Gay Catholics Push for Church Weddings

HisServant

But different states have different parameters about how a marriage is handled and legalized. That was the whole point of the SCOTUS ruling, to give a sort of definitive uniformity.

No, the SCOTUS ruling was that states had to grant marriage licenses to same sex partners... and that the States had to recognize other states same sex marriages as being legal.

There is no requirement that everyone that performs marriage ceremonies are required to marry anyone with a valid license that comes through the door.

Private institutions are still at liberty to perform marriage ceremonies based on criteria they chose.

Officials of the government are required to marry anyone with a valid license though... JotP's cannot refuse, for example.

Quetzal

No, the SCOTUS ruling was that states had to grant marriage licenses to same sex partners... and that the States had to recognize other states same sex marriages as being legal.

There is no requirement that everyone that performs marriage ceremonies are required to marry anyone with a valid license that comes through the door.

Private institutions are still at liberty to perform marriage ceremonies based on criteria they chose.
So, you don't care if they get married, they should just do it outside of a church? Simple logistics problem really.

Quetzal

A judgment by nine old coots without a clue about the will of the majority of Americans.
So long as the separation of Church and State is maintained the law is to be obeyed.
You are just upset they didn't uphold what you wanted. More to the point, acceptance of same-sex marriage continues to rise and I believe, according to the last poll a saw, you are now part of the minority. So, guess what, they did have a clue about the will of the majority of Americans.

HisServant

So, you don't care if they get married, they should just do it outside of a church? Simple logistics problem really.

No, I don't care. Whatever the secular government decides to do is it's business as long as it maintains the separation of church and state.

Unless myself or my family are required to marry a gay person I have no issue with it.

I would hope that anyone that was gay and became a christian would dissolve their marriage and remain celibate though, as the Holy Spirit would undoubtedly lead them to. Seriously, I do not understand why some people who call themselves Christians are actually debating this issue. We all know its wrong and appeasement is never the correct solution.

Quetzal

No, I don't care. Whatever the secular government decides to do is it's business as long as it maintains the separation of church and state.

Unless myself or my family are required to marry a gay person I have no issue with it.

I would hope that anyone that was gay and became a christian would dissolve their marriage and remain celibate though, as the Holy Spirit would undoubtedly lead them to. Seriously, I do not understand why some people who call themselves Christians are actually debating this issue.
Because they are more concerned with the well being and happiness of others. You're right, they a such buzz kills!

HisServant

Because they are more concerned with the well being and happiness of others. You're right, they a such buzz kills!

Appeasing and condoning self destructive behavior is NOT the equivalent of being concerned about the well being and happiness of others.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So why are they pushing for Catholic church weddings?

Most likely to be a pain ... for years of discrimination from people such as yourself.

That doesn't mean, however, that I believe a church pastor shouldn't have the discretion and right to deny marriage to any couple he/she does not wish to marry.

:think: And your argument could be used by pro-choice people: Abortion is legal nationally, a done deal. A woman can go anywhere and get an abortion. So that makes it right, huh? :think:

Oh, apparently you don't understand the difference between ending the human life of an innocent, unborn baby as compared to two consenting adults making the decision to be legally wed.

Odd that you care more about harassing other consenting adults rather than protecting those who cannot protect themselves.

Priorities, priorities.

Quetzal

Appeasing and condoning self destructive behavior is NOT the equivalent of being concerned about the well being and happiness of others.
I am glad you put it in bold, I would have missed it otherwise. More to the point...

That is your opinion and your opinion should not have negative outcomes to people who do not concern you. (Wow, this bold thing is fun!) The same was said about mixed race marriages, too. People grew up, built a bridge, and got over it. You should do the same.

bybee

I am glad you put it in bold, I would have missed it otherwise. More to the point...

That is your opinion and your opinion should not have negative outcomes to people who do not concern you. (Wow, this bold thing is fun!) The same was said about mixed race marriages, too. People grew up, built a bridge, and got over it. You should do the same.

It is specious and unwise to "should" people.
It implies that you are superior in intellect and behavior therefore qualified to judge.
No doubt it would grievously offend you to receive the same treatment?

GFR7

Priorities, priorities.
So you are a judge of what people's priorities should be? I was pointing out, vis a vis your "gay marriage is a done deal", that when it comes to SCOTUS rulings, so is abortion. So apparently you pick and choose what is a valid "done deal" and what is not, as per these rulings.

bybee

You are just upset they didn't uphold what you wanted. More to the point, acceptance of same-sex marriage continues to rise and I believe, according to the last poll a saw, you are now part of the minority. So, guess what, they did have a clue about the will of the majority of Americans.

First, I do not care what consenting adults do. My church has given the clergy freedom to decide for themselves if they will officiate at gay nuptials.
I'm still in the Church. Again, I am not "shoulding" other people.
If I am in the minority so what? No doubt
I shall be in the minority when polygamy and bestiality is endorsed also.
The free sex thing has it's consequences.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So you are a judge of what people's priorities should be?

Just an observer ... :)

Though you are free to continue pretending that CHILDREN have the ability to make decisions and protect themselves in the same way that adults do.

GFR7

Just an observer ... :)

Though you are free to continue pretending that CHILDREN have the ability to make decisions and protect themselves in the same way that adults do.
Would this be true of children conceived via 3rd party reproduction - surrogacy/sperm donation - for a gay married couple?

TracerBullet

A judgment by nine old coots without a clue about the will of the majority of Americans.
So long as the separation of Church and State is maintained the law is to be obeyed.

rights don't come from popular opinion - that is why they are called rights.

HisServant

This has to do with a private institution.... they can admit whomever they want... and not admit whoever they want.

For Christians, scriptures are sacred and a kind of guide book.... Homosexuality is not compatible with Christian values. It's called freedom of religion.

bybee

rights don't come from popular opinion - that is why they are called rights.

Agreed.
I guess it is not a "right" to choose one's market?
Or to fly the flag of one's country on one's property? I mean the flag of the United States of America in which I reside.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Would this be true of children conceived via 3rd party reproduction - surrogacy/sperm donation - for a gay married couple?

Wow, you seriously cannot pull yourself away from the what goes on in the bedrooms of other consenting adults, can you?

The topic is churches and gay weddings. Not 3rd party reproduction, a procedure that BOTH heterosexuals and homosexuals utilize. IF you wish to discuss it, start another thread.

Quetzal

It is specious and unwise to "should" people.
It implies that you are superior in intellect and behavior therefore qualified to judge.
No doubt it would grievously offend you to receive the same treatment?
The difference is my line of thought isn't oppressing anyone and isn't based on a text written 1700+ years ago.

Quetzal

First, I do not care what consenting adults do. My church has given the clergy freedom to decide for themselves if they will officiate at gay nuptials.
I'm still in the Church. Again, I am not "shoulding" other people.
If I am in the minority so what? No doubt
I shall be in the minority when polygamy and bestiality is endorsed also.
The free sex thing has it's consequences.
Slippery slope fallacy! Drink! :cheers: