Harassment

frugalmom

Night Elf
Have any of you homeschool teachers been harassed for homeschooling? Do you regularly get snide comments from strangers who see you in public with your kids during public school hours? What are some of your comebacks? :D

I've read lots of articles about homeschooling harassment. Seems like certain states are pretty bad about it. :down: Plus you can tell from the tone of the liberal posters at TOL that they can't stand to hear of children being homeschooled. So to that I say WAY TO GO HOMESCHOOLING PARENTS!! :bannana: :jump: :cheers: :drum: :guitar: :singer: :party:

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:chuckle: About two years ago, my plumber called DFS on me because, "my daughter wasn't attending school." :chuckle: I get comments about it all the time. But, I ask them if they want "proof" that my daughter's being educated. :chuckle: When they say yes, I ask her some off the wall question about math, history, or geography that the average adult here doesn't know about. :chuckle

frugalmom

Night Elf
Originally posted by ebenz47037
:chuckle: About two years ago, my plumber called DFS on me because, "my daughter wasn't attending school." :chuckle: I get comments about it all the time. But, I ask them if they want "proof" that my daughter's being educated. :chuckle: When they say yes, I ask her some off the wall question about math, history, or geography that the average adult here doesn't know about. :chuckle

Haha! I bet that shuts them up! :chuckle:

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by frugalmom
Haha! I bet that shuts them up! :chuckle:

Yep! :chuckle: It's particularly funny when we're talking to public school teachers and she shows off that she's "smarter" than they are. :chuckle:

frugalmom

Night Elf
Yep! :chuckle: It's particularly funny when we're talking to public school teachers and she shows off that she's "smarter" than they are. :chuckle:

I can imagine :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: BTW congrats on homeschooling your daughter and not taking the "easy way out" and "free daycare". It's so sad more parents don't see the public school dangers and homeschool their children.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My daughter's been mostly homeschooled since second grade. She's in eighth/ninth grade now. We took 1/2 year off from homeschooling right after my husband passed away. And, then, I taught Spanish at a private school for 1/2 a year a year later. So, since second grade, she's had 1/2 year in public school and 1/2 year in private school. The rest has been homeschool

Granite

Hall of Fame
I'm the oldest of seven, and all of us have been homeschooled. Taking the entire family out in public after school hours was always a real hoot--taking us out during the day (which we avoided whenever possible; no sense in drawing unwanted attention) always forced us to run the risk of encountering either smarmy comments or completely hostile people.

We always got more comments about our family size than the fact that we weren't in school--anybody relate to that? "My, are all these kids yours???"

granite

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I used to be so concerned over taking my kids out in public during school hours when I first started homeschooling. I didn't want them to play outside either. Now I don't even think about it. They're my children. I decide when they can go out of the house for any reason. I won't be a prisoner in my own home.

frugalmom

Night Elf
Originally posted by Poly
I used to be so concerned over taking my kids out in public during school hours when I first started homeschooling. I didn't want them to play outside either. Now I don't even think about it. They're my children. I decide when they can go out of the house for any reason. I won't be a prisoner in my own home.

Way to go.:thumb:
I feel sorry for the idiot who gets nosy with Poly LOL.:chuckle:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Way to go.:thumb:
I feel sorry for the idiot who gets nosy with Poly LOL.:chuckle:

:box: :D

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Poly
:box: :D

:chuckle: Poly, I get so many people asking me (lately) about socialization. :chuckle: I tell them that's what the youth group at church is for.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:chuckle: Poly, I get so many people asking me (lately) about socialization. :chuckle: I tell them that's what the youth group at church is for.
Yeah, a group of kids usually not acting like barbarians and actually somewhat respectful of adults and peers. Yeah I'd say that's a great place for socialization. :thumb:

ShadowMaid

One girl in my ballet class told me that my socialization is a problem. I said that my GRANDpa owned a business and that I've dealt with all kinds of people.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ShadowMaid
One girl in my ballet class told me that my socialization is a problem. I said that my GRANDpa owned a business and that I've dealt with all kinds of people.
It's all people have left to complain about when it comes to homeschoolers. They know they can't complain about their acadamic skills so they rely on the so called socialization problem.

frugalmom

Night Elf

You know what's sad? That girl is just repeating the bogus cliche she has heard. She has no idea.

Zimfan

When I asked you about where you get your socialization I waas using it with a negative connotation,. e.g. numbers 1 and 3 from this definition I found. I was using it as a synonym for brainwashing.

1. To place under government or group ownership or control.
2. To make fit for companionship with others; make sociable.
3. To convert or adapt to the needs of society.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Re: Harassment

Have any of you homeschool teachers been harassed for homeschooling? Do you regularly get snide comments from strangers who see you in public with your kids during public school hours? What are some of your comebacks? :D

I've read lots of articles about homeschooling harassment. Seems like certain states are pretty bad about it. :down: Plus you can tell from the tone of the liberal posters at TOL that they can't stand to hear of children being homeschooled. So to that I say WAY TO GO HOMESCHOOLING PARENTS!! :bannana: :jump: :cheers: :drum: :guitar: :singer: :party:
We are a hockey family as well as a homeschool family so..... we don't get much harassment. :eek:

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

You should point out that you can socialize respectfully with any age group. You're not forced to sit in a classroom for 7 hours a day with only your own age group. :)

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Zimfan
When I asked you about where you get your socialization I waas using it with a negative connotation,. e.g. numbers 1 and 3 from this definition I found. I was using it as a synonym for brainwashing.

1. To place under government or group ownership or control.
2. To make fit for companionship with others; make sociable.
3. To convert or adapt to the needs of society.

Zimfan,

I was talking about the general public in real life, not you. :chuckle: