Inspirational Quotes quoted on TOL

Buzzword

"The question of something being one’s business or not held a central position in the ethics of Ethel Klayman, whose major tenet was the supreme importance of minding one’s own."
-Michael Chabon, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay

"Why put yourself in charge of Heaven’s cause?
Does Heaven need our help to enforce its laws?
Leave vengeance to the Lord, Sir; while we live,
Our duty’s not to punish, but forgive."
-Moliere, Tartuffe

"Noise is relative to the silence preceding it. The more absolute the hush, the more shocking the thunderclap. Our masters have not heard the people’s voice for generations, Evey, and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."
-Alan Moore, V for Vendetta

"The biggest threat facing America today – next to socialized medicine, the Dyson vacuum cleaner, and the recumbent bicycle – is Gay Marriage."
-Stephen Colbert, I Am America (And So Can You!)

"The truth is that all of these branches in this tree called Christianity are a bit defective. But each adds to the beauty of the whole. What a tragedy if we were to cut off all but one of the limbs. But what riches are to be found if we can humbly listen and learn from one another, appreciating our differences, while together seeking to follow Christ."
-Adam Hamilton, Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White

"It’s a short distance from ‘God’s way is my way’ to ‘My way is God’s way.’"
-Brian MacLaren, Adventures in Missing the Point

"The world is always a democracy in times of flux, and the man with the best voice will win. Everybody thinks Hitler got to power because of his armies, because they were willing to kill, and that's partly true, because in the real world power is always built on the threat of death and dishonor. But mostly he got to power on words, on the right words at the right time."
-Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game

"Never in the field of human profit has so much been made by so few for doing so little."
-Christopher Buckley, Florence of Arabia

"…beware the man who says he knows God’s will. He is like a horse that believes it controls its rider."
-Bernard Cornwell, Agincourt

...and yes, I do collect quotes.

Charity

smile

smile

“To
avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.”
~ Elbert Hubbard

“He
has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help.”
~ Abraham
Lincoln

“Criticism
may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function
as pain in the "human body". It calls attention to an unhealthy state of
things.”
~Winston
Churchill

Arthur Brain

Some great quotes from a certain Mr Oscar Wilde....

One can survive everything, nowadays, except death, and live down everything except a good reputation.

One should always play fairly when one has the winning cards.

The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible.

Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.

Wisdom comes with winters.

Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

:e4e:

Buzzword

"Someday, after we have mastered the air, the winds, the tides and gravity, we will harness for God the energies of love. And then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire."
-Teilhard de Chardin

“It wasn't until quite late in life that I discovered how easy it is to say, ‘I don't know.’"
-Somerset Maugham

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
-Abraham Lincoln

"Of all the forces that make for a better world, none is so indispensable, none so powerful, as hope. Without hope men are only half alive."
-Charles Sawyer

"If there is righteousness in the heart, there will be beauty in the character. If there be beauty in the character, there will be harmony in the home. If there is harmony in the home, there will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, there will be peace in the world."
-Chinese proverb

"Three enemies of personal peace: regrets over yesterday's mistakes, anxiety over tomorrow's problems, and ingratitude for today's blessings."
-William A. Ward

"All things come to him who waits, provided he knows what he is waiting for."
-Woodrow Wilson

"There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world, and that is an idea whose time has come."
-Victor Hugo

"The most important thing not to stop is questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity."
-Albert Einstein

“If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
-John Stuart Mill

“The joy of understanding is a sad joy, yet those who have once tasted it would not exchange it for all the frivolous gaieties and empty hopes of the vulgar herd.”
-Anatole France

"Do not deny the classical approach, simply as a reaction, or you will have created another pattern and trapped yourself there."
-Bruce Lee

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."
-Bertrand Russell

“There should be a law, I thought. If you support a war, if you think it’s worth the price, that’s fine, but you have to put your own precious fluids on the line. You have to head for the front and hook up with an infantry unit and help spill the blood. And you have to bring along your wife, or your kids, or your lover.”
-Tim O’Brien, The Things They Carried

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put."
-Sir Winston Churchill

“It is not that Christianity has been tried and found wanting. It is that it has never been tried.”
-G.K. Chesterton

"Yeah. Listen, I'm Zaphod Beeblebrox, my father was Zaphod Beeblebrox the Second, my grandfather Zaphod Beeblebrox the Third..."
"What?"
"There was an accident with a contraceptive and a time machine. Now concentrate!"
-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is a daring adventure, or nothing."
-Helen Keller

“The only difference between a rut and a grave are the dimensions.”
-Ann Landers

“You’ve got to jump off cliffs all the time and build your wings on the way down.”
-Ray Bradbury

“Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
-John F. Kennedy

Charity

OH MAN! I wish Amelia Mary Earhart had of Made it to see where are all the female Pilots are today :) .

"Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn't be done."

"The soul's dominion? Each time we make a choice, we pay with courage to behold restless day and count it fair."

"Worry retards reaction and makes clear-cut decisions impossible."

"The field was wet, the lane was wet and the spirits of my mechanic and helper were damp."

"...now and then women should do for themselves what men have already done - occasionally what men have not done--thereby establishing themselves as persons, and perhaps encouraging other women toward greater independence of thought and action. Some such consideration was a contributing reason for my wanting to do what I so much wanted to do."

"[Women] must pay for everything.... They do get more glory than men for comparable feats. But, also, women get more notoriety when they crash."

"My ambition is to have this wonderful gift produce practical results for the future of commercial flying and for the women who may want to fly tomorrow's planes."

-Amelia Earhart

Charity

How beautiful is the blood sweat an tears of abandon art! employed by the Vadican.

have offended God and mankind because my work didn't reach the quality it should have.
Leonardo da Vinci

“I am a poor man and of little worth, who is laboring in that art that God has given me in order to extend my life as long as possible.”
Michelangelo

Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using his intelligence; he is just using his memory.
Leonardo da Vinci

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
Michelangelo

I have wasted my hours.
Leonardo da Vinci

There are three classes of people: those who see, those who see when they are shown, those who do not see.
Leonardo da Vinci

“After four tortured years, more than 400 over life-sized figures, I felt as old and as weary as Jeremiah. I was only 37, yet friends did not recognize the old man I had become.”
Michelangelo

I love those who can smile in trouble, who can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but they whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves their conduct, will pursue their principles unto death.
Leonardo da Vinci

Common Sense is that which judges the things given to it by other senses.
Leonardo da Vinci
I live in sin, to kill myself I live; no longer my life my own, but sin's; my good is given to me by heaven, my evil by myself, by my free will, of which I am deprived.
Michelangelo

Last edited:

bybee

How beautiful is the blood sweat an tears of abandon art! employed by the Vadican.

have offended God and mankind because my work didn't reach the quality it should have.
Leonardo da Vinci

“I am a poor man and of little worth, who is laboring in that art that God has given me in order to extend my life as long as possible.”
Michelangelo

Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using his intelligence; he is just using his memory.
Leonardo da Vinci

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
Michelangelo

I have wasted my hours.
Leonardo da Vinci

There are three classes of people: those who see, those who see when they are shown, those who do not see.
Leonardo da Vinci

“After four tortured years, more than 400 over life-sized figures, I felt as old and as weary as Jeremiah. I was only 37, yet friends did not recognize the old man I had become.”
Michelangelo

I love those who can smile in trouble, who can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but they whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves their conduct, will pursue their principles unto death.
Leonardo da Vinci

Common Sense is that which judges the things given to it by other senses.
Leonardo da Vinci
I live in sin, to kill myself I live; no longer my life my own, but sin's; my good is given to me by heaven, my evil by myself, by my free will, of which I am deprived.
Michelangelo

Words of wisdom. Thanks for sharing.

Charity

"The how thinker gets problems solved effectively because he wastes no time with futile ifs."

Norman Vincent Peale

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do
so, too."

-- Voltaire

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Genesis 16: 7-13

7 Now the Angel of the LORD found her by a spring of water in the wilderness, by the spring on the way to Shur. 8 And He said, “Hagar, Sarai’s maid, where have you come from, and where are you going?”
She said, “I am fleeing from the presence of my mistress Sarai.”
9 The Angel of the LORD said to her, “Return to your mistress, and submit yourself under her hand.” 10 Then the Angel of the LORD said to her, “I will multiply your descendants exceedingly, so that they shall not be counted for multitude.” 11 And the Angel of the LORD said to her:

“ Behold, you are with child,
And you shall bear a son.
You shall call his name Ishmael,
Because the LORD has heard your affliction.
12 He shall be a wild man;
His hand shall be against every man,
And every man’s hand against him.
And he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren.”
13 Then she called the name of the LORD who spoke to her, You-Are-the-God-Who-Sees; for she said, “Have I also here seen Him who sees me?” 14 Therefore the well was called Beer Lahai Roi;[a] observe, it is between Kadesh and Bered.

Buzzword

“Celebrity is a mask that eats into the face.”
-John Updike

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is a daring adventure, or nothing."
-Helen Keller

“All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does, and that is his.”
-Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."
-Bertrand Russell

:p Apologies for repeats at this point.

Krsto

"A people who eat ice cream in sub-zero weather will never be defeated." - Winston Churchhill on a visit to Moscow

"The kind of thinking that will solve the world's problems will be of a different order to the kind of thinking that created them in the first place." - Albert Einstein

Problems result when we do not allow our theories to undergo critical analysis. It is extremely important to avoid our own protectionist attitude. We must be willing to face the possibility that our ideas about reality will not stand under debate. If we are unable to face such an outcome then we are not interested in truth, but only keeping our own little world intact. This is a very difficult step to take for a Christianity that is plagued with insecurities. - Roy Hershberger in A Religion of Irrelevance

Krsto originals:

He who walks in circles never gets lost.

I've never met a tax break I didn't like.

Charity

"Small minds discuss people. Average minds discuss events. Great minds discuss ideas.”

“if we were forced to choose just one, there would be no way to deny that Judaism is the most important intellectual development in human history.”

- David Gelernter, Yale University Professor

“Mankind, East and West, Christian and Muslim, accepted the Jewish conviction that there is only one G-d. Today it is polytheism that is so difficult to understand, that is so unthinkable.”

- T.R. Grover, The Ancient World, p. 186

”...whatever other qualities Jews may posses, likable or the reverse, no one who knows them well can deny that they are personally interesting. By that I mean, specially alive, alert, quick at comprehending people or events and at making pungent or witty comments on them… One might at times find the rather hothouse family atmosphere, with it intensities and frictions, somewhat trying, but one could be sure of never being bored.”

- Ernest Jones - British psychoanalyst (1879-1958)

“So prominent was the Jewish role in the foreign commerce of Europe that those nations that received the Jews gained and the countries that excluded them lost in the volume of international trade.”

- Will Durant, The Story of Civilization - The Reformation. (New York: Simon & Shuster, 1953)

“Some people like the Jews, and some do not. But no thoughtful man can deny the fact that they are, beyond any question, the most formidable and the most remarkable race which has appeared in the world.”

- Winston Churchill - Prime Minister of Great Britain

”...it would be a mistake…to ascribe to Roman legal conceptions an undivided sway over the development of law and institutions during the Middle Ages… The Laws of Moses as well as the laws of Rome contributed suggestions and impulse to the men and institutions which
were to prepare the modern world; and if we could have but eyes to see… we should readily discover how very much besides religion we owe to the Jew.”

- U.S. President Woodrow Wilson in his The State

"hosanna to the Son of David" Alert an Quick!"hosanna in the highest" No end to His throne on Earth.

Charity

“A man's mother is his misfortune, but his wife is his fault”
Walter Bagehot

“The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.”
Walter Bagehot

“What impresses men is not mind, but the result of mind.”
Walter Bagehot

“No great work has ever been produced except after a long interval of still and musing meditation”
Walter Bagehot

“The being without an opinion is so painful to human nature that most people will leap to a hasty opinion rather than undergo it.”
Walter Bagehot

“The reason why so few good books are written is that so few people who can write know anything”
Walter Bagehot

“A slight daily unconscious luxury is hardly ever wanting to the dwellers in civilization; like the gentle air of a genial climate, it is a perpetual minute enjoyment.”
Walter Bagehot

“Public opinion is a permeating influence, and it exacts obedience to itself; it requires us to drink other men's thoughts, to speak other men's words, to follow other men's habits.”
Walter Bagehot

“Open-mindedness should not be fostered because, as Scripture teaches, Truth is great and will prevail, nor because, as Milton suggests, Truth will always win in a free and open encounter. It should be fostered for its own sake.”
Walter Bagehot

Charity

Roman Quotes

We, to some degree, are like what we are because we inherited certain things from the Greeks and the Romans. One of them that's so striking is the whole area of politics.
Donald Kagan

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
Marcus Aurelius (Roman emperor, best known for his Meditations on Stoic philosophy, AD 121-180)

“Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart.”
Marcus Aurelius quotes (Roman emperor, best known for his Meditations on Stoic philosophy, AD 121-180)

“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.”
Seneca (Roman philosopher, mid-1st century AD)

“Anger: an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.”
Seneca (Roman philosopher, mid-1st century AD)

“I often regret that I have spoken; never that I have been silent.”
Publilius Syrus (Roman author, 1st century B.C.)

“You should make a woman angry if you wish her to love”
Publilius Syrus (Roman author, 1st century B.C.)

“Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking”
Marcus Aurelius quotes (Roman emperor, best known for his Meditations on Stoic philosophy, AD 121-180)

“Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.”
Saint Augustine quotes (Ancient Roman Christian Theologian and Bishop of Hippo from 396 to 430. One of the Latin Fathers of the Church. 354-430)

Historical Quotations, Not terrible in the KNOW HOW?

Emperor Vespasian 9 - 79 AD
"Pecunia non olet" (Money has no smell)

When fatally ill:
"Woe is me. I think I am becoming a god."

Lucretius c.94 - 55 BC
"So much wrong could religion induce."
"Nothing can be created out of nothing."
"And in a short while the generations of living creatures are changed and like runners relay the torch of life."
"Lovely it is, when the winds are churning up the waves on the great sea, to gaze out from the land on the great efforts of someone else."

Catullus c.84 - 54 BC
"Atque in perpetuum, frater, ave atque vale."
(And so, my brother, hail, and farewell evermore!)
"Odi et amo: auare id faciam, fortasse requiris. Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior."
(I hate and I love: why I do so you may well ask. I do not know, but I feel it happen and am in agony.)

Horace 65 - 8 BC
"There is moderation in everything."

From Ars Poetica:
"Scholars dispute, and the case is still before the courts."
"I strive to be brief, and I become obscure."
"Tiresome, complaining, a praiser of past times."
"A poem is like a painting."

From Epistles:
"If possible honestly, if not. Somehow, make money."
"We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
"Not bound to swear allegiance to any master, wherever the wind takes me I travel as a visitor."
"You may drive out nature with a pitchfork, yet she'll be constantly running back."
"And once sent out, a word takes wing beyond recall."
"For it is your business, when the wall next door catches fire."
"Skilled or unskilled, we all scribble poems."

From Odes:
"Never despair."
"Lovely and honorable it is to die for one's country."
"Mix a little foolishness with your prudence: it's good to be silly at the right moment."

Charity

"Wisdom is worried for being slow in its speech and expeditious in its actions." .– Confucius

"If you want to know your past, then look at your present for it's the outcome. If you want to know your future look at your present which is the cause." .– Buddha

“I warn you, whoever you are, Oh, you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you be able to find it outside. If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies? In you is hidden the treasure of treasures. Oh, man, know yourself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods!” Phrase inscribed in the ancient Temple of Delphi.

"See as yours the earning of your fellow man, and as yours his losses".– (Tao Te King)

T
The Earth turns
The Gods do battle
even the past is up for grabs, "Hence" still awaiting! become present reality; bloody victory.

Charity

before its to Late; many more will be kept too busy to care

before its to Late; many more will be kept too busy to care

A German's View on Islam - worth reading.

A man, whose family was German aristocracy prior to World War II, owned a number of large industries and estates. When asked how many German people were true Nazis, the answer he gave can guide our attitude toward fanaticism.

'Very few people were true Nazis,' he said, 'but many enjoyed the return of German pride, and many more were too busy to care. I was one of those who just thought the Nazis were a bunch of fools. So, the majority just sat back and let it all happen. Then, before we knew it, they owned us, and we had lost control, and the end of the world had come. My family lost everything. I ended up in a concentration camp and the Allies destroyed my factories.'

We are told again and again by 'experts' and 'talking heads' that Islam is the religion of peace and that the vast majority of Muslims just want to live in peace. Although this unqualified assertion may be true, it is entirely irrelevant. It is meaningless fluff, meant to make us feel better, and meant to somehow diminish the spectre of fanatics rampaging across the globe in the name of Islam.

The fact is that the fanatics rule Islam at this moment in history. It is the fanatics who march. It is the fanatics who wage any one of 50 shooting wars worldwide. It is the fanatics who systematically slaughter Christian or tribal groups throughout Africa and are gradually taking over the entire continent in an Islamic wave. It is the fanatics who bomb, behead, murder, or honour-kill. It is the fanatics who take over mosque after mosque. It is the fanatics who zealously spread the stoning and hanging of rape victims and homosexuals. It is the fanatics who teach their young to kill and to become suicide bombers.

The hard, quantifiable fact is that the peaceful majority, the 'silent majority,' is cowed and extraneous. Communist Russia was comprised of Russians who just wanted to live in peace, yet the Russian Communists were responsible for the murder of about 20 million people. The peaceful majority were irrelevant. China's huge population was peaceful as well, but Chinese Communists managed to kill a staggering 70 million people..

The average Japanese individual prior to World War II was not a warmongering sadist. Yet, Japan murdered and slaughtered its way across South East Asia in an orgy of killing that included the systematic murder of 12 million Chinese civilians; most killed by sword, shovel, and bayonet. And who can forget Rwanda , which collapsed into butchery. Could it not be said that the majority of Rwandans were 'peace loving'?

History lessons are often incredibly simple and blunt, yet for all our powers of reason, we often miss the most basic and uncomplicated of points: peace-loving Muslims have been made irrelevant by their silence. Peace-loving Muslims will become our enemy if they don't speak up, because like my friend from Germany , they will awaken one day and find that the fanatics own them, and the end of their world will have begun.

Peace-loving Germans, Japanese, Chinese, Russians, Rwandans, Serbs, Afghans, Iraqis, Palestinians, Somalis, Nigerians, Algerians, and many others have died because the peaceful majority did not speak up until it was too late.

Now Islamic prayers have been introduced into Toronto and other public schools in Ontario , and, yes, in Ottawa too while the Lord's Prayer was removed (due to being so offensive?) The Islamic way may be peaceful for the time being in our country until the fanatics move in.

In Australia , and indeed in many countries around the world, many of the most commonly consumed food items have the halal emblem on them. Just look at the back of some of the most popular chocolate bars, and at other food items in your local supermarket. Food on aircraft have the halal emblem (see the attachment), just to appease the privileged minority who are now rapidly expanding within the nation’s shores.

In the U.K, the Muslim communities refuse to integrate and there are now dozens of “no-go” zones within major cities across the country that the police force dare not intrude upon. Sharia law prevails there, because the Muslim community in those areas refuse to acknowledge British law.

As for us who watch it all unfold, we must pay attention to the only group that counts -- the fanatics who threaten our way of life.

Lastly, anyone who doubts that the issue is serious and just deletes this email without sending it on, is contributing to the passiveness that allows the problems to expand. So, extend yourself a bit and send this on and on and on! Let us hope that thousands, world-wide, read this and think about it, and send it on - before it's too late.

And we are silent...SHARE IF YOU AGREE

Charity

"Work for a cause, not for applause. Live your life to express, not to impress, don't strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt."

An of corse, working for millions of stars an not dollars
-Author unknown

Charity

"Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go, just remember how far you have come. Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome."

-- Author Unknown

Charity

Yes, that's it, the word I want is ......

Befuddled
I insist, u need something to drink, I like to be control , horses arnt the same as cars, you can't make a phone call from a horse. Compromising the kings pleasure. None the wiser?

Unknown