My own journey as a Christian

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
As most of you know, I've been with TOL since before my husband passed away in January of 1999. Before Steve died, I considered myself strong in my faith. I wasn't as strong as I thought. I blamed God for Steve dying. He was a 39 year old man who died instantly from a massive stroke. He was part of my reason for living. At his funeral, a lot of people came up to me telling me that God must have a really huge plan for me because, 30 years old, I had gone through so much. All those words did for me was to make me question my faith more and more. I didn't want to believe in a God who would take everything from me just because he "had a plan for my life." I thought about all of that for two years and came on the verge of giving up my Christian faith because of it. Like so many people, I could easily blame my failing faith on what others said or did to me. All they did was make me question more and more why I believed in such a God.

Then, I went to visit my brother. My brother was a youth pastor at the time. He told me that I needed to open my eyes and realize that God doesn't cause everything to happen. But, He will use everything that happens to test and/or strengthen His children. Except for TOL, I had never heard that before. When I got home from visiting my brother, my dear friends on TOL started telling me the same thing my brother did. The difference was, this time, I chose to pay attention to what they said to me. Within two weeks, I decided to rededicate myself to God and to look at what I was going through as more of a test than as someone I loved being taken away from me.

Now, sixteen (almost seventeen) years later, I can honestly say that my faith in God is stronger than it ever has been. I have come to realize that what my brother told me was true. I have also come to realize that my faith is my own. No one can cause me to stumble or fall by what they say or do to me. Some people can cause me to question my faith. But, what I do after that is my responsibility. And, I cannot with all honesty blame others for the things I choose to do with my life.

Beautiful testimony, you are a very strong woman and praise the Lord for putting people into your path to help you in that devastating time of need.

When my son was murdered, in my flesh it was tempting to blame Him, too. It would have been really easy in all the grief but I know that God is not who made the one who murdered him, choose to do so.

You are so right that people and events can cause us to question what we think and believe but the ultimate responsibility for seeking out the truth of a matter, is ours.

God bless you so much for sharing that.

alwight

That's not at all what I said. What I said was that our conceptions of reality are not real. They are, in fact, "delusions". They are elaborate conceptual inventions intended to help us pretend that we know what's going on. When we actually know very little.
So how can we actually know anything with a certainty? Some people seem to think they know well enough for a religious fundamentalist zealotry?

PureX

So how can we actually know anything with a certainty? Some people seem to think they know well enough for a religious fundamentalist zealotry?
We can't. And we don't. But some people are SO FRIGHTENED of being wrong, that they turn their delusions of reality into an imagined absolute, and then defend it by any means and at any cost. They become dangerous zealots.

It's not the delusions, themselves, that pose the problem. It's the zealot's inordinate fear, and their extreme reactions because of it. They will do anything to anyone to maintain their delusions of righteousness. Even fly airplanes into buildings full of people.

The antidote to all this zealotry is humility, and faith (as opposed to a blind and absolute belief in our delusions, religious or otherwise). But I don't know how we can get these people to let go of their absolute beliefs and humble themselves when they are so panic-stricken by the idea of being wrong, or of not knowing what's going on, regarding everything. It's clear that confronting them head on doesn't work. But what would?

I don't know.

bybee

We can't. And we don't. But some people are SO FRIGHTENED of being wrong, that they turn their delusions of reality into an imagined absolute, and then defend it by any means and at any cost. They become dangerous zealots.

It's not the delusions, themselves, that pose the problem. It's the zealot's inordinate fear, and their extreme reactions because of it. They will do anything to anyone to maintain their delusions of righteousness. Even fly airplanes into buildings full of people.

The antidote to all this zealotry is humility, and faith (as opposed to a blind and absolute belief in our delusions, religious or otherwise). But I don't know how we can get these people to let go of their absolute beliefs and humble themselves when they are so panic-stricken by the idea of being wrong, or of not knowing what's going on, regarding everything. It's clear that confronting them head on doesn't work. But what would?

I don't know.

Head on confrontations do not work BECAUSE there is a presumption on each side of righteousness.
:luigi::luigi:
To walk humbly with one's God is to put outcomes in the hand of God whilst seeking peace with one's neighbor.
To walk humbly with one's God most assuredly hasn't room for the presumption of judgment.
Yet we must be careful in our words, the deeds of our hands and the way of our feet.

PureX

Head on confrontations do not work BECAUSE there is a presumption on each side of righteousness.
:luigi::luigi:
To walk humbly with one's God is to put outcomes in the hand of God whilst seeking peace with one's neighbor.
To walk humbly with one's God most assuredly hasn't room for the presumption of judgment.
Yet we must be careful in our words, the deeds of our hands and the way of our feet.
It's an almost impossible task.

We need to be honest, and yet honestly, we are far from perfect, ourselves. So we WILL screw up just by being who we are. It's inevitable. And yet without that authenticity, we have little to offer anyone, really.

All the more reason that we all need to maintain an environment of forgiveness and mercy. And empathy, if we can.

PureX

it will be done through your neighbor
if
God needs to talk to you
For me, the essence of Christianity is relating to God through each other. It's why I tend to harp so often against people confusing their religion with their God. In doing that, they end up using their religion to cut their fellow humans out of the relationship. In fact, that's often WHY they do it. And to me, this is fundamentally unChristian!

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
For me, the essence of Christianity is relating to God through each other. It's why I tend to harp so often against people confusing their religion with their God. In doing that, they end up using their religion to cut their fellow humans out of the relationship. In fact, that's often WHY they do it. And to me, this is fundamentally unChristian!

without religion you would be still worshiping that stone

Eric h

Either, at least One God created the universe and life, or there is no god.

The creation of the universe is history, there cannot be a possible or maybe god.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
As most of you know, I've been with TOL since before my husband passed away in January of 1999. Before Steve died, I considered myself strong in my faith. I wasn't as strong as I thought. I blamed God for Steve dying. He was a 39 year old man who died instantly from a massive stroke. He was part of my reason for living. At his funeral, a lot of people came up to me telling me that God must have a really huge plan for me because, 30 years old, I had gone through so much. All those words did for me was to make me question my faith more and more. I didn't want to believe in a God who would take everything from me just because he "had a plan for my life." I thought about all of that for two years and came on the verge of giving up my Christian faith because of it. Like so many people, I could easily blame my failing faith on what others said or did to me. All they did was make me question more and more why I believed in such a God.

Then, I went to visit my brother. My brother was a youth pastor at the time. He told me that I needed to open my eyes and realize that God doesn't cause everything to happen. But, He will use everything that happens to test and/or strengthen His children. Except for TOL, I had never heard that before. When I got home from visiting my brother, my dear friends on TOL started telling me the same thing my brother did. The difference was, this time, I chose to pay attention to what they said to me. Within two weeks, I decided to rededicate myself to God and to look at what I was going through as more of a test than as someone I loved being taken away from me.

Now, sixteen (almost seventeen) years later, I can honestly say that my faith in God is stronger than it ever has been. I have come to realize that what my brother told me was true. I have also come to realize that my faith is my own. No one can cause me to stumble or fall by what they say or do to me. Some people can cause me to question my faith. But, what I do after that is my responsibility. And, I cannot with all honesty blame others for the things I choose to do with my life.

Thank you for your testimony, your witness....your life.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I tripped merrily to the waters, I thought to dabble me toes therein.

God picked me up and chucked me in the deep end, I thought I would drown, everyone said "she's gunna drown"

But I did not drown, I learned to swim, I love the Lord more each day.

Eric h

Originally Posted by Eric h
Either, at least One God created the universe and life, or there is no god.

The creation of the universe is history, there cannot be a possible or maybe god.

So what do you actually know from that deduction?

God is not an academic exercise that you debate endlessly about, there is the need to do something.

fzappa13

Nori,

1 Pet 4:12 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:

13 But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.

14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.

15 But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters.

16 Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?