NAACP leader outed as white

GFR7

Interesting. Her own parents outed her, and from her teen picture, we can see why.... :think: The problems of identity politics......

naacp-leader.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-dolezal-lied-black-parents-article-1.2255743

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yeah, caught this story this morning...very strange. Shoulda just been honest. Not the first time a white person's been busted appropriating another culture slash identity, though. Stupid and unnecessary.

GFR7

Yeah, caught this story this morning...very strange. Shoulda just been honest. Not the first time a white person's been busted appropriating another culture slash identity, though. Stupid and unnecessary.
Well, this is what I don't like about identity politics: Human rights and equality should be for all. Not splintered into black, gay, women. Years ago at another University, a gay studies Professor was outed for being straight. :nono:

Granite

Hall of Fame
I don't have a real beef with people who identify with a particular group so long as they have a legitimate claim to stake. If you're impersonating or simply lying, that's a separate issue.

GFR7

I don't have a real beef with people who identify with a particular group so long as they have a legitimate claim to stake. If you're impersonating or simply lying, that's a separate issue.
Well, she ought to have been allowed to help as an NAACP head acting as anopenly white person, and to teach the Africana courses as a white person.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Well, she ought to have been allowed to help as an NAACP head acting as anopenly white person, and to teach the Africana courses as a white person.

This much isn't in dispute, and there's nothing I'm aware of that prevented her from doing just that. Speculating here but it seems she wanted to add some credibility to her work by passing as black.

GFR7

This much isn't in dispute, and there's nothing I'm aware of that prevented her from doing just that. Speculating here but it seems she wanted to add some credibility to her work by passing as black.
I kind of feel sorry for her, and her parents seem rather mean to be doing this to her as the stakes are so high with her teaching career and with all her NAACP conferences history. :(

Granite

Hall of Fame
I kind of feel sorry for her, and her parents seem rather mean to be doing this to her as the stakes are so high with her teaching career and with all her NAACP conferences history. :(

To a point, I agree, but she's done this to herself. The woman's an inveterate liar and created a pseudo biography, claimed her adopted (black) brother was her son...and so forth. Definitely a few lines crossed here. It's a real shame, though, because as you said she's done a lot of genuinely good work. And now it's all for naught because she wanted to be something other than herself.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Well, this is what I don't like about identity politics: Human rights and equality should be for all. Not splintered into black, gay, women.

Very true. But none of those groups asked to be singled out to be abused for being what they had been classified into.

I don't see the reason in someone who thinks blacks (for example) should be treated differently, objecting to blacks acting as a group.

It smacks of sophistry to me.

OCTOBER23

WE ARE ALL MIXED FROM ADAM AND EVE AND THEIR SON STEVE.

She just wants a permanent Tan.

Last edited:

The Berean

What a strange story. As far as I know the NAACP has no restrictions on their leadership being black. The NAACP was founded by mostly white people and historically their leadership has had significant white leaders.

Granite

Hall of Fame
What a strange story. As far as I know the NAACP has no restrictions on their leadership black. The NAACP was founded by mostly white people and historically their leadership had significant white leaders.

Yeah, seems like she got just lost or caught in a part she invented for herself.