Petitions

Petitions

• No, I will not support marriage rights for homosexuals.

Votes: 53 86.9%
  • Yes, I will support the right of homosexuals to be married.

Votes: 8 13.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

beanieboy

Unfortunately, the US doesn't work this way.
The Majority (85% or something) identify as christian.
But you couldn't start and pass a ban on being Jewish, or Muslim, simply because the majority says they want to.

This is the first amendment that has ever been presented to actually prevent rights of another. It's historical, actually.

Not only is it now not legal for two people of the same sex to marry, but they want to ban it from ever becoming legal.

Kind of overkill, don't you think?

C

cattyfan

This is the first amendment that has ever been presented to actually prevent rights of another. It's historical, actually.

no, it doesn't restrict rights. Historically, marriage has ALWAYS been defined as taking place between one man and one woman. this is the SAME FOR EVERYONE. no ones rights would be any different, therefore it can't be said the amendment would prevent rights for anyone. It would, however, prevent the redefining of marriage and the abuse of the right to marry.

(by the way, historical is "based on people or events of the past, or established by history." you wanted to use either historic or precedent setting.)

C

cattyfan

"Is banning blacks from voting protecting white people?"

this question has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at hand, and is the usual red herring thrown out in an effort to derail the discussion and obscure the actual controversy, while lending an air of legitamacy to an illegitamate proposal.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
54 wise decisions
8 fools

Free-Agent Smith

Originally posted by Aimiel

OK, start writing: Congressman E-Mail Addresses and Senator's E-Mail Addresses.
I have sent an invite to my representative from the first link but I don't have all the information it requires to get the e-mails from each person listed in their site.
I am having problems sending e-mails to the senators but it seems a mass-mailing isn't working so I will do each on individually.

If Knight won't ban me I will even send one to HIllary Clinton since she is the senator for New York.

Free-Agent Smith

Originally posted by firechyld

I'm not disputing that.

But the fact that the majority adhere to a stance doesn't make it an objective one.

I would suggest that at least here on ToL, majority rules whether you agree or not.

Free-Agent Smith

Originally posted by Aimiel

OK, start writing: Congressman E-Mail Addresses and Senator's E-Mail Addresses.
I guess non of our elected officials really want to share their ideas about gay marriage on here. It's either that or their spokes people aren't relaying my e-mails.

Aimiel, do you realise how hard it is to get the e-mails of Congressmen on that website if you don't know everyone's ZIP codes? Did you make that intentionally difficult for me?:confused: