Shots fired near Cal Sate University Northridge; students receiving reverse 911 calls

Granite

Hall of Fame
Oh rly...

Mines probably still planning it's next move...Or maybe it's just lethargic. :think:

Jeeze....I hope it's not dead. :noid:

What the issue tends to do is provoke irrationality on the part of people you'd hope would have the clearest heads.

rexlunae

The United States of America is so much more than you give it credit for. Interesting that the USA entered into two World Wars to save freedom for countries other than their own. Part of our willingness to stand up and be counted in time of need was the belief in each man's right to defend himself and his own loved one's.
I don't approve of assault weapons and armaments meant for the military to be in individual hands. But, anything can and is used as a weapon.
Are you seriously judging a whole nation of fine human beings on the actions of criminals and lunatics?

I don't think it does us any good to avoid the guilt. This system, that we don't seem to be able to change, is something that we choose. We allow these shootings to go on because we're more committed to the principle that guns should be everywhere than that children should be able to go to school without being murdered. It's a sickness, a mass mental illness, and we would be a better country if we were cured of it, but we don't seem to have the will.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So what's the solution? Do we deprive most citizens who own guns of their weapons even though they don't commit crimes with them and no one comes to harm by them? Do we simply make the registration and selling more open to scrutiny and restriction? Do we tie possession to firearms safety certification? Do we have periodic checks on the stability and household makeup of gun owners?

What's the best approach?

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
So what's the solution? Do we deprive most citizens who own guns of their weapons even though they don't commit crimes with them and no one comes to harm by them? Do we simply make the registration and selling more open to scrutiny and restriction? Do we time possession to firearms safety certification? Do we have periodic checks on the stability and household makeup of gun owners?

What's the best approach?

We're bent to the point where if a national voluntary buyback program was proposed there'd probably be violence in the streets.

glorydaz

We're bent to the point where if a national voluntary buyback program was proposed there'd probably be violence in the streets.

Why would there be violence? There wouldn't be any criminals there selling their guns. Unless you mean the crooks would be stealing the guns before the sellers reached the buyers....robbed at gunpoint at the stop light on 5th and Main. ;)

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Why would there be violence? There wouldn't be any criminals there selling their guns. Unless you mean the crooks would be stealing the guns before the sellers reached the buyers....robbed at gunpoint at the stop light on 5th and Main. ;)

:thumb:

Granite

Hall of Fame

Because the idea of universal background checks is a non-start. Because the concept of smart guns is enough to lead to death threats and outcry against shop owners who consider carrying them. A buyback program would drive the NRA crowd utterly berserk.

glorydaz

Because the idea of universal background checks is a non-start. Because the concept of smart guns is enough to lead to death threats and outcry against shop owners who consider carrying them. A buyback program would drive the NRA crowd utterly berserk.

I'm not following....what is a smart gun? :idunno:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I'm not following....what is a smart gun? :idunno:

:plain: It's a firearm which can recognize it's owner and locks itself when not held by the owner. A good idea in theory but the devil is in the execution.

:think: What Granite is referring to specifically is that a couple of years ago a company developed a .22 pistol which locks itself except when in the immediate vicinity of an RFID chip to be worn by the owner. It created quite a ruckus...But not for the development of the weapon itself per se, but because of what it triggered.

The idiots in the New Jersey Legislature had written and passed a bill about a decade earlier mandating that if such a "smart" gun were to ever be developed then no other type of gun could be sold in Jersey...Effectively killing the entire firearm market...Well, the legal market anyway. :rolleyes:

Hilarity ensued...
The NRA got involved (That's why I pay them)...
Wako's made death threats ('Cuz, you know, In Granite drama-land only gun-wako's make death threats.)
Eventually the law was repealed. So the NRA backed off and the wako's went on to threaten others...Presumably. :noid:

bybee

In Minnesota one goes through a background check before being able to purchase a firearm. Once the paper is mailed back to you approving your petition then the Gun Shop owner fills out his paperwork and is able to sell you the firearm of your choice.
I purchased a pistol but have never even put the bullets into the chamber. I need to take a gun safety course wherein one is taught how to shoot. It depresses me to have to do this.
And, I have to do this because there are various and sundry lunatics out in society who would harm me for their own reasons.

Granite

Hall of Fame
In Minnesota one goes through a background check before being able to purchase a firearm. Once the paper is mailed back to you approving your petition then the Gun Shop owner fills out his paperwork and is able to sell you the firearm of your choice.
I purchased a pistol but have never even put the bullets into the chamber. I need to take a gun safety course wherein one is taught how to shoot. It depresses me to have to do this.
And, I have to do this because there are various and sundry lunatics out in society who would harm me for their own reasons.

In NH you pay ten bucks on the spot, wait about a week, and get your concealed carry permit in the mail.

That's...it.

bybee

In NH you pay ten bucks on the spot, wait about a week, and get your concealed carry permit in the mail.

That's...it.

I suppose this falls under State's Rights? But certainly, in view of the sheer numbers of weapons in the hands of citizens, some kind of uniform gun laws would be a good thing?
On the one hand it would protect law-abiding citizens who do carry weapons across state lines. On the other hand, law enforcement officers would be able to quickly do a background check on the weapon and the owner of the weapon.

Caledvwlch

I suppose this falls under State's Rights? But certainly, in view of the sheer numbers of weapons in the hands of citizens, some kind of uniform gun laws would be a good thing?
On the one hand it would protect law-abiding citizens who do carry weapons across state lines. On the other hand, law enforcement officers would be able to quickly do a background check on the weapon and the owner of the weapon.

Now that's what I call common sense. :up:

Granite

Hall of Fame

I agree, but this kind of thinking's anathema to the gun lobby.