Shots fired near Cal Sate University Northridge; students receiving reverse 911 calls

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
It's probably because violence tends to correlate with poverty, and New England has somewhat higher median incomes and that sort of thing.

Yeah....It's a demographics thing. These things usually are. :plain:

Granite

Hall of Fame
There are a plethora of stringent gun laws in Illinois.

But lots of guns. That's the whole point, right?:think:

More guns=less crime.

Isn't the implication that guns themselves inherently lead to a safer place? That whole "armed society is a polite society" claptrap?

Or maybe, just maybe, this oh-so-simple prebaked-for-NRA formula isn't as brilliant as people seem to think.

bybee

But lots of guns. That's the whole point, right?:think:

More guns=less crime.

Isn't the implication that guns themselves inherently lead to a safer place? That whole "armed society is a polite society" claptrap?

Or maybe, just maybe, this oh-so-simple prebaked-for-NRA formula isn't as brilliant as people seem to think.

That is not the implication. Since criminals and mad men will always have weapons I feel safer if I have a way to protect myself from them. It is just that simple.
You see conspiracies of conservative evil everywhere you turn.

Granite

Hall of Fame
That is not the implication. Since criminals and mad men will always have weapons I feel safer if I have a way to protect myself from them. It is just that simple.
You see conspiracies of conservative evil everywhere you turn.

No, what I see is bad thinking. "More guns less crime" simply makes no sense.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
No, what I see is bad thinking. "More guns less crime" simply makes no sense.

consider this scenario: a nut with a gun comes onto a gun-free zone and starts shooting people

who stops him?

a. a guy with a knife
b. a guy who knows kung fu
c. a guy who tells him "Hey! You can't do that here! This is a gun-free zone!"
d. a guy with a gun

rexlunae

consider this scenario: a nut with a gun comes onto a gun-free zone and starts shooting people

who stops him?

a. a guy with a knife
b. a guy who knows kung fu
c. a guy who tells him "Hey! You can't do that here! This is a gun-free zone!"
d. a guy with a gun

The problem is, that's the rare case. That's the outlier. If you own a gun, you are more likely to hurt yourself or someone you didn't intend to than you are to stop a crime.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
The problem is, that's the rare case. That's the outlier. If you own a gun, you are more likely to hurt yourself or someone you didn't intend to than you are to stop a crime.

it's always a guy with a gun

unfortunately, it's usually a cop with a gun, who takes precious minutes to get there