Tattoos

Tattoos

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Buzzword

Sub-question:

Is it sexist, unfair, inconsistent or just plain wrong to find tats on women...how to put this delicately...more unseemly than similar or identical tats on men?

Yes, for many reasons.

Mostly due to the outdated societal concept that women must always project incorruptible pure pureness (which tats are supposedly the opposite of), and men must always project masculine manliness (which tats can represent because pain).

Of course, you could avoid inconsistency by simply saying you don't find a particular tattoo appealing on a particular woman.
Or, in the common vernacular, she either pulls it off or doesn't.

"Unseemly" implies moral high ground, the assumption of which is pretty much the source of the inconsistency.

shagster01

Sub-question:

Is it sexist, unfair, inconsistent or just plain wrong to find tats on women...how to put this delicately...more unseemly than similar or identical tats on men?

Asking because I've seen this question argued elsewhere to the point of threats of physical violence (which I know we'll avoid here at TOL).

It's personal taste. I'd ask those people if they find identical eye shadow as attractive on men as they do on women.

musterion

Yes, for many reasons.

Mostly due to the outdated societal concept that women must always project incorruptible pure pureness (which tats are supposedly the opposite of), and men must always project masculine manliness.

Hence Batman in drag for your avatar?

Of course, you could avoid inconsistency by simply saying you don't find a particular tattoo appealing on a particular woman. Or, in the common vernacular, she either pulls it off or doesn't.
My opinion: I don't think ANY woman can pull off ANY tattoo ANYWHERE it is able to be seen by others. I find the modern fad of tat abundance distasteful...on women, more so. To me, it doesn't shout, "I'm an individual at peace with my expensive, self-inflicted ink scars." First and foremost, visible placement shouts, "LOOK AT ME! YOU WILL LOOK AT ME NOW!!!" So if I can't not see it, and if I happen to find them tasteless, I don't think I should be blamed for that. I didn't make her (or him) get it in a place that shows on normally exposed skin, and my reaction to it is my own. Is my reaction her fault? Good question. I know it ain't my fault -- she clearly wants the world to see it, else it wouldn't be see-able.

You'll disagree with all that, of course, which is fine because it's just my opinion.

"Unseemly" implies moral high ground, the assumption of which is pretty much the source of the inconsistency.
Too bad. The word works for me.

musterion

Does anyone have an opinion of that?

Since you asked, yes. It makes you look like a heathen and strikes me as more cry for help than fashion statement, unless the statement is "I'm a heathen in need of help."

Just my opinion because you asked.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
You'll disagree with all that, of course, which is fine because it's just my opinion.
:cheers: A very valid opinion, at that! I 100% back your right to it!

Too bad. The word works for me.
Using the bible to back that opinion is a WEAK argument. I highly doubt you remain consistent with OT laws, which you should, if you're using Leviticus as your ammo...

A personal distaste, hatred, disgust are all valid, IMHO, because they're your personal opinions! :)

musterion

Using the bible to back that opinion is a WEAK argument.

Use your atheism to come up with a moral argument to back an opinion, then. On anything. I'll wait.

I highly doubt you remain consistent with OT laws, which you should, if you're using Leviticus as your ammo...
That was someone else, not me. Though in principle, I think he has a point.

musterion

Sub-sub-question.

If I walk into a job interview with crappie jigs and a bass plug hanging from my face, am I entitled to feel judged unfairly if the potential employer flat out tells me, "Sorry, can't use you because of all the fishing lures you've hooked through your face"?

(unless you're applying at Bass Pro Shops)

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If I walk into a job interview with crappie jigs and bass plugs hanging from my face, am I entitled to feel myself judged unfairly if the potential employer flat out tells me, "Sorry, can't use you because of all the fishing lures you've hooked through your face"?

Actually piercings and tattoos DO make a difference when it comes to employment. I had an ex who worked at Safeways as a checker. To keep his job, he had to make sure he could cover his tattoos.

Also, IF someone wishes to go into the military, it can make a difference to whether or not the person is accepted or declined.

Buzzword

And just what is wrong with that?

It's an outdated, barbaric concept that women must always remain pure (or at least appear so), but men may be as lusty, dirty, or violent as they wish ("Boys will be boys," and such).

Especially since the definition of "purity" varies too greatly to pin down as a societal norm anymore.

Attractiveness varies from one person to another, and trying to enforce your grandmother's idea of beauty and purity just leads to puritanical oppression, leading people who probably wouldn't be as "extreme" to push whatever envelope they feel is in play, just to prove they can.

Also, IF someone wishes to go into the military, it can make a difference to whether or not the person is accepted or declined.
Which is stupid, in my not really humble opinion.

Let all who wish to defend their country stand on the wall.

shagster01

Since you asked, yes. It makes you look like a heathen and strikes me as more cry for help than fashion statement, unless the statement is "I'm a heathen in need of help."

Just my opinion because you asked.

I stretched my ears back in my church days. . .

zoo22

I enjoy seeing people's tattoos.

Even though they've become much more acceptable, tattoos just wouldn't be the same without the holier-than-thou crotchety old judgmental busybodies going on about them.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I do also have big 3/4" wood plugs in my earlobes. Does anyone have an opinion of that?

Ouch.

Having said that, they are your ears ... do you like them? Outside of telling you it might be an issue at a job interview, your own comfort level is what's important.

shagster01

Sub-sub-question.

If I walk into a job interview with crappie jigs and a bass plug hanging from my face, am I entitled to feel judged unfairly if the potential employer flat out tells me, "Sorry, can't use you because of all the fishing lures you've hooked through your face"?

(unless you're applying at Bass Pro Shops)

Employers should be free to make their own rules.

I asked my boss before piercing my ears and my tattoos are covered by my work shirt. I would respected them if they'd have said no.

shagster01

Ouch.

Having said that, they are your ears ... do you like them? Outside of telling you it might be an issue at a job interview, your own comfort level is what's important.

It didn't hurt. I stretched them slowly just like all of our skin stretched as we grew up.

It hurts no worse than stretching skin by putting on weight.

I like them and I'm prepared to live with the holes should I ever decide to take them out. The holes won't close, but they would shrink a lot.

musterion

Actually piercings and tattoos DO make a difference when it comes to employment. I had an ex who worked at Safeways as a checker. To keep his job, he had to make sure he could cover his tattoos.

Right...and are those cases justified or unjustified? Is the tatty or piercie's individuality being wrongly stifled by The Man?

musterion

I enjoy seeing people's tattoos.

Even though they've become much more acceptable, tattoos just wouldn't be the same without the holier-than-thou crotchety old judgmental busybodies going on about them.

Or the idiotic, self-righteous atheists they love and are endlessly amused by.