Tattoos

Tattoos

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Also, IF someone wishes to go into the military, it can make a difference to whether or not the person is accepted or declined.

Which is stupid, in my not really humble opinion.

Let all who wish to defend their country stand on the wall.

Perhaps, perhaps not. However, this is something people should consider before going out and making permanent, in your face changes on their body.

I told my children the same thing ... they were irritated.

musterion

It's an outdated, barbaric concept that women must always remain pure (or at least appear so),

Young women tend to naturally gravitate toward an innate sense of propriety that young men tend to lack, so you're wrong. It's not barbaric at all. It's a blessing to men and to our race as a whole.

but men may be as lusty, dirty, or violent as they wish ("Boys will be boys," and such).
THAT is barbaric and wrong. Always has been.

Especially since the definition of "purity" varies too greatly to pin down as a societal norm anymore.
And people like you couldn't he happier about it; you finally got your wish.

Attractiveness varies from one person to another, and trying to enforce your grandmother's idea of beauty and purity just leads to puritanical oppression, leading people who probably wouldn't be as "extreme" to push whatever envelope they feel is in play, just to prove they can.
And if it blows up in their face, as it often does in many areas, who is to be at fault? If they knew the envelope was there and pushed anyway, who's fault is what happens next? (you'll say "It's the envelope's fault for existing.")

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Right...and are those cases justified or unjustified? Is the tatty or piercie's individuality being wrongly stifled by The Man?

I can't really state it's not justified. Most issues when declining recruits has to do with safety, stability and reliability.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It didn't hurt. I stretched them slowly just like all of our skin stretched as we grew up.

It hurts no worse than stretching skin by putting on weight.

I like them and I'm prepared to live with the holes should I ever decide to take them out. The holes won't close, but they would shrink a lot.

Well, that is what matters. I can't tell you the number of times my daughter has come to me with some funky hair color and asked me to color her hair.

About two months ago, my hands were stained navy blue and it took a week to get it all out. I told her NEVER AGAIN unless she buys a supply of gloves.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
Use your atheism to come up with a moral argument to back an opinion, then. On anything. I'll wait.
Nice duck and roll. Rather than answer the question, you want to start into another debate entirely. Pathetic. :loser:

That was someone else, not me. Though in principle, I think he has a point.
My apologies. Why do you feel that is a valid point?

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
Restate your question, please.

Accepted.

Note that I said it was a valid point in principle, not that I agreed verbatim.

I said basically that using the OT as a reason for one's dislike of tattoos was weak. You asked me to use my atheism to argue for morality, which may be related, but you didn't respond to my assertion that using the bible to dislike tattoos was weak.

musterion

I said basically that using the OT as a reason for one's dislike of tattoos was weak. You asked me to use my atheism to argue for morality, which may be related, but you didn't respond to my assertion that using the bible to dislike tattoos was weak.

Again, I don't see this in the form of a question; it's more of a statement. That was your assertion and I didn't see the point in replying to it. If you don't believe the Bible, likely as not there's nothing I could cite from it that would do anything for you.

Are you wondering which part of the OT citation, or why, I find a good point in principle? Because, again, what difference would it make to tell you? I'd be citing the Bible, which you disbelieve.

But if you want me to explain it, I will. I just don't see the point.

shagster01

Well, that is what matters. I can't tell you the number of times my daughter has come to me with some funky hair color and asked me to color her hair.

About two months ago, my hands were stained navy blue and it took a week to get it all out. I told her NEVER AGAIN unless she buys a supply of gloves.

Oddly enough I don't think dyed hair is attractive. Piercings and tats don't bother me, but dyed hair does. My wife is 33 and has quite a bit of gray hair. She quit dying it a few years back and I love it. She is beautiful with those silver streaks.

Brings up another question, what do y'all think of dyed hair?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Oddly enough I don't think dyed hair is attractive. Piercings and tats don't bother me, but dyed hair does. My wife is 33 and has quite a bit of gray hair. She quit dying it a few years back and I love it. She is beautiful with those silver streaks.

Brings up another question, what do y'all think of dyed hair?

It depends on the color and person. On occasion, I DO lose my resolve to be natural and end up coloring my hair. Though in my case, it's not the color. Like my mother, I am completely white. Not gray. However, the color, for some reason, makes my hair more manageable.

Naturally, the white hair makes me look a few years older, however, I am comfortable with it, and that's all that matters.

musterion

It depends on the color and person. On occasion, I DO lose my resolve to be natural and end up coloring my hair. Though in my case, it's not the color. Like my mother, I am completely white. Not gray. However, the color, for some reason, makes my hair more manageable.

Naturally, the white hair makes me look a few years older, however, I am comfortable with it, and that's all that matters.

I wish I could have all white hair. instead I've got gray starting at the temples and am losing the "roof."

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's an outdated, barbaric concept that women must always remain pure (or at least appear so), but men may be as lusty, dirty, or violent as they wish ("Boys will be boys," and such).

Especially since the definition of "purity" varies too greatly to pin down as a societal norm anymore.

Attractiveness varies from one person to another, and trying to enforce your grandmother's idea of beauty and purity just leads to puritanical oppression, leading people who probably wouldn't be as "extreme" to push whatever envelope they feel is in play, just to prove they can.
Well, aren't you just a little weak whoremonger.

I NEVER felt outdated or oppressed for giving my heart and body to my husband only.

And my grandmother was spot-on with the difference between treating one as a tender gift from God, rather than like a degraded piece of used meat.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
She has requested that I don't tattoo my face until she's dead. :D I told her I'd never tattoo my face so she can rest easy... :chuckle:
NO, not the face!
Don't go messing around with that handsome face!

I think you'd get along wonderfully with my mother! She's a pretty awesome lady. As are you!
I bet we would too!
:cheers:
Can she shoot?

Buzzword

Well, aren't you just a little weak whoremonger.

I NEVER felt outdated or oppressed for giving my heart and body to my husband only.

And my grandmother was spot-on with the difference between treating one as a tender gift from God, rather than like a degraded piece of used meat.

:yawn: You spew vitriol needlessly.
I love how you fail to actually address any of my points.

I said treating the male violent whoremongers as heroic role models is barbaric.
Just as treating the female doormats and dutiful property of father then husband is also barbaric.

You never felt oppressed because you knew no other way, just like billions of women who preceded you in male-dominated society.

Assuming that a woman must remain what men have defined as "pure" (an illiterate virgin house-slave) is now outdated.
Times and society have changed, for the better, so that women may live their own lives as they choose.

If they now choose to be illiterate virgin house-slaves until a man comes along to dominate them, they can still do that, but it is no longer forced upon them.

To return to the actual topic of the thread, the above attitudes have led to women with tattoos being treated like prostitutes by the resident senile moral guardians, while men with tattoos are treated as paragons of masculinity.
As long as it's not on the face, because then these dithering, nearsighted buffoons suddenly start treating their former paragons of manliness as devil-worshiping criminals.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
Again, I don't see this in the form of a question; it's more of a statement. That was your assertion and I didn't see the point in replying to it. If you don't believe the Bible, likely as not there's nothing I could cite from it that would do anything for you.

Are you wondering which part of the OT citation, or why, I find a good point in principle? Because, again, what difference would it make to tell you? I'd be citing the Bible, which you disbelieve.

But if you want me to explain it, I will. I just don't see the point.
I'd like to hear how you use the OT to justify your disdain for tattoos, yes. It makes a difference to me for many reasons. Even as a theist(many folks here knew me and met me as such) I disagreed vehemently that you could use the OT to knock tattoos...

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
To return to the actual topic of the thread, the above attitudes have led to women with tattoos being treated like prostitutes by the resident senile moral guardians, while men with tattoos are treated as paragons of masculinity.
As long as it's not on the face, because then these dithering, nearsighted buffoons suddenly start treating their former paragons of manliness as devil-worshiping criminals.

:think: I don't think that being covered with tattoos makes men paragons of manliness. In most cases, it's art. Unique. And like all art, it can be taken to the point of being tacky.

Acting like a man is what makes a man *manly*. Then again, I have no doubt we all have a different view of what makes one a real man or real woman. That's a different topic.