MrDeets,

re: ..."my assertion that using the bible to dislike tattoos was weak."

Who on here has said that?

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
MrDeets,

re: ..."my assertion that using the bible to dislike tattoos was weak."

Who on here has said that?

I said that. I think it is... Rather, using the bible to say that tattoos are wrong is weak. I don't care if someone likes them.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I will just add to this OP, my exposure to tattoos was limited until after I got married. To a man COVERED with tattoos.

My father never had a tattoo and frankly would have flipped his lid had I ever come home with one. I had to hide my pierced ears until AFTER I turned 18 in order to not incur his wrath.

To his dismay, ALL of the grandkids have tattoos.

musterion

I'd like to hear how you use the OT to justify your disdain for tattoos, yes. It makes a difference to me for many reasons. Even as a theist(many folks here knew me and met me as such) I disagreed vehemently that you could use the OT to knock tattoos...

It's clear from this you didn't read or didn't understand what I already posted to you. So, a gift for you.

musterion

Acting like a man is what makes a man *manly*. Then again, I have no doubt we all have a different view of what makes one a real man or real woman.

I get the feeling Buzz doesn't think of men and women in terms of either/or, but both/and.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
It's clear from this you didn't read or didn't understand what I already posted to you. So, a gift for you.

:rotfl: I laughed. Thanks.

Do I need to show you the post in which you offered to actually explain your stance? If you'd like to have a discussion, I'm looking forward to it. If you want to keep dodging questions and behave like a jackass, I'll quit responding.

musterion

:rotfl: I laughed. Thanks.

Do I need to show you the post in which you offered to actually explain your stance? If you'd like to have a discussion, I'm looking forward to it. If you want to keep dodging questions and behave like a jackass, I'll quit responding.

I already told you I did not quote the OT but only agree in principle with the one who did, but you just went off on me as if I did quote the OT. That indicates you either don't read what I post or something is affecting your comprehension. Either way, it makes you the jackass here and shows I have no reason to post anything else to you until you acknowledge your error.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
Are you wondering which part of the OT citation, or why, I find a good point in principle? Because, again, what difference would it make to tell you? I'd be citing the Bible, which you disbelieve.

But if you want me to explain it, I will. I just don't see the point.

I'll just leave this here...

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Uh oh, Meshak's lurking about.

Tattoos are worldly, friend.

There. Took the wind outta her sails.
ROFL!
Meshak lurking on her worldly computer to find things to call "worldly" about others.
Par for the course.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
My apologies. Why do you feel that is a valid point?

Do you want me to show where you accepted my apology, as well? The fact is you're trying to avoid the conversation I may have accidentally pushed towards you. The same conversation you said you'd have, however pointless. I've addressed every single thing you've asked me to, and you have yet to address mine.

Now, will you please explain to me why you see any validity in using Leviticus to condemn tattoos?

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
I meant who has said that they dislike tattoos because of the bible?
Sorry! I didn't mean to duck your question... apparently you did. :D

For me, tattoos are disgusting. And for those who call themselves "Christian" there is Leviticus 19:28 - "You shall not...tattoo any marks on you: I am the Lord."

rstrats- What else can I do for you?

My opinion: I don't think ANY woman can pull off ANY tattoo ANYWHERE it is able to be seen by others. I find the modern fad of tat abundance distasteful...on women, more so. To me, it doesn't shout, "I'm an individual at peace with my expensive, self-inflicted ink scars." First and foremost, visible placement shouts, "LOOK AT ME! YOU WILL LOOK AT ME NOW!!!" So if I can't not see it, and if I happen to find them tasteless, I don't think I should be blamed for that. I didn't make her (or him) get it in a place that shows on normally exposed skin, and my reaction to it is my own. Is my reaction her fault? Good question. I know it ain't my fault -- she clearly wants the world to see it, else it wouldn't be see-able.

You'll disagree with all that, of course, which is fine because it's just my opinion.

Too bad. The word works for me.

This was Musty's quote that I may have misunderstood. When Musty said "the word works for me" I initially thought he/she was speaking about the bible. If he/she wasn't, I apologize, AGAIN. I can see how he.she may have been saying "the word" in reference to tasteless or some other word implying dislike/disdane/etc...

rstrats

MrDeets,
re: "Sorry! I didn't mean to duck your question... apparently you did."

Apparently I did "what"?

musterion

Now, will you please explain to me why you see any validity in using Leviticus to condemn tattoos?

Well spoken query, sir.

God prohibited such practices to Israel because they were what pagan societies around them were doing, usually in honor of their various idols (demons). Some say that's reason enough to avoid tattoos.

But...is the Church, the Body of Christ, Israel? No. Does the Law of Moses apply to the Body of Christ? No. Were Gentiles ever in Moses' mind when he was giving forth God's commandments? No, only his own people. That is why I said I do not agree verbatim with the person citing the O.T., only in principle...and that principle is not the Law's prohibition itself but God's reason behind it: that tattoos were (and I believe still are) a pagan practice.

Still...would I be free in Christ do so if I wanted? Would it be a matter of conscience? I suppose I would, since I see nothing mentioned about such self-markings in the N.T. But I would not do so (even if part of me wanted to) because, as I said, I consider it a heathenish thing to do that would not honor the temple of the Holy Spirit, which I am.

I don't know if that answers your question but it's the only answer I have.

Btw, I'm really curious how you arrived at atheism. Have you posted about it somewhere I can read it?

musterion

This was Musty's quote that I may have misunderstood. When Musty said "the word works for me" I initially thought he/she was speaking about the bible. If he/she wasn't, I apologize, AGAIN. I can see how he.she may have been saying "the word" in reference to tasteless or some other word implying dislike/disdane/etc...

You did misread it. The word that I said worked for me was 'unseemly,' and I accept this apology as well.

But the Word still works even better.