The earth is flat and we never went to the moon--Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
No Dave, horizon is not the "biggest nail". It's just one of your favorites because you think that you have proof, though you hardly even understand it.

It's not my favorite arguments it's the main flat earth argument. Remember I'm not FE, I'm making their case.

The idea here is to get it understood.

--Dave

Right Divider

Body part
It's not my favorite arguments it's the main flat earth argument. Remember I'm not FE, I'm making their case.

The idea here is to get it understood.

--Dave
It's NOT the main argument. You just think that it is. There are MANY EQUALLY important issues that must ALL be addressed. It's much easier to start with the most obvious and least difficult to understand... like the fact that the "flat earth map" does NOT properly represent the SIZE of the continent of Australia.

The "flat earth map" shows the continent of Australia as being TWICE as large as we KNOW that it is.

Don't dodge Dave... address that!

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Make your own point, I've made mine.

--Dave

I'm having trouble being blocked with some of my replies.

I think one would notice a horizon drop of 13.2 miles from a commercial flight at 35000 feet

--Dave

Hey Dave, on your graph, pick a random spot on it and calculate the length of a segment on that curve that, at scale, would be about 6 miles in length. Then tell me how curved that segment looks, or if it's relatively flat.

We can't see 6 miles from 6 ft height, we can see 3 miles. The earth drops 6 feet in three miles, add 6 feet to height of viewer and we have 12 feet. So at six feet eye level we are looking down 12 feet to the horizon 3 miles away. That's not much of a curvature and it would be relatively flat. But knowing how far away a ship is from viewer is important to know.

--Dave

Are you dumb, Dave?

6 miles is the diameter of the circle on the sphere of the Earth that is visible from a human being on its surface.

So, again I ask, how curved would a scaled down 6 mile segment be on your graph paper? Would the curve be noticeable?

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Are you dumb, Dave?

6 miles is the diameter of the circle on the sphere of the Earth that is visible from a human being on its surface.

So, again I ask, how curved would a scaled down 6 mile segment be on your graph paper? Would the curve be noticeable?

Not responding to people who call me dumb, or insinuate it.

--Dave

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
When will Dave address the "flat earth map" making Australia TWICE as big as it actually is?
Yeah.... when??

After all....

If the earth is a globe and looks like this...

View attachment 26526

You can drive from Brisbane Australia to Perth Australia in about 46 hours or fly on a commercial jetliner in about five and half hours. This can be verified by the literally millions of people whom have made this trip.

View attachment 26527

But if the earth looks like this....

View attachment 26528

Australia would then be about 2 times the width of the United States as we can see here...

View attachment 26529

And therefore it would take you 92 hours to drive from Brisbane Australia to Perth Australia and over 11 hours to fly from city to city.

On a flat earth here is the trip from Brisbane to Perth Australia...

View attachment 26530

Dave can you admit the the flat earth map that is used on a consistent basis by flat earth proponents cannot possibly accurate based on these facts?

Thanks in advance for your time.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's NOT the main argument. You just think that it is. There are MANY EQUALLY important issues that must ALL be addressed. It's much easier to start with the most obvious and least difficult to understand... like the fact that the "flat earth map" does NOT properly represent the SIZE of the continent of Australia.

The "flat earth map" shows the continent of Australia as being TWICE as large as we KNOW that it is.

Don't dodge Dave... address that!

I'm following this video because I think it's a very good rebuttal to FE claims that must be addressed. So, I'm addressing them and the size of continents is not mentioned, but I agree with you it must be addressed and has been.

--Dave

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I didn't call you dumb, Dave. I asked if you were, because I can't believe you can't understand what I'm asking.

How many times do I have to tell you that I don't respond to leading questions either. Make your point and don't have me do it for you.

--Dave

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hopefully, YouTube initiatives will reduce the conspiracy theory nonsense abounding therein:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/9/1...e-fake-news-conspiracy-theory-context-updates

AMR
I have mixed feeling about this. It's kinda scary that YouTube could determine what is and isn't a conspiracy video. I could see videos regarding creation or young earth theory being lumped in based on Google/YouTube's views.

And furthermore... as much as I distain some of these conspiracy theories why shouldn't they have the right to display them? Don't we have the right to be stupid if we want to be?

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Where? If it were, we would not be asking you to address it.

We can do it again. I watch flat earth videos that are now addressing the globe response to their original arguments to see if they have answered them. But I want to finish this video I'm addressing first.

--Dave

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I'm having trouble being blocked with some of my replies.

I think one would notice a horizon drop of 13.2 miles from a commercial flight at 35000 feet

--Dave

The number of miles is not the relevant number. It's the angle that matters. The angle is determine by the relative lengths of two sides of the right triangle. Get a protractor or download an app of some sort and measure 8° above the horizon and see for yourself how far it is.

It's isn't minuscule but it still rather small. It's not quite 1/11th of the way to the highest point in the sky. Certainly noticeable if you're looking for it and easily missed if you're not.

Incidentally, there would be no drop in the horizon at all if the Earth were flat. In fact, on a flat Earth there would not be any hard horizon line. Presuming there was nothing in the way, you should be able to see all the way to the "Ice Wall" with just a little help from even a modest telescope. Of course there are variables like Rayleigh scattering and other atmospheric effects that would obscure the view of distance objects but the point is that there wouldn't really be a horizon in the sense we are used to thinking of it. Things would just sort of fade into a haze in the distance rather than there ever being a hard horizon line like there is here in the real world.

In essence, every time you acknowledge that there is a horizon, you tacitly accept that the Earth is not flat.

Clete

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I have mixed feeling about this. It's kinda scary that YouTube could determine what is and isn't a conspiracy video. I could see videos regarding creation or young earth theory being lumped in based on Google/YouTube's views.

And furthermore... as much as I distain some of these conspiracy theories why shouldn't they have the right to display them? Don't we have the right to be stupid if we want to be?

I agree with you that there is a danger of some videos getting dumped in with the bad. This is why it is, in my opinion, wiser for them to not make any such attempts to filter out conspiracies.

YouTube is, however, as you are already aware, a privately owned website and no one has "the right" to post anything on their website. They, on the other hand, have the absolute right to put whatever limits and restriction they want on the content that they provide a platform for. The thing that'll keep it just about right, over the long term, is the fact that no one is required to visit their site or to use their platform. If they go to far, which is likely, it'll spawn more viable competition than what currently exists and, in the end, the internet will be better. I trust the free market to produce the best product at the best price.

Clete

Status
Not open for further replies.