toldailytopic: Are there many paths to God?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Depends on the premise from where you begin the inquiry......

Depends on the premise from where you begin the inquiry......

Are there many paths to God?

Depends if you begin with an assumption of being seperate from 'God', or from a place of already being 'one with God'. If one assumes the former,...there may be various 'ways', 'paths', 'methodologies', 'mediums', or 'bridges' to 'God'....or so its 'assumed' from the 'perception' of 'seperation'.

In the later point of view....there is only 'God' being the source of all that is (The One; The All ), that universal Mind or Spirit that is omnipresent, all-pervading, all-encompassing. In the omnipresence of 'God'....there is only 'God',...nothing else (except what arises as 'appearances' or 'forms')....since there is nowhere where 'God' is not. The energy and consciousness of God permeates the entire cosmos...to infinity. 'God' is the one and only absolute reality. - all else is 'relative'. The absolute alone is infinitely real, while all else has relative reality and conditional existence. Every-thing comes and goes, 'God' eternally remains.....as all there is....of all there is.

Certain schools, methods, spiritual practices, meditation, philosophical inquiries, prayer-techniques, may assist a seeker in turning his attention to the source of being, that inner light and divine nature, or Higher Self, which is the indwelling spirit. Teachers can point the soul to that essential reality, which one must dis-cover for himself, because the source and the substance are one.

Again, if 'God' is the only absolute, universal and omnipresent reality,....and 'God' is 'One'....how is anything seperate from that which is 'One' and 'all'? (besides your assumption of 'seperation'? )

So I would challenge the question on its assumption, because 'God' is that ever-present reality that requires no "path" because there is no getting to what is already being. Understanding this, one accepts the reality that is....accepting the very essence of 'being' and 'consciousness' as that heart-reality we refer to as 'God'. That 'heart' (Brahman) is the very source, center and substance of LIFE itself. All there is....is that! One indivisible Light reflected as the many in the continuum of creation.

An excellent teacher in the free-inquiry of truth was J. Krishnamurti. The Order of the Star in the east was formed to announce him as the World-Teacher, yet he soon dissolved the organization realizing that 'organizations' were unnecessary, if not detrimental to the spiritual freedom of man. Below are a few excerpts from his speech made on August 3, 1929 :

" I maintain that Truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect. That is my point of view, and I adhere to that absolutely and unconditionally. Truth, being limitless, unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized; nor should any organization be formed to lead or to coerce people along any particular path. If you first understand that, then you will see how impossible it is to organize a belief. A belief is purely an individual matter, and you cannot and must not organize it. If you do, it becomes dead, crystallized; it becomes a creed, a sect, a religion, to be imposed on others. This is what everyone throughout the world is attempting to do. Truth is narrowed down and made a plaything for those who are weak, for those who are only momentarily discontented. Truth cannot be brought down, rather the individual must make the effort to ascend to it. You cannot bring the mountain-top to the valley. If you would attain to the mountain-top you must pass through the valley, climb the steeps, unafraid of the dangerous precipices."

" As I said before, my purpose is to make men unconditionally free, for I maintain that the only spirituality is the incorruptibility of the self which is eternal, is the harmony between reason and love. This is the absolute, unconditioned Truth which is Life itself. I want therefore to set man free, rejoicing as the bird in the clear sky, unburdened, independent, ecstatic in that freedom."

"Again, you have the idea that only certain people hold the key to the Kingdom of Happiness. No one holds it. No one has the authority to hold that key. That key is your own self, and in the development and the purification and in the incorruptibility of that self alone is the Kingdom of Eternity. "

- Full transcript of speech here

The phrase "Truth is a pathless land" is one I've always remembered, as J. Krishnamurti was influential to me as a teacher. One must understand what this means....before assuming anything. When reality itself, as that living breathing spontaneous aliveness....is the ever-new-nowness of life....then in that 'free' space....there is always 'truth', in its purity, originality and power. It is the very essence of the 'Self', the eternal....present in every moment. There is no path to what is ever new, fresh, alive!....as this living awareness that I AM. What is ever-being, has no path.

pj

bybee

Depends if you begin with an assumption of being seperate from 'God', or from a place of already being 'one with God'. If one assumes the former,...there may be various 'ways', 'paths', 'methodologies', 'mediums', or 'bridges' to 'God'....or so its 'assumed' from the 'perception' of 'seperation'.

In the later point of view....there is only 'God' being the source of all that is (The One; The All ), that universal Mind or Spirit that is omnipresent, all-pervading, all-encompassing. In the omnipresence of 'God'....there is only 'God',...nothing else (except what arises as 'appearances' or 'forms')....since there is nowhere where 'God' is not. The energy and consciousness of God permeates the entire cosmos...to infinity. 'God' is the one and only absolute reality. - all else is 'relative'. The absolute alone is infinitely real, while all else has relative reality and conditional existence. Every-thing comes and goes, 'God' eternally remains.....as all there is....of all there is.

Certain schools, methods, spiritual practices, meditation, philosophical inquiries, prayer-techniques, may assist a seeker in turning his attention to the source of being, that inner light and divine nature, or Higher Self, which is the indwelling spirit. Teachers can point the soul to that essential reality, which one must dis-cover for himself, because the source and the substance are one.

Again, if 'God' is the only absolute, universal and omnipresent reality,....and 'God' is 'One'....how is anything seperate from that which is 'One' and 'all'? (besides your assumption of 'seperation'? )

So I would challenge the question on its assumption, because 'God' is that ever-present reality that requires no "path" because there is no getting to what is already being. Understanding this, one accepts the reality that is....accepting the very essence of 'being' and 'consciousness' as that heart-reality we refer to as 'God'. That 'heart' (Brahman) is the very source, center and substance of LIFE itself. All there is....is that! One indivisible Light reflected as the many in the continuum of creation.

An excellent teacher in the free-inquiry of truth was J. Krishnamurti. The Order of the Star in the east was formed to announce him as the World-Teacher, yet he soon dissolved the organization realizing that 'organizations' were unnecessary, if not detrimental to the spiritual freedom of man. Below are a few excerpts from his speech made on August 3, 1929 :

- Full transcript of speech here

The phrase "Truth is a pathless land" is one I've always remembered, as J. Krishnamurti was influential to me as a teacher. One must understand what this means....before assuming anything. When reality itself, as that living breathing spontaneous aliveness....is the ever-new-nowness of life....then in that 'free' space....there is always 'truth', in its purity, originality and power. It is the very essence of the 'Self', the eternal....present in every moment. There is no path to what is ever new, fresh, alive!....as this living awareness that I AM. What is ever-being, has no path.

pj

I have experienced that "transcendance" which happens sometimes in this life. There are no words to describe the feeling of at-one-ness when it occurs. One learns not to grasp at it but be in it while it lasts. It passes understanding. This is truth I believe.
Peace.

not4sure

The phrase "Truth is a pathless land" is one I've always remembered, as J. Krishnamurti was influential to me as a teacher.

Yeah, it's kinda bad when you revere a New Age Messiah and then he resigns as Messiah.

Jiddu Krishnamurti [the messiah who defected] - was discipled by Annie Besant and then proclaimed to be the Messiah. However, in 1929 he had doubts and rejected the role.

Here is a powerful truth for you to meditate upon to understand Krishnamurti: A man without a horse is like a foot.

noguru

Well that report precipitated the latest one.

February 4, 2013 has become a monumental turning point in the history of the Vatican it seems. Initially it marks the day that the a pope (after a 600 year gap) has resigned from his top post. Usually they all pass away with the job they are elected to.

Now it seems, that same date might be remembered as a date in history when an elected official of an organisation stands down also to allow the said organisation to distance itself legally from financial repercussions of an upcoming possible legal case should an ex-pope be arrestable and found eventually guilty.

A week before Pope Benedict XVI’s resignation, it appears the Vatican quietly was tipped off and received a note from an undisclosed European government that stated that there are plans to issue a warrant for the Pope’s arrest. Addicting Info reports.

With his resignation now announced, the soon former pope is to have a meeting with the Italian President, Giorgio Napolitano on February 23 to try begging for immunity against prosecution for allegations related to the nature of child rape. Benedict XVI shocked the world with his sudden quiet resignation – reasons quietly fermented it appears, for health reasons. This however did not stop other previous many popes who also were of the same or worse condition but still managed to carry on their elected role – even with help 24 hours a day.

False Prophet

People through their ignorance could seek God through prayer, meditation, and religious excercises. But when Paul made his proclamation at the Aeropagus, then men became required to repent and accept Christ as their savior.
Acts 17[23]22 So Paul stood in the midst of the Areopagus and said, "Men of Athens, I observe that you are very religious in all respects. 23 "For while I was passing through and examining the objects of your worship, I also found an altar with this inscription, 'TO AN UNKNOWN GOD.' Therefore what you worship in ignorance, this I proclaim to you. 24 "The God who made the world and all things in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands ; 25 nor is He served by human hands, as though He needed anything, since He Himself gives to all people life and breath and all things ; 26 and He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation, 27 that they would seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; 28 for in Him we live and move and exist, as even some of your own poets have said, 'For we also are His children.' 29 "Being then the children of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and thought of man. 30 "Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent, 31 because He has fixed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men by raising Him from the dead." 32 Now when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some began to sneer, but others said, "We shall hear you again concerning this." 33 So Paul went out of their midst. 34 But some men joined him and believed, among whom also were Dionysius the Areopagite and a woman named Damaris and others with them.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
what one sees, depends on where he stands......

what one sees, depends on where he stands......

Yeah, it's kinda bad when you revere a New Age Messiah and then he resigns as Messiah.

Not bad at all, - you might do well to consider the intent and purpose of my sharing of J. Krishnamurti's speech, its content and message.....and my former commentary.

"Truth is a pathless land", thats relative to the subject here (whether there are many 'paths' or not to 'God'). Because 'God' or 'truth/reality' is omnipresent and its essence is within the very heart of every living soul, there is no 'path' to it. What 'is'....is always present. The mind may approach, treat or use a particular path, method or system to 'comprehend' or 'realize' truth.....but a 'path' or 'organization' is not necessary, as far as human inventions and institutions are concerned. Some approaches, applications or methods are helpful of course.

Here is a powerful truth for you to meditate upon to understand Krishnamurti: A man without a horse is like a foot.

You might be better educated to first familiarize and understand the clear teachings of J. Krishnamurti first and let them speak for themself.

J.Krishnamurti online

Krishnamurti Foundation of America (KFA)

We can look at 'God' as being the source, substance and summit of existence....the pure energy, light, life and consciousness originating and permeating all. If we saw it as a mountain.....there may be many trails and paths alongside the mountain...spiraling upwards towards the summit. All the trails are on the mountain itself, although some might be a better path directly up towards the summit. Of course this is all 'relatively' considered,....while the absolute reality of 'God' remains as pervading the entire topography of life. Whether one is at the base, half-way, or on the summit, 'God' is no less present at any one point, although it may seem so from a limited point of view.

pj

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Blavatsky--Bessant--Kristnamurti

The trinity of Theo-Mumbo-Jumbo.

Cant deal with the subject matter or maintain a dialogue, so demean or belittle others, or subjects that you have 'assumptions' about. Thats just ignorant.

pj

john w

Hall of Fame
What would the Pope say?

VATICAN CITY, NOV. 30, 2005 (Zenit.org). — Whoever seeks peace and the good of the community with a pure conscience, and keeps alive the desire for the transcendent, will be saved even if he lacks biblical faith, says Benedict XVI.

The Pope made this affirmation at the general audience, commenting on a meditation written by St. Augustine (354-430).

See: Pope Benedict XVI's general audience, Nov. 30 2005.
___

The Roman Catholic "Church" "catechism" teaches the same, i.e., that a person can "get to dem big, pearly gates" in other ways,besides exclusively through the Lord Jesus Christ, as long as they are "sincere . . .

1260 "Since Christ died for all, and since all men are in fact called to one and the same destiny, which is divine, we must hold that the Holy Spirit offers to all the possibility of being made partakers, in a way known to God, of the Paschal mystery."62 Every man who is ignorant of the Gospel of Christ and of his Church, but seeks the truth and does the will of God in accordance with his understanding of it, can be saved. It may be supposed that such persons would have desired Baptism explicitly if they had known its necessity."

I know, I know....You misunderstand Catholicism, my dear John W., and what the pope said......................We will pray for you....Come back home, to Rome....Trust us, Rome....

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Have done the New Age tour and it's a path to hell. Repent.

Sounds both presumptuous and pious,....a classic combo there. You've still offered no intelligent explanation or proof of your 'assumption', to say nothing of it being 'new age'. And your call to 'repentance' is typical of religious fundamentalists, a 'mask' easily seen thru.

pj

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
All paths lead to God, but only one leads to being children of God, the other paths lead to the lake of fire.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
in all honesty.....

in all honesty.....

All paths lead to God, but only one leads to being children of God, the other paths lead to the lake of fire.

Can you provide proof for this 'assumption' outside of religious belief, opinion or interpretation of certain passages in a religious book?

:)

pj

skinker

There is but one way to God.

Jesus Christ via the written word.

John 14:6

oatmeal

No, you added that "via the written word" part because you fell for men's manipulation of the written Word(s) of God(s) now exposed for all Bible believers as false doctrines because the Bible itself was created as fiction presented as fact. The Bible Unearthed video reveals the historical truth that proves the writers of the Bible stories told lies and presented them as real history of the a people of God. Can't get spiritual authority from lies or liars. So, with that truth in mind, God has not left Christians bereft of spiritual guidance and John's words remain true--through heavenly, not earthly, confirmation in God's Sign Language in the night skies. Celestial Torah Christianity shows how Christ Aquarius rides in clouds of heaven (not earth) which refers to the Milky Way and it is the Sign of Aquarius where the Man Face of God Most High can be found, the Man with the Living Waters (see Jesus' references to Living Waters) to baptize, sanctify and bless the worthy righteous good man that follows the Good God Most High, EL Elyon which is the Canaanite name for the planet Saturn, the ancient traditional Ruler of Aquarius, Father to Son, Saturn to Christ Aquarius. And we know God Most High is in God's Sign Language as Saturn because Jews and Christians following the Jewish commandment are to worship God Most High on Saturn's Day.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
There are many journeys, but only one way. That way is Jesus Christ and faith in God through Him. The difficulty is if we have extra baggage on our journey from false religion.