toldailytopic: Is general revival at all any longer possible in the western church?

Aimiel

That is not quite what a revival is. It does not bring to life that which is dead.
If I die, please revive me.
But a revival, according to your position revives that which is dead. A person who is in Christ is not dead, so why would they have to be revived?
Because empty dead religion has gotten ahold of them and they believe they are already as 'right-as-rain' and so: cannot be taught anything. They've died in their empty, dead religion and inside them they are full of dead men's bones.
We are changed to be made in the image of Christ. We run the race with our eyes fixed on Him. That is not a revival, it is simply living in Jesus, through Him and for Him. It is a choice that people make. Revivals do not "fix" lethargy - they only emotionalize the Gospel into a mountain top experience that does not last making people fall back into their old routines because what they experienced is not a true response to the Gospel of Christ.
Again: everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Life in Christ is not about being revived every other day - it's about moving forward steadily in His grace, strength, mercy, and love through pain and suffering and sickness, in health, in good times and bad, bearing one's cross daily. No one wants to hear that at a "revival" - they want to hear all about the good stuff and have a warm fuzzy experience.
That isn't revival, that's churchianity. God wants to bring 'Christians' into a one-on-one relationship with Him through His Son. Without that: no one will survive what is coming.

musterion

In the days of Ezra the prophet, Israel was in much the same state as the Church today. Happily, however, some of the leaders became convicted that they had been neglecting the Word of God — especially that part which was addressed to them: the law of Moses.

As a result they built for Ezra a pulpit on which to stand and read the Scriptures to the people (Neh. 8:4). “From morning until midday” he read to them, while others mingled with the audience and “caused the people to understand.”
“So they read in the book, in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense,” [with the result that] “all the people went their way to eat, and to drink, and to send portions [gifts] and to make great mirth because they had understood the words that were declared unto them” (8, 12).
Similarly, after our Lord had explained the Scriptures to the two disciples on the way to Emmaus, they said to each other:
“Did not our heart burn within us, while He talked with us by the way, and while He opened to us the Scriptures?” (Luke 24:32).
Well-meaning groups and individuals have for decades been praying in vain for a true spiritual revival in the Church, but the only sure road to revival is a renewed interest in the Bible, and especially in what God there says to us in the Epistles of Paul.

When we become convicted of our neglect of God’s Word to us as found in the Epistles of Paul; when men of God “study” to “rightly divide” the Word and begin teaching it from the pulpit, a great spiritual revival will inevitably follow but, alas, most of God’s people are too complacent, too satisfied with a shallow profession to enter into this blessed experience. However, as we study the Word of God for ourselves, and especially that part of His Word which applies particularly to us, we, like the Israelites of Ezra’s day, will experience the joy of understanding God’s love letter to us.
http://tinyurl.com/mo35t7z

TweetyBird

If I die, please revive me.

Why?

Because empty dead religion has gotten ahold of them and they believe they are already as 'right-as-rain' and so: cannot be taught anything. They've died in their empty, dead religion and inside them they are full of dead men's bones.

A revival is not going to influence cold dead religion. Religion was never designed to do anything other than to put people in bondage to be dependent on that system, not on the Lord. It's a false dichotomy - come up with a revival to get people stirred up to stay in the same dead system.

Again: everyone is entitled to their opinion.That isn't revival, that's churchianity. God wants to bring 'Christians' into a one-on-one relationship with Him through His Son. Without that: no one will survive what is coming.

And that comes by being devoted to the Lord. I often think of Mary Magdalene who loved the Lord so very much. He who is forgiven much, loves much. A revival will not stir people up whose faith has gone cold. It is like putting a bandaid on a gaping hole, and it's going to bleed out anyway.

What is coming that a good solid believer in Christ cannot endure?

Aimiel

A revival is not going to influence cold dead religion. Religion was never designed to do anything other than to put people in bondage to be dependent on that system, not on the Lord. It's a false dichotomy - come up with a revival to get people stirred up to stay in the same dead system.
I'm certainly glad that Daddy Seymour didn't think that way, or the Azusa St. Revival never would have taken place and the current Pentecostal movement would never have happened. Since it has, millions have been saved, baptized in The Holy Spirit and many have been healed, delivered and set free from demonic forces.
And that comes by being devoted to the Lord. I often think of Mary Magdalene who loved the Lord so very much. He who is forgiven much, loves much. A revival will not stir people up whose faith has gone cold. It is like putting a bandaid on a gaping hole, and it's going to bleed out anyway.
God doesn't take small steps. He brings what He wants when He wants. He usually does so through revival.

When one reformer made a pole with two snakes intertwined, as a standard for the people to look to for healing, a nation was saved. When one reformer lay naked in the streets, that same nation was saved again. When one reformer was sold into slavery, they were saved again. When one reformer ate locusts and wild honey and preached repentance, many were baptized. When one reformer nailed his thesis to the vatican door: the protestant movement began, leading billions to the Truth. When one reformer sat outside of Bible college classrooms (because 'coloreds' weren't allowed to attend that Bible college) the Pentecostal movement began. When one little girl spoke to the congregation in Brownsville Assembly the 'River' movement began. Sorry, but God uses revival. Whether you understand His Ways or not or whether you believe He is alive or not.
What is coming that a good solid believer in Christ cannot endure?
Death, maybe...

Revelation 6:11
And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

I don't want to be put to death early and then be asked why I wasn't aware of what was coming so that I could avoid it. I want to be told of things that are about to happen. I want my death to have some meaning, should I be alive when the Antichrist takes over the earth.

John 16:13
Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

God wants us to know what is about to happen. He is more than willing to show us. We just have to ask.

Christ's Word

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 11th, 2013 05:00 AM

toldailytopic: Is general revival at all any longer possible in the western church?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

If you are speaking of the Americanized Church/Business where we pay leaders 6 figure salaries and have members attend a rock concert every Sunday morning for putting a $20 bill in the plate......NO a revival is not possible. The connection is a codependent emotional-economic connection rather than a God - Human connection.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If you are speaking of the Americanized Church/Business where we pay leaders 6 figure salaries and have members attend a rock concert every Sunday morning for putting a $20 bill in the plate......NO a revival is not possible. The connection is a codependent emotional-economic connection rather than a God - Human connection.

Rev 3:14 "And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write, 'These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God:
Rev 3:15 "I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot.
Rev 3:16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.
Rev 3:17 Because you say, 'I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing'—and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked—
Rev 3:18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see.
Rev 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent.
Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.
Rev 3:21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.
Rev 3:22 "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches." ' "

Truster

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Not according to scripture, but its all Pentecostals talk about. They are not interested in the truth as revealed in scripture.

fzappa13

Revival? ... ummm, who died?

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Not according to scripture, but its all Pentecostals talk about. They are not interested in the truth as revealed in scripture.

Give us a break.

If God saves one soul that is wonderful, if He saves two or three how wonderful, but if He saves by the hundreds or the thousands then something more remarkable is going on.

Whether you look at the bible or church history it is quite plain that there have been times when God has worked with power in a special way. During the 18th century so many were brought into a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ of all ranks and social position both in Britain and the fledgeling U states of A that society as a whole was transformed and that for the good.

You call it what you like, I will call it revival. It is happening on other continents.

Last edited:

republicanchick

revival comes from within. When people don't think there is much to change within, well, then they don't change.

A lot of "Christians" think they are just fine the way they are, even though they treat others poorly and etc. but Jesus said to love others as you love yourself. Would you say to yourself "self, you are dumb as a box of rocks?" Well, some of us probably would, at times anyway. But the point is, we should not say to others what we dont want said to us

jgarden

BANNED
Banned

The 2 areas where Christianity will make the greatest gains in the 21st C should be South America and Sub-Saharan Africa.

The fact that the RC Church recently elected an Argentinian pope reflects this demographic shift and there is a distinct possibility of an African pope in the near future.

The Western Church will not undergo a "general revival" unless their is a major threat to Europe and North America with which governments are unable to cope.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
What has been happening in Africa and China for the last 50 years has been harvest not revival. The difference is that these are brand new believers coming into the Kingdom, yes by the MILLIONS, it is all Pentecostal in nature

In the Latinos many have become protestant from catholic, this also has been the work of the pentecostals.

What is happening in Africa and Asia ought to be happening in the west...but the west has rejected it by and large.

Last edited:

Aimiel

Revival? ... ummm, who died?
Many, if not most, so-called 'Christian' churches of the West, today, are full of dead-men's bones and not The Spirit of The Lord as they are called to be filled with. The church doesn't teach the cross or make disciples. It fills pews with dead members, twice-dead because they preach their empty dead religion to others and chase them away from The Living God with their dead sayings about their lack of faith in The Living Word. We need revival now more than ever in history because of what is about to hit this world: the Anti-Christ who will lead even the very elect astray.

Aimiel

Soon the Great Healing Revival will break out, indeed it is already here. It will usher in the end-time harvest and will increase in size and strength as God wills.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Is general revival at all any longer possible in the western church?

Probably not, unless there is an extreme social reform, and society is moving in the complete opposite direction.

The fact of the matter is that Christianity is in the beginnings of being taken under siege. Christianity is probably going to soon be spending too much time enduring the onslaught to really have any thought of revival.

It's just a cold, blunt truth- the sooner it is acknowledged, the more Christians can be prepared.

Arianadia

An overall strengthening of the Christian faith in Church is definitely possible, I believe. I think Christians have only scraped the very basics of Scripture and what it means to be a Christian. Having studied Theology, I can say without a doubt, that where there once was a time Christians could not understand the Latin taught in Churches, now we have the multitude of translations but the subtleties of the Ancient Hebrew, for example, are missing. If you compare the original Hebrew scripts with most Biblical editions you will probably find that some of the Hebrew words have been left out, some of the meanings loosely translated, and some of the hidden meanings completely forgotten. A revival of a deeper study into Scripture by Christians could most certainly lead to a general revival within the Church. There is more than meets the eye when it comes to reading and (I would stress) understanding Scripture. No?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
An overall strengthening of the Christian faith in Church is definitely possible, I believe. I think Christians have only scraped the very basics of Scripture and what it means to be a Christian. Having studied Theology, I can say without a doubt, that where there once was a time Christians could not understand the Latin taught in Churches, now we have the multitude of translations but the subtleties of the Ancient Hebrew, for example, are missing. If you compare the original Hebrew scripts with most Biblical editions you will probably find that some of the Hebrew words have been left out, some of the meanings loosely translated, and some of the hidden meanings completely forgotten. A revival of a deeper study into Scripture by Christians could most certainly lead to a general revival within the Church. There is more than meets the eye when it comes to reading and (I would stress) understanding Scripture. No?

I can't disagree, but I'm happy with English and the King James Bible, it's all I need. I see no reason to introduce Greek, Latin or Hebrew in my studies, I study enough in English to keep me filled with the word. To each his own, have fun knowing 3 different languages to say the same thing.

Arianadia

I can't disagree, but I'm happy with English and the King James Bible, it's all I need. I see no reason to introduce greek, Latin or Hebrew in my studies, I study enough in English to keep me filled with thw word. To each his own, have fun knowing 3 different languages to say the same thing.

Well said Patrick, indeed being able to read the English definitely beats having to learn the Latin, especially in this day and age. That said...Latin does have a rather nice ring to it, especially when hearing it sung by the choir.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well said Patrick, indeed being able to read the English definitely beats having to learn the Latin, especially in this day and age. That said...Latin does have a rather nice ring to it, especially when hearing it sung by the choir.

Latin is good for saying things that contain much wisdom in fewer words: Lex orandi, lex credenda ;)

AMR