toldailytopic: Is it a sin to drink alcoholic beverages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Here's to a great topic of the day!

Cheers!! :cheers:

Do you know how many months I have been waiting to drop that last line????? :chuckle:

That's the only reason you even started this thread, isn't it?

:chuckle:

elohiym

I don't often drink beer, but when I do... I prefer Dos XX.

:chuckle: Stay thirsty, my friend.

Dos XX is actually my favorite Mexican beer. :up:

For domestic, I like Blue Moon Ale and Black Butte Porter.

The best beer is always whatever I'm brewing at home. My last batch was a peach ale. Excellent.

lowerlevel

Originally Posted by lowerlevel
But what about
"Is it a sin to drink alcohol in the presence of those who think it is a sin."
OR
"Is it a sin to drink alcohol in the presence of one who struggles with alcoholism"

I think both are situational but the second question is a bit more obvious than the first.
It is best not to drink in the presence of either. For the first, if you are seen an authoritative figure spiritually (pastor for example) - you could become a stumbling block for them, even if only temporarily. For the second, you should not go around tempting people with their weaknesses - you should not lead people to sin.
Dont you think some here might be seen as authoritative on scripture, yet it seems no one here is concerned that his/her comments might be a stumbling block to one struggling with alcohol. What if an ex addict is reading, and feels liberty to start drinking again because everyone here that claims christ seems to think there is no problem with it. so this ex addict drinks a little and becomes a drunkard again. whose fault is that?

and re: drinking in front of those who think it is a sin... isnt talking about how much you drink just as bad? So if any brother is offended by reading this thread, who is at fault?

Last edited:

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Dont you think some here might be seen as authoritative on scripture, yet it seems no one here is concerned that his/her comments might be a stumbling block to one struggling with alcohol. What if an ex addict is reading, and feels liberty to start drinking again because everyone here that claims christ seems to think there is no problem with it. so this ex addict drinks a little and becomes a drunkard again. whose fault is that?

and re: drinking in front of those who think it is a sin... isnt talking about how much you drink just as bad? So if any brother is offended by reading this thread, who is at fault?

I know recovering alcoholics. None of them would even imagine someone else is at fault for tempting them by drinking in front of them...if they weren't even aware they were alcoholics in the first place.

And even if you were aware and were so lacking in good manners as to do that anyway...they'd just leave. Though most I know would be thoughtful enough to inform you of just what measure of jerk you are before they left your presence.

Dude, I think you're placing responsibility where it just doesn't belong.

As for your other point, I think you're missing the subtle difference between avoiding offending others and allowing the offense of others to unreasonably dictate your behavior. In this politically correct environment especially it should be well established people can be offended at the most innocuous things.

lowerlevel

I know recovering alcoholics. None of them would even imagine someone else is at fault for tempting them by drinking in front of them...if they weren't even aware they were alcoholics in the first place.

And even if you were aware and were so lacking in good manners as to do that anyway...they'd just leave. Though most I know would be thoughtful enough to inform you of just what measure of jerk you are before they left your presence.

As for your other point, I think you're missing the subtle difference between avoiding offending others and allowing the offense of others to unreasonably dictate your behavior. In this politically correct environment especially it should be well established people can be offended at the most innocuous things.
dude... I wasnt intending to place any responsibility ... are they not valid questions?

as for the first example, forget the addict. What about a christian brother who simply sins against his conscience by joining in the party and having a drink, even though he doesnt have the freedom in his conscience to do so.

Paul talks about this at the end of Romans 14... but what is the practical outworking?

csuguy

No one is saying its ok to get drunk. If you are a drunkard, then of course you need to stay away from it - because you can't control yourself. If an ex-addict starts drinking again and goes out of control again - it is no ones fault but his own.

For the second part - if such people are on a site such as this, they had better expect to see people on both sides of the spectrum. If he is offended - it is his own fault for being on such a site.

csuguy

:thumb:

lowerlevel

So you would speak for all addicts?...
not sure we are on the same page... Im not talking about political correctness, Im talking about offending your christian brother in the biblical sense.
(2 Corinthians 6:3) giving no cause for offense in anything, so that the ministry will not be discredited,

lowerlevel

No one is saying its ok to get drunk. If you are a drunkard, then of course you need to stay away from it - because you can't control yourself. If an ex-addict starts drinking again and goes out of control again - it is no ones fault but his own.

For the second part - if such people are on a site such as this, they had better expect to see people on both sides of the spectrum. If he is offended - it is his own fault for being on such a site.

Im just trying to bring some biblical tension into the conversation Re: rom 14:16- 23

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
So you would speak for all addicts?...
Do I have to speak for all of them or just those that aren't prone to hysteria?
not sure we are on the same page... Im not talking about political correctness, Im talking about offending your christian brother in the biblical sense.
(2 Corinthians 6:3) giving no cause for offense in anything, so that the ministry will not be discredited,
I thought we were talking about offending alcoholics. But okay, point still stands. Christian alcoholics aren't, to my knowledge, any more prone to offense in this than non-Christian alcoholics.

lowerlevel

Do I have to speak for all of them or just those that aren't prone to hysteria?
dont know, but I certainly had a different experience when I worked for a rehab clinic. I dont think they would be justified to blame a relapse on someone else, but I would also cringe if I was somehow a cause for the relapse

lowerlevel

Rom 14:22 The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves.

Im just not seeing how this verse is being represented in any of the posts on this thread. But perhaps I am being a hypocritical stick in the mud... as this is, yes only a Forum

Gurucam

Nope. It's just a sin to become intoxicated or addicted by it.

The recommendation in the N.T. is to drink a little wine so as to alter one's level of consciousness (i.e. to become intoxicated). So that one can see more?

There was no mention of addiction. However becoming addicted is possible and could be bad.

Was this bad advise?

Status
Not open for further replies.