toldailytopic: Is it always wrong to kill another human?

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Why, who among us is sinless, and therefor righteous enough to stand in judgment of others? Not me, and not you, either. Jesus WAS that righteous, and he still chose not to condemn, but to forgive. He set the bar, not me.

I don't know that I can live up to such a challenge. But I'm not going to pretend that the standard hasn't been set. If I retaliate to the evil of others, in kind, then I know I will have become evil, myself.

If you happened upon the rape/murder of a child in progress and your only means of stopping it were through violent action, what would you do?

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Why, who among us is sinless, and therefor righteous enough to stand in judgment of others? Not me, and not you, either. Jesus WAS that righteous, and he still chose not to condemn, but to forgive. He set the bar, not me.

I don't know that I can live up to such a challenge. But I'm not going to pretend that the standard hasn't been set. If I retaliate to the evil of others, in kind, then I know I will have become evil, myself.

Thank you.. :e4e:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
According to the Law Jesus couldn't condemn her.

Also, I see no indication she was forgiven. All I see is no condemnation, because the law would not allow it, and a rebuke to go and sin no more.

Christ's Word

Shift the goal posts much?

Do you ever answer a simple question? Since you are too big a coward to answer, I will. Yes, I would certainly use lethal force to prevent a crime from happening or continuing.

Here in Missouri the law allows a person to use lethal force to prevent a car jacking, a sexual assault, an arson, a home invasion, and an attack by multiple assailants.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Like it or not, the spirit of Christ confronts us with this very difficult challenge of representing peace and love and forgiveness even in the face of hate and violence and death.

If you want to call yourself a Christian, then that would be the goal: to counter ... violence with forgiveness.

If I retaliate to the evil of others, in kind, then I know I will have become evil, myself.

If you happened upon the rape/murder of a child in progress and your only means of stopping it were through violent action, what would you do?

Shift the goal posts much?

No, I don't think so.

How about you?

fool

Hall of Fame
It's the Christian challenge, and it's a very difficult one. If you want to call yourself a Christian, then that would be the goal: to counter theft with generosity, hate with love, and violence with forgiveness. Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, and the life", and this was his way. The way of generosity, and love, and forgiveness. If that idea sickens you in some way, perhaps you have some serious soul-searching to do.

I'm all set thanks.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I would do whatever I could to prevent said event from continuing short of deadly force. Simply by intervening I'm quite sure the assault would not continue . . . don't you?

Well...Yeah, the guy might have to stop to stick a knife in your liver or something. :think:

How rude. :plain:

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Simply by intervening I'm quite sure the assault would not continue . . . don't you?

Let's see - a 250 pound attacker on crack determined to assault an innocent vs some gadfly crying out "stop that this instant" and stamping her foot at him. :think:

No, probably not.

You'd just get yourself killed along with the child.

But you would have shown mercy to the rapist/murderer so it's all good, right?

IMJerusha

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 29th, 2013 06:00 AM

toldailytopic: Is it always wrong to kill another human?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

No. "You shall not murder" which means kill maliciously and unlawfully. God's command does not encompass accidental killing, justifiable homicide, capital punishment or war.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Life sucks . . . then . . . you die.

Seriously ... after claiming *I* am overly emotional, your response is this?

The only thing that *sucks* about this whole discussion is when individuals care more about protecting violent criminals rather than their victims and making excuses for them.

It's bad enough that THE victim loses their life. What even makes matters worse is that the victim's family (who are secondary victims via the tremendous grief they have to live with) are spit on by a justice system that values the criminals life more than their family member.

A side has to be chosen ... either that of the victim and victim's loved ones OR that of the criminal. I will always be on the side of the victims.

genuineoriginal

No. "You shall not murder" which means kill maliciously and unlawfully. God's command does not encompass accidental killing, justifiable homicide, capital punishment or war.

God mentions accidental killing in Deuteronomy 19:4-6, where He says that the person that accidentally killed another is not worthy of death.