toldailytopic: Is it wise for a Christian parent to send their child to public school

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 8th, 2013 05:00 AM

toldailytopic: Is it wise for a Christian parent to send their child to government run public school?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

csuguy

Sure. What are you going to do instead? Hide them from the world for 18+ years and then expect them to smoothly integrate back into society when they need to go out and live on their own? Or will you have one of those creepy families where everyones still living together and visiting eachother on a daily basis because everyone is too attached?

Better for one to be exposed to the worlds corruption and opposing view points slowly over many years than to have everything thrust on a person at once.

Alate_One

It can be. It depends on the quality of the local schools and what options a parent can afford, Christian school, home school etc. I think homeschooling has serious downsides when dealing with issues of socialization early in the school career and proper subject matter coverage later on, high school.

Unfortunately in the USA, local property taxes often determine the quality of the school system. The richer the area, the better the schools, much of the time. Add on top of that the fact that poor families often can't afford private schools or homeschooling and you have a very bad system overall. Though I'm guessing that the idea of having similar quality, publicly available education for all would be seen as "evil" and "communist" by most posters here. How do those of you that think that, expect a family, barely surviving on minimum wage to afford to home school or private school for their children?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Absolutely!

"Why are you here? What is your purpose? Are Christians meant to eke out a passive existence in this life while they wait to die and go to heaven... or is there something more? The Bible tells us in Genesis 1:28 that God created us to multiply, fill the earth, and take dominion of His creation for His Glory. When Jesus came to earth, He gave his disciples the Great Commission and told them to make disciples of all nations, Baptize them, and teach them to obey all that he had commanded (Matthew 28:18-20). These two mandates form the basis for why Christ's Church exists on this planet. Every square inch of this world belongs to King Jesus. It is our privilege to serve Him by exercising servanthood dominion in every area of life."

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It depends on the parent and their priorities. In a public school, your child will more than likely not be able to participate in a Bible class ... and the parent has less say as to what goes on inside the classroom or who will be teaching their children.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 8th, 2013 05:00 AM

toldailytopic: Is it wise for a Christian parent to send their child to government run public school?

No. Even I was harmed by it--passing through an agnostic evolutionary phase. My mind was poisoned against scripture. The government has no business educating kids. That's the job of churches and parents.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
No. Even I was harmed by it--passing through an agnostic evolutionary phase. My mind was poisoned against scripture.

It's hardly fair to blame schools for that. In a secular society, you have to maintain your faith on your own, with your parents providing support when you are young. And, of course, evolution has no impact on faith, unless you've been indoctrinated to think creationism is Christianity.

The government has no business educating kids. That's the job of churches and parents.

You're at odds with American thinking, then. The founders considered public schools to be essential, and provided funding for them.

There are a few nations that don't primarily depend on public schools to educate children. Somalia comes to mind. Can you think of another, one in which you'd want to live?

Realistically, a nation that doesn't primarily depend on public schools for education is in very bad shape.

OMEGA

YES its ok.

Let the child get Beat up and ridiculed by his fellow students.

That way he will see what kind of Evil , Satanically inspired world that we live in.

He will then have a Reason to Search for and

Go to God for the Purpose of his Life and Wisdom and help and saving .

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It I think homeschooling has serious downsides when dealing with issues of socialization early in the school career and proper subject matter coverage later on, high school.

Like telling them that T-Rex morphed into Tweety bird?

Alate_One

Like telling them that T-Rex morphed into Tweety bird?

Only you say something that stupid. However, there are obvious similarities between smaller theropods and *actual* birds (vs. strangely drawn cartoon characters).

birdcompl.jpg

resurrected

BANNED
Banned

Not if they're Amish and expect their children to live their whole life apart from the "English"

otherwise? :idunno:

I have been fortunate to have been able to teach in one of the best public schools in New York State and in one of the absolute worst.

Best is better. :thumb:

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Wise? In some cases it is wiser than home schooling, in other cases, home schooling may be wiser.

My children go to public school but that does not mean that we abandoned them to the public schools. We are very involved with our children. We talk to them, we know their friends, we volunteer in their extra curricular activities and take them on trips. As a result, our kids have done very well. They are in honors and AP courses and they have good, solid friends. We have not had troubles with drugs or gangs.

What counts the most is loving your child and being involved with them. Never abandon them to anybody else.

drbrumley

No, it is not wise.

Every American who values liberty should support the homeschoolers’ cause. If the government can usurp parental authority over something as fundamental as the education of their children, there is almost no area of parenthood off limits to government interference.

Homeschooling has proven to be an effective means of education. We are all familiar with the remarkable academic achievements, including in national spelling bees and other competitions, by homeshcooled children. In addition, homeschooled students generally fare better than their public school educated peers on all measures of academic performance.

It makes sense that children do better when their education is controlled by those who know their unique needs best, rather than by a federal bureaucrat. A strong homeschooling movement may also improve other forms of education. If competition improves goods and services in other areas of life, why wouldn't competition improve education? A large and growing homeschooling movement could inspire public and private schools to innovate and improve.

When the government interferes with a parent's ability to choose the type of education that is best for their child, it is acting immorally and in a manner inconsistent with a free society. A government that infringes on the rights of homeschooling will eventually infringe on the rights of all parents. Homeschooled children are more likely to embrace the philosophy of freedom, and to join the efforts to restore liberty. In fact, I would not be surprised if the future leaders of the liberty movement were homeschooled.

I second Ron Paul's stance on this issue...Public schools, even the best, are disasters.

drbrumley

Sure. What are you going to do instead? Hide them from the world for 18+ years and then expect them to smoothly integrate back into society when they need to go out and live on their own? Or will you have one of those creepy families where everyones still living together and visiting eachother on a daily basis because everyone is too attached?

Better for one to be exposed to the worlds corruption and opposing view points slowly over many years than to have everything thrust on a person at once.

Myth: “Homeschooled kids do not get enough socialization.”

Since when is it the government’s job to provide my kid with friends? And since when does going to public school guarantee popularity? We have all known kids that that are lonely, shy, or friendless despite being in a classroom full of other kids day after day, year after year.

There is actually very little socialization occurring at today’s government schools, unless by socialization you mean “indoctrination” or “institutionalization.” Recess is becoming a thing of the past, and even lunch period has become a no talking zone in my local school district, with “silent lunch” in effect. The fact is that today’s schools have very little resemblance to the schooldays you may reminisce about.

But homeschooling is whatever you make it to be. The social opportunities are out there through co-ops, churches, extra-curricular activities, you just have to be motivated enough to get your child involved. How do you find other homeschooled kids? When you are out and about during the day and see other school-aged kids, chances are they are homeschooled – introduce yourself and don’t be afraid to ask questions. Search Google or Yahoo Groups for homeschool groups in your area, and if you don’t find one, start one. Ask your local library or teacher supply store if they know of other homeschooling families. Book sales and churches are another good place to start. As you become involved in extra-curricular activities like scouting or sports, ask around – there are probably other homeschooled kids there, too. Soon enough your calendar will be full of play dates and field trips and park days. Good thing our school day is half the length of the public school day and we don’t have homework – now we actually have much more time to socialize with friends and family – a perfect segue into the next myth... Taken from the Survival Blog

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If parents want their children raised well they need to do it themselves.

Breathe

My son did very well in public school - and in a state run university. But you can't just throw them out into ANY school without committing yourself to be involved in their educational process from beginning to end.