toldailytopic: Is it wrong to hate wicked people?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 21st, 2013 06:00 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

bybee

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 21st, 2013 06:00 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

This is such an important question. The obviously evil deeds commited blatantly by some persons must be hated and vigorously fought against.
I am, however, fearful of the rush to judgment when a person has appeared to commit evil and the evidence may be circumstantial.
It is a balance between protecting the vulnerable and the innocent while yet protecting individual rights.
I am personally disgusted by dirty obscene talk. Is it evil? To me it is a form of degradation of the spirit. I will denounce it if someone is foolish enough to engage in it in my presence.
Since I also won't tolerate blasphemy I try to be careful of the religious beliefs of others.
Some behavior is just specious nonsense:party: by those seeking attention. Not evil, just stupid.:dead:

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Yes. To hate the wicked is to assume the mantle of judge. I think Jesus came to save the MOST wicked. Saul of Tarsus was terribly wicked, when he saw Stephen's face light up like an angel it made him gnash his teeth. He spared nobody, men women or their kids.....but he got saved.

I really am coming to believe that it is the most wicked who He elects, He lifts them, He cleans them up, then He turns them out to bless mankind.

The greatest weakness in the church at the present time is the morality of the age, civility, politeness, it is all a mask for the true condition of our hearts. If we go by the bible it says our hearts are desperately wicked but how few believe that of themselves, that is to not know our own hearts.

It will not surprise folks that I blame all this upon the all prevailing freewill theology in the church.

There was no such THING as an altar call in olden days evangelism, the gospel was preached and the people were left in the hands of the Holy Ghost who worked out their salvation with mighty power in their heart and His work was THOROUGH so that when people came out the other side they were utterly transformed.

With the appeal to freewill, the calling for decisions etc all this heart working of the Holy Ghost was replaced by counselling. People are only half saved, the thorough work is not done. They are saved yes [though not all] but it is a kind of puffed up salvation which leads them to believe since they made the right decision they must be better than their fellows.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't think it's necessarily *wrong*, just rather subjective insofar as the word "wicked".

I am not capable of caring about or loving child molesters, rapists, murderers, etc., so I certainly can't expect this from others.

genuineoriginal

Yes, it is wrong to hate wicked people so much that you refuse to rebuke them for their sins.

Leviticus 19:17
17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.​

PureX

I believe it's wrong to hate anyone. And I understand the difference between what people do and what people are.

PureX

oh really?

what they do is what they are
No, it isn't. Although I would agree that a lot of people use other people's actions as labels, so that they can then ignore the human being behind the label and feel free to 'hate on' the *insert label here*.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
No, it isn't. Although I would agree that a lot of people use other people's actions as labels, so that they can then ignore the human being behind the label and feel free to 'hate on' the *insert label here*.

so how do you determine what they are?

by what they say?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
As long as you channel that hatred in a positive way, it will benefit both the wicked and society.

I hate an apathetic society that tolerates wickedness.