toldailytopic: Jesus, who is He?

Status
Not open for further replies.

genuineoriginal

Too generic...JWs, Mormons, former Armstrongites, Catholics, Evangelicals, etc. can claim the same thing, but JWs/Mormons, etc. have different views than historical Christians.
He is the Jewish Moshiach promised by YHVH God, the descendant of King David (the branch), who lived, was crucified and died, but not for Himself, and who rose from the dead, and the King who will rule all the nations on Earth from Jerusalem in Israel when He returns.

Is that specific enough?

elohiym

He was on God's planning board for the future...

Col 1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

There it states quite plainly that all things were created by Christ.

So doesn't that mean if he came in the flesh (1Jo 4:2) that before he came he was some being that created all things? Who could that being be? :think:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
He is the Jewish Moshiach promised by YHVH God, the descendant of King David (the branch), who lived, was crucified and died, but not for Himself, and who rose from the dead, and the King who will rule all the nations on Earth from Jerusalem in Israel when He returns.

Is that specific enough?

No, various pseudo-Christian cults can say this.

Whether He is Almighty God in the flesh or not is the dividing line between Christianity and cultism.

The Graphite

Oh, and to be clear, He is 100% God and 100% man. He has eternally been God, and He has been a man for just over two millenia. And He always will be a man.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Jesus Christ, the Word in the beginning, God made flesh, saviour of mankind and second person in the Trinity.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Oh, and to be clear, He is 100% God and 100% man. He has eternally been God, and He has been a man for just over two millenia. And He always will be a man.

You are partly correct, Jesus became flesh, fully God and fully man, but Jesus rose from the dead to finish His work, then ascended into heaven.

We agree so far, then I ask you why He would remain a man, in the flesh, thus being in a less than perfect state? Surely Jesus is God, but so many fail to understand why He is God maninly because they cannot make sense out of this idea that Jesus has a man body. It sure is misleading.

Too many still rely on anthropomorphic explanations that distort the true nature of God. He allegorically sits at the right hand of God the Father, but I assure, the Son does not spend eternity sitting around like a man on a park bench in heaven.

The Graphite

You are partly correct, Jesus became flesh, fully God and fully man, but Jesus rose from the dead to finish His work, then ascended into heaven.

We agree so far, then I ask you why He would remain a man, in the flesh, thus being in a less than perfect state? Surely Jesus is God, but so many fail to understand why He is God maninly because they cannot make sense out of this idea that Jesus has a man body. It sure is misleading.

Too many still rely on anthropomorphic explanations that distort the true nature of God. He allegorically sits at the right hand of God the Father, but I assure, the Son does not spend eternity sitting around like a man on a park bench in heaven.
I'd certainly agree that He is no longer "emptied" of those omni- attributes, and being God, He can be anywhere and everywhere He wants to be. I don't know anyone who believe He's going to just sit around on a throne, bored and boring, forever. He is living and active!

I see no indication that He has ceased to be a man. We have scripture showing He was not a man. And we have scripture showing He became a man. Do you have scritpure that shows He is no longer a man?

Or to use a fancier word.... where is His humanity abrogated?

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Who is Jesus?

1. Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly.

2. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity;

3. Neither confounding the persons, nor dividing the substance

4. For there is one Person of the Father, another of the Son and another of the Holy Spirit.

5. But the Godhead of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit is all one, the glory equal, the majesty co-eternal.

6. Such as the Father is, such is the Son and such is the Holy Spirit.

7. The Father uncreate, the Son uncreate, and the Holy Spirit uncreate.

8. The Father incomprehensible, the Son incomprehensible, and the Holy Spirit incomprehensible.

9. The Father eternal, the Son eternal, and the Holy Spirit eternal.

10. And yet they are not three eternals, but one eternal.

11. As also there are not three uncreated nor three incomprehensibles, but one uncreated and one incomprehensible.

12. So likewise the Father is almighty, the Son almighty, and the Holy Spirit almighty;

13. And yet they are not three almighties, but one almighty.

14. So the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God;

15. And yet they are not three Gods, but one God.

16. So likewise the Father is Lord, the Son Lord, and the Holy Spirit Lord;

17. And yet they are not three Lords, but one Lord.

18. For like as we are compelled by the Christian verity to acknowledge every person by himself to be God and Lord;

19. So are we forbidden by the catholic religion to say: There are three Gods or three Lords.

20. The Father is made of none, neither created nor begotten.

21. The Son is of the Father alone; not made nor created, but begotten.

22. The Holy Spirit is of the Father and of the Son; neither made, nor created, nor begotten, but proceeding.

23. So there is one Father, not three Fathers; one Son, not three Sons; one Holy Spirit, not three Holy Spirits.

24. And in this Trinity none is afore, nor after another; none is greater, or less than another.

25. But the whole three persons are co-eternal, and co-equal.

26. So that in all things, as aforesaid, the Unity in Trinity and the Trinity in Unity is to be worshipped.

27. He therefore that will be saved must thus think of the Trinity.

28. Furthermore it is necessary to everlasting salvation that he also believe rightly the incarnation of our Lord Jesus Christ.

29. For the right faith is that we believe and confess that our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is God and man.

30. God of the substance of the Father, begotten before the worlds; and made of the substance of His mother, born in the world.

31. Perfect God and perfect man, of a reasonable soul and human flesh subsisting.

32. Equal to the Father as touching His Godhead, and inferior to the Father as touching His manhood.

33. Who, although He is God and man, yet He is not two, but one Christ.

34. One, not by conversion of the Godhead into flesh, but by taking of the manhood into God.

35. One altogether, not by the confusion of substance, but by unity of person.

36. For as the reasonable soul and flesh is one man, so God and man is one Christ;

37. Who suffered for our salvation, descended into hell, rose again the third day from the dead;

38. He ascended into heaven, He sitteth on the right hand of the Father, God Almighty;

39. From thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.

40. At whose coming all men shall rise again with their bodies;

41. And shall give account of their own works.

42. And they that have done good shall go into life everlasting, and they that have done evil into everlasting fire.

43. This is the catholic faith, which except a man believe faithfully, he cannot be saved.

AMR

Last edited:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I do agree with most but take exception to the 'body' part, yet try to explain that to a people who knew of no concept of pleasure but coming from the body?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I'd certainly agree that He is no longer "emptied" of those omni- attributes, and being God, He can be anywhere and everywhere He wants to be. I don't know anyone who believe He's going to just sit around on a throne, bored and boring, forever. He is living and active!

I see no indication that He has ceased to be a man. We have scripture showing He was not a man. And we have scripture showing He became a man. Do you have scritpure that shows He is no longer a man?

Or to use a fancier word.... where is His humanity abrogated?

We do know He was made of finer essence after the Resurrection, otherwise how would Thomas place his hand into the side of Christ without it being a festering wound?

Jesus is eternal, he was pure spirit, became flesh to take on the sins of man. There is no reason to assume He remained in that earthly state from then into eternity.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A false gospel, AMR.

A man must believe 43 different things or else he cannot be saved? Poppycock.

That would make Romans 10:9 a page and a half long.
No, you miss the essential truth of the Athanasian Creed if you take this away as a message. Knee-jerk reaction.

Perhaps Hebrews 2:12 - 2:18 will suffice for you, as the Creed states nothing contrary to the depths of the passage, when properly plumbed.

If you are going to appeal to Romans 10:9, at least complete the chain: Romans 3:23; 6:23; 8:1; 10:9; 10:13.

The point of the Creed is that no true Christian will reject its teachings once they have been properly instructed, mature in their understanding, etc. The Creed I quoted defines Jesus Christ from the teachings of Scripture. If you do not believe it, then the Christ you have placed your faith in is a false Christ, an idol. Creeds and Confessions are used to define the unity and boundaries of that which we claim, based upon Scripture, and to identify heresies. As soon as one starts to deconstruct the Creed above, taking issues with it, the truth of what I have stated (and the Creed's admonishment) will clearly emerge. Try it for yourself. :squint:

AMR

Demon Buster

Amen........Jesus Son of God

BTW. thanks for that invite.....I tryed to send one bsck to you but was unable to...sory for such a delay

MacGyver

Most atheists do not doubt His historicity.

The Bible is unsurpassed as accurate historical narrative and divine revelation.

The real issue is who is Jesus and what are you going to do with Him based on His claims (Jn. 3:16; Jn. 14:6; Acts 4:12).

Your eternal destiny rides on this, so only a fool would not pursue the truth. I guess your first step would be to settle the existence of God issue (Psalm 14:1).
I doubt your atheist claim is true, but that doesn't really matter. We don't have any first-hand documents, this does matter. I, personally, wouldn't be surprised if Jesus was a real person, but currently there aren't any first-hand documents supporting his existence. The Bible may be 100% true, but we can't rely on one source. We need at least several independent sources.

Ecumenicist

In "The Quest of the Historical Jesus" Albert Schweitzer looks at all the theologians who described Jesus prior to his time. He found that each one of them described Jesus as a person very much like their own "idealized" personas.

When people look at Jesus, they look in a mirror, reflecting what they believe is the good aspect of their natures.

Jesus is wholly man, and wholly God, at the same time completely human and completely Divine. If this is impossible to understand, its because its impossible to understand. We're only human, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.