toldailytopic: Monsters! What (yet to be discovered) creatures are the most likely to

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Graphite

Years ago, I convinced my Japanese friends (while living in Japan) that the jackalope is real. I showed them a postcard I'd brought from home. They totally bought it, and were completely amazed.

I let them off the hook... later. :eek:

Cracked

Years ago, I convinced my Japanese friends (while living in Japan) that the jackalope is real. I showed them a postcard I'd brought from home. They totally bought it, and were completely amazed.

I let them off the hook... later. :eek:

I went snipe hunting once... :noid:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Just curious...what evidence shows you that a small population of semi-large underwater creatures could not live in a deep cavernous lake such as Loch Ness?

There is no where to hide from the indepth sonar done in the 70's nor enough food for a breeding population. If there are large sea going creatures undiscovered, they are likely in the ocean where there is plenty of food and hiding spots.

The earth isn't 5 billion years old, so links to animals that are thought to be dead for 70 million years are meaningless.

Alate_One

I went snipe hunting once... :noid:
Except, Snipes are real . . . :p

Good luck catching one with a bag though ^_^

Does Alate_One's Cro-Magnon head count? :think:
Cro-Magnons are completely modern humans btw and probably pretty much everyone here's ancestors. So if you were trying for an insult . . you missed by a mile. :p

I think that freakish sonogram for an avatar should count though. . . . :eek:

WRT the topic:
When I was little, I thought quite a few of the crypto-beasts were real, though not bigfoot. But the chances of finding something large and new other than hiding somewhere in the DEEP ocean is pretty remote in this day and age. After all, they finally filmed a live giant squid not long ago. I do half wonder if they'll find a trilobite or some other ancient ocean critter in the future.

New species are discovered all the time, but they aren't "monsters" unless you consider giant rats to be monsters. ;)

bybee

Rats

Rats

Except, Snipes are real . . . :p

Good luck catching one with a bag though ^_^

Cro-Magnons are completely modern humans btw and probably pretty much everyone here's ancestors. So if you were trying for an insult . . you missed by a mile. :p

I think that freakish sonogram for an avatar should count though. . . . :eek:

WRT the topic:
When I was little, I thought quite a few of the crypto-beasts were real, though not bigfoot. But the chances of finding something large and new other than hiding somewhere in the DEEP ocean is pretty remote in this day and age. After all, they finally filmed a live giant squid not long ago. I do half wonder if they'll find a trilobite or some other ancient ocean critter in the future.

New species are discovered all the time, but they aren't "monsters" unless you consider giant rats to be monsters. ;)

He looked friendly, and, he is an herbivore! My dad was in the "Trenches" in France during WWI. He said there were rats there as big as small dogs. Someone always had to be on watch for them because they were omnivores and dangerous. Thanks for the link. I admire explorers. peace, bybee

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
There is no where to hide from the indepth sonar done in the 70's nor enough food for a breeding population. If there are large sea going creatures undiscovered, they are likely in the ocean where there is plenty of food and hiding spots.

The earth isn't 5 billion years old, so links to animals that are thought to be dead for 70 million years are meaningless.

Read a science book Nick. Planets don't form overnight.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
He looked friendly, and, he is an herbivore! My dad was in the "Trenches" in France during WWI. He said there were rats there as big as small dogs. Someone always had to be on watch for them because they were omnivores and dangerous. Thanks for the link. I admire explorers. peace, bybee

Actually....when I was a kid growing up in Jersey we used to play in the swamps and marshes which N.E. Jersey is known for. The rats were kind of like that out there too. We always carried "spears" of sorts for "protection"....luckily none of us ever got bit, but there were some close calls. :chuckle:

.....the feral cats which were out there got even bigger. Huge battle scarred felines which roamed about. The largest one we had named Frankenstein (for obvious enough reasons if you ever saw him) but they (the cats) were never considered threats to us, just to the rats. I guess the cats considered us all on the same side. :think:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I once had a comic book in which Godzilla got shrunk and had to fight a rat in the sewers of New York. Naturally, Godzilla won. Cuz, you know, he's King of the Monsters.

Yeah and he's got....like.....Zippo breath and stuff. :plain:

One Eyed Jack

I've personally seen a rat the size of a small dog. Fortunately, it was dead.

bybee

How telling!

How telling!

I found a new species a few years ago, my mother outlaw, oops! I mean my mother inlaw ;-)

Isn't it strange, I have had several sons-in-law and remain on good terms with all of them! They are, after all, the fathers of my beloved grandchildren. My mother was absolutely hateful to my husband. He once ordered her out of our home because she was upsetting me so dreadfully and I was seven months pregnant. She was like a banty rooster and she was flabbergasted at his temerity. I was hysterical by then but I supported my husband. She gained a grudging respect for him which came to be love and admiration. With good will much is possible. peace, bybee :chuckle:

sdgareth

Yeah been through that

My inlaws went through a divorce after 30 years of marrige. My wife was 8 months preggers with our first. My mother inlaw was having a full go at my wife about her "father" and what he did to her mother. My wife was stressing out big time.

She was way out of line. I told her so, I did what I thought was right.
I still get reminded of the incident by one and all

Needless to say she is BPD (borderline Personality Disorder) sufferer.

Alate_One

Read a science book Nick. Planets don't form overnight.
Read a science book . . . :rotfl:

The other problem is, the age of the earth has nothing to do with finding creatures that were supposedly extinct, alive today. It happens all the time and it isn't a problem for science. As I said in my own post, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if we found something like a trilobite still alive.

Finding dinosaurs . . .probably not unless you're talking about the feathered ones on your bird feeder. ;)

bybee

Blessings to you

Blessings to you

Yeah been through that

My inlaws went through a divorce after 30 years of marrige. My wife was 8 months preggers with our first. My mother inlaw was having a full go at my wife about her "father" and what he did to her mother. My wife was stressing out big time.

She was way out of line. I told her so, I did what I thought was right.
I still get reminded of the incident by one and all

Needless to say she is BPD (borderline Personality Disorder) sufferer.

I believe you did the right thing. Don't take any Cr-- from anybody! You were protecting your wife! bybee

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm gonna mess this story up, but I'll try from recollection...

I used to have a friend that was a geologist. He had formerly worked with a scientist who had spent some time exploring some remote regions of Africa. That man told stories to my friend of the natives in the remote region who had a word - "Mochilimimbe" (no clue on the spelling; pronounced "Mo-kill-ee-mim-bay", as I recall) - for a "beast" that lived there and was seen on very rare occasion. The name meant something like "stops up rivers" because it was supposedly huge. The picture they drew of the creature was a dinosaur-looking creature.

For what it's worth.

And by the way, speaking of Godzilla, I'm holding out hope of someone finding the remains of Mothra one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.