toldailytopic: Racism. Should people have the right to be racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cracked

You can be racist is you like, you're wrong, but you can. However, trying to act on that racism in society will reap you the whirlwind, in most cases, as it should.

The Berean

Maybe I'll start the United Caucasian College Fund and advertise it on a network called White Entertainment Television. :think:

Would that be racist? By definition, yes it would.

Would it be immoral? No.

Is "white" a race? From a historical view the word "Caucasian" has referred to people from the Caucasus Mountain region which is between the Black and Caspian Seas (which is basically in Eurasia). So people from western Europe are NOT Caucasians. But the US Government defines "white people" as any people with origins from Europe, the Middle East or North Africa. And Mexican-Americans are considered "white-Hispanics" even though if you ever met me you would NEVER think of me as a "white" person. :chuckle:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Your 'lawn mowed' example is simple, you can hire anyone you want whether your a white-bigot moron or a black who hates whites.

How come the white bigot is a moron but the black guy simply hates whites? Isn't the black guy a moron too? :think:

I am serious, btw. Even though there is a valid concern in regards to racism, there is also a double standard when it comes to discerning who is and who isn't a racist.

IF I were to make the statement that I only date white men and a black woman states she only dates black men, which one of us do you think would be accused of being a racist?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Is "white" a race? From a historical view the word "Caucasian" has referred to people from the Caucasus Mountain region which is between the Black and Caspian Seas (which is basically in Eurasia). So people from western Europe are NOT Caucasians. But the US Government defines "white people" as any people with origins from Europe, the Middle East or North Africa. And Mexican-Americans are considered "white-Hispanics" even though you if met me you would NEVER think of me as a "white" person. :chuckle:

You make a good point. The concept of 'race' is in error as there is no such thing; what we are is people of different ethnic backgrounds.

RACE
This concept I do believe is active mainly here because of the subjection of people of African decent that we contrive of this as a race, rather than the actuality of many sub-ethnic groups. Just as the 'whites' are many sub-ethnic groups.

The central issue is since this division had occurred as the justification of human subjugation, it cannot be relieve without a discourse to amend it. That being still an issue, leave open 'race' as a definitive concept needing a resolution.

I also believe that the prejudice towards our Latin neighbours has nothing to do with being Latin or Spanish, but everything to do with being Indian, or Armenian.

People by nature, are hampered by the looks of others and as silly as that seems, it is fact, we judge based on perceptions of difference, not essence.

The Berean

Would Jesus be supportive of the United Negro College Fund? :think:

I read the UNCF website and their scholarships are open to all students, not just "Negro" students (where is koban when I need him? :chuckle: )

Q: Does UNCF only support African American education?

A:UNCF was founded to address inequities in the educational opportunities afforded to African Americans. UNCF believes in higher education opportunities for all Americans. UNCF-member schools do not discriminate and UNCF-administered scholarships are open to all.

El DLo

In thought? Absolutely. Someone's going to be racist whether it's legal or not, so no sense in making it illegal. However whether or not it should be legal in voice is debatable. On one hand, the constitution protects freedom of speech, but should there be an exception for hate-speech? I say no, unless it can invoke riotous behavior (which is already illegal). So for me, I say it should be legal except in action for obvious reasons, because then people are being put in danger.

koban

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 19th, 2009 10:05 AM

toldailytopic: Racism. Should people have the right to be racist? If so, how far should those rights extend?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

No. Racists should be punished.

Especially the smelly black ones. :devil:

Arthur Brain

You didn't answer anything. I provided a passage that showed without ambiguity that God is a racist, and you did not address the passage regarding what God did, but rather evaded the point and equivocated by asking whether we should give an eye for an eye.

Prove God is not a racist. I already proved God is a racist, by his own words and the English definitions of the words race, racism, and discrimination. Those words are morally neutral, but you have thus far failed to comprehend that salient point.

God created the whole human race! Did He predestine some to be inferior to others?! :dizzy:

The dictionary definition defines racism as the belief in having superiority above others. It also encapsulates prejudice in the same regard and that's with your own link :doh:

Get a grip, and while you're at it why not address why Jesus made such a point of a samaritan being good? Thoughts? :squint:

elohiym

God created the whole human race! Did He predestine some to be inferior to others?! :dizzy:

I consider you evidence that He did.

The dictionary definition defines racism as the belief in having superiority above others. It also encapsulates prejudice in the same regard and that's with your own link :doh:

racism (noun) - racial prejudice or discrimination.

God is a racist. I already showed you several scriptures that involve blatant racial discrimination. That's racism. Period. You lose.

Get a grip, and while you're at it why not address why Jesus made such a point of a samaritan being good? Thoughts? :squint:

That's as irrelevant to this topic as your predestination question.

Arthur Brain

I consider you evidence that He did.

Oh ok. Nothing better than flippant ad homs. How very superior of you. :rolleyes: If you really think that God predestined certain people to be inferior to others then explain.

racism (noun) - racial prejudice or discrimination.

God is a racist. I already showed you several scriptures that involve blatant racial discrimination. That's racism. Period. You lose.

Um, I've seen the definitions thanks and they don't help your cause. God is the creator of all human life. I have never met anyone in life or on a forum who claims that God is as you describe. I wonder why? :dizzy:

That's as irrelevant to this topic as your predestination question.

Well you still felt inclined to answer it. If you think God is a 'racist' then you have little choice to accept predestination if God creates ALL people to begin with and then undermines them because of their tribe.

The good samaritan is entirely relevant. One of the major points in that parable is that all the more likely benefactors to the victim at that time passed by. Samaritans weren't held in any esteem and if anything this story places the value on seeing people as people, and not simply a label. Get the relevance now?

lowerlevel

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 19th, 2009 10:05 AM

toldailytopic: Racism. Should people have the right to be racist? If so, how far should those rights extend?

Not being a minority myself, I certainly have a biased opinion on this, but I feel like minorities have been given more of a "right" to be racist.

There should be no right to be racist in this country... for we were all created equal in the eyes of our creator...
but it is annoying that so many lean on a crutch of "others being racist toward them" boo hoo.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
There should be no right to be racist in this country... for we were all created equal in the eyes of our creator...
but it is annoying that so many lean on a crutch of "others being racist toward them" boo hoo.
If people don't have the right to be racist, what should be done about racists?

The Graphite

Rights come from our Creator. Nobody has the "right" to believe something evil. They do have the freedom to have racist beliefs.

As for criminal justice, a government does not have the authority from God to criminalize such beliefs. So, they have the freedom from God to have that evil thought, and they should have the freedom from their government to have that evil thought.

Of course, if you love your neighbor, you will tell him that racism is wrong, that it is destructive to others and to himself. And you will share with him the good news of Jesus Christ, and teach him that we are all "one blood" according to the Bible.

lowerlevel

If people don't have the right to be racist, what should be done about racists?
hmmm. great question. touche'
for one i think it is kinda hard to "catch" a racist- its kinda of like what we deal with on TOL all the time, "they said this but they meant that..." "no I mean this"

also, there are different "levels" of racism (if you will) from the harmless to the casual to the extremely hateful and harmful. so they would need to be dealt with dfferently.

so... I dont know.

Last edited:

lowerlevel

Rights come from our Creator. Nobody has the "right" to believe something evil. They do have the freedom to have racist beliefs.

As for criminal justice, a government does not have the authority from God to criminalize such beliefs. So, they have the freedom from God to have that evil thought, and they should have the freedom from their government to have that evil thought.

Of course, if you love your neighbor, you will tell him that racism is wrong, that it is destructive to others and to himself. And you will share with him the good news of Jesus Christ, and teach him that we are all "one blood" according to the Bible.

guess you would have to distinguish racist beliefs from racist actions...
but thats about as clear as mud sometimes.

El DLo

I know I already posted on this thread, but just to expand, it's like comparing a sociopath to a murderer. A murderer is someone who kills someone. Due to the nature of it, it's something that can be criminalized. However, being a sociopath (while potentially leading to murder) only exists as a personal feeling. Racism is no different. People think what they think and feel how they feel for whatever reason, but no government can successfully prohibit thought.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Yet you don't think that all racism is evil do you?

Take the example of the Mexican restaurant that prefers to hire Mexicans.

lowerlevel

i saw a guy a couple times in my home town who had Tourette's (i think) with a quite unfortunate phonic tic. From what we could tell, he couldnt help but blurt the "N word" every time he saw black people. He tried to cover it by switching to other n-words such as nnnn-ever nnn-ight.

El DLo

Yet you don't think that all racism is evil do you?

Take the example of the Mexican restaurant that prefers to hire Mexicans.

This is an interesting case to consider. Not all racism is intentionally derogatory, especially in the case of ethnic restaurants, so that's something else to be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.