toldailytopic: Should the Boy Scouts of America lift the gay ban and allow homosexual

gcthomas

We're on track.

You don't believe in God, likely because you can't substantiate from any direct evidence (that would convince you) that any god exists.

In the same way, you can't substantiate from any direct evidence that there are any moral absolutes that would make "inclusion" or "acceptance" or "tolerance" anything more than a societal construct that just so happens to represent the existing cultural zeitgeist. As such, your philosophical convictions are merely a reflection of the direction that the cultural wind is blowing.

What convictions do atheists have? Whatever convictions are most popular to have at any given time.

In order to make substantive change you actually have to believe in something.

So there is no variation amongst Christians as to what those absolute morals are, then? If there is disagreement as to what is and isn't moral amongst believers, then what determines those differences? Aren't they a "merely a reflection of the direction that the cultural wind is blowing"?

Granite

Hall of Fame
We're on track.

You don't believe in God, likely because you can't substantiate from any direct evidence (that would convince you) that any god exists.

More or less, but if you ever want to get into it further you can ask.:cheers:

In the same way, you can't substantiate from any direct evidence that there are any moral absolutes that would make "inclusion" or "acceptance" or "tolerance" anything more than a societal construct that just so happens to represent the existing cultural zeitgeist.

Uh, no. Not really. In fact, not at all. And if you're going to presume to know me and what I think then there's zero point in having a discussion. I have no use whatsoever for somebody who fancies themselves a mind reader. Hope that clears things up.

I believe there are behaviors beneficial to the species's survival that have proved useful over time. We learned the value of altruism a long time ago, and for good reason. The constructs you're referring to just so happen to be altruistic. We've made it this far as a species because we (usually) choose to cooperate and work for our survival, recognizing the obvious benefits in such behavior. Treating our neighbors well (as opposed to, say, simply not killing them) is a nice touch, obviously, for various reasons.

As such, your philosophical convictions are merely a reflection of the direction that the cultural wind is blowing.

No, wrong again. One more time, drop the mind reader shtick. If you're interested in what a person thinks it helps to ask them, as opposed to acting like an arrogant, pretentious stuffed shirt. Just FYI.

What convictions do atheists have?

Why don't you ask some of them?:rolleyes:

Whatever convictions are most popular to have at any given time.

Complete and utter foolishness. Are you actually trying to tell me that atheists throughout history who risked shunning, banishment, torture, or death did so because they thought non-belief was popular?:rolleyes:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
So if the Scouts wanted to exclude blacks, or Jews, or Koreans, or any other group, you'd have no problem with that whatsoever?
Homos are not a race of people. Being a homo means you perform certain actions, certain immoral actions to be more precise. You could be a Jewish homo, a Indian homo, a Greek homo, an African homo, Chinese homo or any other sort of homo and I still wouldn't want them in any sort of position of authority over any child (or anyone else for that matter).

You might say that I'm an equal opportunity homophobe. They all disgust me equally, regardless of race, color, creed or gender.

Resting in Him,
Clete

genuineoriginal

Homos are not a race of people. Being a homo means you perform certain actions, certain immoral actions to be more precise. You could be a Jewish homo, a Indian homo, a Greek homo, an African homo, Chinese homo or any other sort of homo and I still wouldn't want them in any sort of position of authority over any child (or anyone else for that matter).

You might say that I'm an equal opportunity homophobe. They all disgust me equally, regardless of race, color, creed or gender.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Trying to talk sense into him doesn't do any good. He appears to believe that anyone that is not a white male is some kind of sexual pervert.

Granite

Hall of Fame

Resting in Him,
Clete

Ummm...good for you. That's the sort of thing looks good on a resume.:dunce:

It's guys like you who kept schools segregated and country clubs lily white. Guys like you institutionalized hatred and ignorance. Fortunately, bigotry has a shorter and shorter shelf life.

You brushed up on your history yet, Clete? Always here to teach you another lesson next time you drop a whopper.:chuckle:

bybee

Perhaps when your belief system emerges from medieval times.

I do not require your acceptance. Nor, I suspect, do you require my acceptance.
We must get along in society or chaos will ensue.
We have the right of assembly as we see fit.

Zeus

BANNED
Banned
Have you ever heard of a group called MADD?

Their entire existance is to promote discrimination, prejudice, and bigotry against a group of people identified by their conduct.

What a poorly constructed comparison!

1) Drunk driving has been statistically and empirically identified as a risk to life and limb that is clearly significant and high in magnitude.

2) The "risks of homosexual behavior" that you will try to point towards in actuality represent a difference (compared to heterosexual behavior) that is several hundred fold smaller than the risk difference associated with being male (compared to female).

3) It is a vile practice when oppressors try to paint biologically based minority with negative attributes that by enlarge are created by the bigoted sentiments being demonstrated. Any aspersion you care to cast at gay persons is present in a minority of gay persons, yet you will claim that it is fair to judge all homosexuals that way.

You and others like you are worthy of great shame, but humility is a trait that many self important religious types unfortunately and mysteriously lack.

Zeus

BANNED
Banned
I am willing to tolerate the religious musings of others with grace. I do expect in return tolerance (but not acceptance) of differences in philosophy and sexual orientation.

Granite

Hall of Fame

...which no one's trying to deny you.

Granite

Hall of Fame
...and which I am not trying to deny to anyone else.
The Boy Scouts exist under "Articles of Consent". They may amend them or not as they see fit.

Exactly. And since there's no law being passed and no edict being threatened--in other words, since the Scouts must and either will or won't do this on their own--it seems to me the real ire should be directed at the Scouts, if folks are so upset with the situation, and not with the folks the Scouts are considering openly including.

Dialogos

So there is no variation amongst Christians as to what those absolute morals are, then?
For genuine Christians there is a significant amount of commonality because genuine Christians get their absolutes from the same source.

GCThomas said:
If there is disagreement as to what is and isn't moral amongst believers, then what determines those differences?
One or both of the is wrong if there are disagreements on matters of morality.

GCThomas said:
Aren't they a "merely a reflection of the direction that the cultural wind is blowing"?
No.

Dialogos

Uh, no. Not really. In fact, not at all. And if you're going to presume to know me and what I think then there's zero point in having a discussion. I have no use whatsoever for somebody who fancies themselves a mind reader. Hope that clears things up.
Having been a atheist for most of my life before pulling my head out of the sand (something I would recommend you do sometime, the view really is much better on this side), I think I have a pretty good idea as to how atheists view the world. No presumption required here.

Granite said:
I believe there are behaviors beneficial to the species's survival that have proved useful over time. We learned the value of altruism a long time ago, and for good reason. The constructs you're referring to just so happen to be altruistic. We've made it this far as a species because we (usually) choose to cooperate and work for our survival, recognizing the obvious benefits in such behavior.
You just couldn't be more wrong here. People aren't altruistic left to their own devices, if they were there would not be penal systems to enforce laws against "cooperating and working for our survival." The world is in a constant state of chaos most of the time. Just watch the 9:00 news, you probably hear 90% of the broadcast dedicated to military conflict, reports on crime and journalistic exposes of social injustice. Then you'll get the occasional token human interest story.

Our entire society is based on the presuposition that people are naturally inclined toward competing with one another for our survival (at the expense of others) and that laws need to be put in place to curb that inclination and force us to cooperate for our survival.

Furthermore the history of civilization tells us that some people will bond together in a social unit to cooperate with one another for the purpose of struggling with another social unit for dominance.

Finally, if survival of the species is the criterion we are using to evaluate the morality of any particular behavior. Homosexuality fails miserably in that analysis because the more homosexual behavior a society allows, the fewer offspring a society produces and the weaker that society becomes.

Granite said:
Complete and utter foolishness. Are you actually trying to tell me that atheists throughout history who risked shunning, banishment, torture, or death did so because they thought non-belief was popular?:rolleyes:
No, I am telling you there we idiots.

There is no rational point to having any convictions whatsoever if the atheists are right. What one believes is simply pointless phenomenology given an atheist paradigm.

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Having been a atheist for most of my life before pulling my head out of my *** (something I would recommend you do sometime, the view really is much better on this side), I think I have a pretty good idea as to how atheists view the world. No presumption required here.

Presumption's not required, but you're neck-deep in it. All you're really doing is assuming I'm on the same wavelength you were back during your days as an atheist.

You just couldn't be more wrong here. People aren't altruistic left to their own devices...

Wow. And I thought I was cynical. Are you heartsick or just bitter? And don't give me the old "just being realistic" song and dance.

...if they were there would not be penal systems to enforce laws against "cooperating and working for our survival."

Uh, what? Some people commit crimes, and this...what--leads you to believe what, exactly, about altruism?

The world is in a constant state of chaos most of the time. Just watch the 9:00 news, you probably hear 90% of the broadcast dedicated to military conflict, reports on crime and journalistic exposes of social injustice.

Ummm, okay. Fair enough. Yes, as a species we're often a mess.

Then you'll get the occasional token human interest story.

Heaven forbid we're ever reminded of the better angels of our nature.

Our entire society is based on the presuposition that people are naturally inclined toward competing with one another for our survival (at the expense of others) and that laws need to be put in place to curb that inclination and force us to cooperate for our survival.

Such laws are in place to prevent the sick, sociopathic, minority amongst us from abuses. On that we agree, but I think you go too far. I don't see the world through rose-tinted glasses but brother, you are one dour piece of work. Healthy competition is one thing, but when lines are crossed, we have checks and balances in place. If you actually think we'd literally and figuratively tear each other's throats out without a set of instructions, you're well beyond misanthropy. Cooperation was established (and still can be) without codified law. Survival almost always trumps other concerns.

Furthermore the history of civilization tells us that some people will bond together in a social unit to cooperate with one another for the purpose of struggling with another social unit for dominance.

Yes. Some will.

Finally, if survival of the species is the criterion we are using to evaluate the morality of any particular behavior.

I'm not so sure I would. This wouldn't apply in some cases.

Homosexuality fails miserably in that analysis because the more homosexual behavior a society allows, the fewer offspring a society produces and the weaker that society becomes.

Mere acceptance of homosexuality won't lead to lower birth rates--homosexual behavior is as old as time, and here we are. As for the "weaker" comment, I dismiss this as typical, bigoted boilerplate.

No, I am telling you there we idiots.

What a charming, well-read, well-informed analysis.:yawn:

There is no rational point to having any convictions whatsoever if the atheists are right.

Yes, there are, and there can be. My convictions don't necessarily stem from my disbelief in God--you're just accentuating the negative, perhaps based on your past. Not sure.

What one believes is simply pointless phenomenology given an atheist paradigm.

Again: define what you mean.