toldailytopic: What does it take to survive on TOL, and can you predict those who wil

Son of Jack

Only a fool would ignore what his enemies are posting, in my opinion.

The ignore feature in most cases is self-defeating.

What about in cases where the one you have been in disagreement with quits dialoguing and simply parades out the same old one-liners over and over again as if they were actual arguments? At what point do we shake the dust off our sandals?

rexlunae

toldailytopic: What does it take to survive on TOL, and can you predict those who will?

I think the biggest thing is to be able to walk away from a conversation frustrated, annoyed, perhaps even disappointed with your opponent and talk to them again in a different thread fresh without all that baggage. There are some exceptions, but the people you end up talking to a lot are gonna be from a small core set, and if you can get along with enough of them in the long run, you're probably ok.

Of course having a thick skin is often necessary too.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
What about in cases where the one you have been in disagreement with quits dialoguing and simply parades out the same old one-liners over and over again as if they were actual arguments? At what point do we shake the dust off our sandals?

In such a situation, I will often not have joined that particular conversation, either just reading it, or leaving it alone.
Sometimes it's just too wearying to compose another argument. Or maybe that's just me. :)

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I think the biggest thing is to be able to walk away from a conversation frustrated, annoyed, perhaps even disappointed with your opponent and talk to them again in a different thread fresh without all that baggage. There are some exceptions, but the people you end up talking to a lot are gonna be from a small core set, and if you can get along with enough of them in the long run, you're probably ok.

Of course having a thick skin is often necessary too.

would you agree that most of your kind do not last here?

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't think there's a formula for what it takes to survive. It's different, depending upon the user's intention with his time on the site. Someone who wants to always be actively engaged in a thread is going to have to have a thick skin, or else he won't last long. Someone who just wants to read and not participate much simply has to be someone who can stay interested.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My Top Twenty for Surviving on TOL, in no particular order:

1. Pay for a subscription every year or more ;)
2. Don’t take the bait—ignore those that continue to annoy and/or provoke you
3. Start your threads with descriptive titles
4. Don’t tug on Superman’s cape—respect the Admins/Mods
5. Review a thread before jumping in so you understand the topic and contexts
6. Do your homework and get to know your opponent—review their previous posts
7. Cast pearls wisely, as the entrenched are not worth much effort, 2 John 1:10-11
8. Quote posts accurately—forging quotes is dishonest and a sure sign of desperation
9. Learn how to post content and get familiar with BBcode
10. Engendering strife is not Biblical, Phil. 1:15; 2:3; 2 Tim. 2:22-26; James 3:14, 16
11. Offer correction Biblically, per Galatians 6:1; 1 Peter 3:15-16
12. Don’t make drive-by posts just to get noticed or increase post counts
13. No gamesmanship—if you have a point, make it—versus asking vague questions hoping for a “gotcha!”
14. Never draw first blood in a discussion—mud slung first is ground lost
15. Be a good steward of your gifts and time—not everyone deserves it and you are not obligated to give it unworthily, Romans 12:6-8, Ephesians 5:15-17; Psalm 90:12; Isaiah 49:4
16. This is a discussion site, not a blog—master the difference
17. Confrontation is not a bad thing (but see #10 and 11 above), Ezekiel 33:6; 2 John 1:7-8
18. Obey the rules and get to know the biases of the management
19. Keep your post on point and try to keep its length manageable
20. Before you act, pass the “glorify God” litmus test, Romans 11:36; 1 Corinthians 10:31; 2 Corinthians 10:5; Philippians 4:8

As to the second part of the question, I will just say that those that have not or won't survive, typically trip over not a few of the above.

Since it has been deleted in a recent database purge, here are my Top 10 ignorable behaviors:
Spoiler
These persons exhibit the following Top 10 ignorable behaviors:

1. lying in wait to ensnare with parlor trick questions, e.g., "Can God make a new flower?" instead of describing a rationale justifying the question
2. being flippant and uncivil without provocation
3. pandering to the hoi polloi to puff themselves up
4. making arguments personal without provocation
5. applying sweeping generalizations for dramatic effect knowing they are falsehoods
6. purposefully mis-quoting as a baiting tactic
7. frequently posting one-liners or assertions that add nothing to the discourse
8. drive-by posters that won't engage in the topic under discussion
9. thread starters that are just quotations of bible verses, poems, quotes, etc.
10. frequently asking questions already answered in the thread

To claim ignoring such persons is intellectual cowardice or social prejudice is akin to saying one enjoys wasting one's precious time and indulging fools gladly.

If you fit the descriptions above please feel free to add me to your own ignore list, for I will most certainly add you to mine.

UPDATE: The matter of formally adding members to one's ignore list...

http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...e-God-Unjust&p=4824542&viewfull=1#post4824542

AMR

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

Good psychology. People invested in a thing enjoy it more and feel more a part of it.

You're just saying that to get me going aren't you? :eek:

Personal favorite: This.

4. Don’t tug on Superman’s cape—respect theAdmins/Mods
I don't know. Some of the funniest threads have been attempts to upbraid the admin...not funny for the poster, of course, but if you want to make a homily you have to break a few threads...something like that.

Couldn't agree more, which is why I'll never support subsidies for ethanol.

Amen! You give those Calvinists what for AMT! :thumb:

7. Cast pearls wisely, as the entrenched are not worth much effort, 2 John 1:10-11
:think:...too late now. Though in my defense it's done wonders for a few smiles around here.

8. Be wary of AB.
:plain: what? Oh, all right, I know the way out.

:granite:

That said, a good list and better advice. I find humor, perspective and intelligence appear to help a few of you stay the course over time. For the rest of us it's all motor reflex and a strong sense of smell.

:thumb: Prego.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

4. Don’t tug on Superman’s cape—respect the Admins/Mods
8. Quote posts accurately—forging quotes is dishonest and a sure sign of desperation
9. Learn how to post content and get familiar with BBcode
10. Engendering strife is not Biblical, Phil. 1:15; 2:3; 2 Tim. 2:22-26; James 3:14, 16
11. Offer correction Biblically, per Galatians 6:1; 1 Peter 3:15-16
12. Don’t make drive-by posts just to get noticed or increase post counts
13. No gamesmanship—if you have a point, make it—versus asking vague questions hoping for a “gotcha!”
14. Never draw first blood in a discussion—mud slung first is ground lost
15. Be a good steward of your gifts and time—not everyone deserves it and you are not obligated to give it unworthily, Romans 12:6-8, Ephesians 5:15-17; Psalm 90:12; Isaiah 49:4
16. This is a discussion site, not a blog—master the difference
17. Confrontation is not a bad thing (but see #10 and 11 above), Ezekiel 33:6; 2 John 1:7-8
18. Obey the rules and get to know the biases of the management
19. Keep your post on point and try to keep its length manageable
20. Before you act, pass the “glorify God” litmus test, Romans 11:36; 1 Corinthians 10:31; 2 Corinthians 10:5; Philippians 4:8

As to the second part of the question, I will just say that those that have not or won't survive, typically trip over not a few of the above.

AMR
Whoa!!! Brilliant list!! :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

But you forgot one....

#21 Occasionally send Knight boxes of expensive cigars. :BiillyBob:

;)

Oh and by the way... POTD :first:

Last edited:

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 3rd, 2012 09:30 AM

toldailytopic: What does it take to survive on TOL, and can you predict those who will?

What it takes to survive on TOL are a thick skin, a decent (if not excellent) sense of humor, knowing what you believe and how to explain it, and knowing when to sit on your hands instead of immediately typing out a response to certain offensive posts.

As to predicting those who will survive, I'd say for sure that anyone who has been here as long as I have will more than likely survive. The newbies will come and go, either by banning or by leaving.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Also it helps if you don't advertise great deals on shoes or other sensible products. :plain: That's a pretty good short term shelf life indicator.