toldailytopic: What is the biggest hurdle you have had to overcome in your life?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 28th, 2013 05:00 AM

toldailytopic: What is the biggest hurdle you have had to overcome in your life?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Dyslexia. It affected my spelling, grammar and writing. I tended to write letters backwards. I was also hyperactive due to frustration with this. I was placed in special education classes as a kid. It still affects my typing to a degree which why I often have to fix my posts. I did compensate well enough that I was placed in the gifted program and advanced placement when I reached junior high school. I went on the get an Electronics degree and become an Avionics Technician in the Navy. Fortunately this handicap does not affect my musical ability in any way. Today I am a first violin in a symphony orchestra.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Having no willy can be a MASSIVE hurdle to overcome especially in the church, in many cases it is an advantage.

Lon

My sin nature. I failed, Jesus did not.
So if we are talking hurdles I've accomplished, there are some much less of a hurdle than this one. Thank be to Our Lord Jesus Christ.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 28th, 2013 05:00 AM

toldailytopic: What is the biggest hurdle you are overcoming in your life?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Bone Marrow Cancer. :D Had to adjust it, Knight. My apologies. :e4e:

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I have a choice of two that are standouts, so I'll list them both.

My dislike, sometimes even despising orientals, I had help with that, a very kind and understanding oriental lady helped me with getting over that hurdle, so that's history.

Smoking, 41 years worth, yes we know it's a habit, but it was also a hurdle that I had to get over. That was a one day deal, I said self you cannot do this anymore, and that was it, i was over the hurdle and never looked back, that was 11 years ago.

Still this is true: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13, sound application for all the hurdles we face in life even the biggest hurdle(s) (difficulty or obstacle) that we may face.

Last edited:

HisServant

Wife abandoning me and taking the kids (they came back though) and the ensuing divorce 6 years later.

She is a thousand miles away from her kids now (and grandkids) I wonder if she is ruing that decision now.

Then there was the 16 month episode of my father almost dieing multiple times when I was back in High School and the death of my only sibling (younger brother) 2 years later in a drunk driving accident (he was a passenger in the back seat).

I've been run through the meat grinder of life multiple times.

Dena

Physical and mental health issues ~ fibromyalgia (mine is considered a moderate to severe case), chronic fatigue, depression and obsessive compulsive disorder.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Physical and mental health issues ~ fibromyalgia (mine is considered a moderate to severe case), chronic fatigue, depression and obsessive compulsive disorder.
Right now I am having to deal with fibro too. Mine is mild because it is kept under control.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
All those posting in this thread, you're in my prayers in a special way. No one gets through life without a struggle, and reading of the things you're dealing with currently really puts a humanity to your screen names and reminds me that the disputes that go on here pale in comparison to what real life is all about. Sometimes that's easy to forget. God be with you all.

Thunder's Muse

Scoliosis .. a very painful medical condition, despite what the 'experts' say.
Sexual Abuse
Traumatic Bullying
Chronic Depression with suicidal obsession
Chronic Insomnia
Social Phobias
Chronic Anxiety
Body Dismorphia
Eating Disorder
Severe Disassociation
PTSD with unprocessed trauma
Alter Ego
Self Harming
Non-existant self confidence

keypurr

The loss of my Wife after 52 years of marriage
and the loss of my girl friend who pulled me out of the pit of sorrow.
Add constant spinal pain.
And old age problems.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I'm still working on it. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at the age of 28 which is pretty late to deal with; and having not known when I was younger is the root of many of the issues I've dealt with. I am still learning how to deal with it and what to do to straighten out the issues I don't like, but I fear that some of the things I do like about it could be lost in that pursuit.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
The aftermath of my wife's breast cancer treatments. I knew cancer would change our life, I never dreamed that those changes would be so profound.