toldailytopic: What is the meaning of life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The meaning of life, IMO, should be about loving and caring for your children, family, friends and fellowman in such a way that their lives are affected in a positive manner.

zoo22

I don't know. I don't expect to (but that won't stop me trying).

That said, I think that meanings of life develop for each person as they live their life.

In that regard, for me, I agree with Rusha: "loving and caring for your children, family, friends and fellowman in such a way that their lives are affected in a positive manner."

I'd add oneself to the list.

So many ways to do that. Seemingly so simple. Yet I think it's incredibly difficult to do. What a journey.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's kind of like you said earlier in one of your posts. A married couple can have a great relationship but they have children as a way of obtaining more loving relationships. And the fact that the children spring from the both of them even causes the couple's relationship to be stronger and more meaningful.
Well said. :up:

elohiym

I think we have to figure out the meaning of life for ourselves.

:duh: And when you finally have an opinion on that this thread will be dead.

Maybe you could just give us a sneak peek at what you've figured out so far? :idunno:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Since God is relational the meaning of life is the same meaning and purpose as you will find in a loving relationship between two humans. That is to increase the pleasure of the one you love. To think that we insignificant pieces of dust have the power to increase the pleasure of the Creator of the universe is too wonderful of an opportunity to pass up.

Why would God care that His pleasure is increased? God is personal just like we are. God wants His pleasure increased for the same reason you want your pleasure increased. Perfectly happy people get married to increase their pleasure in life. Perfectly happy couples have children to increase their pleasure in life. God was perfectly happy before He created the angels and man. But He, being personal like we are, was still capable of increasing His pleasure.

Only open theists are capable of experiencing the purpose of life this side of heaven because only open theists believe God can change including the change God experiences when His pleasure is increased.

Every day I wake up, my goal is to make sure God's pleasure is greater by the end of the day than it otherwise would be because of my actions.
Excellent! :up: I think you have something there.

God is loving, and relational therefore He created us to add to the love He desired. And He did this through new relationships (i.e., us).

nicholsmom

Since God is relational the meaning of life is the same meaning and purpose as you will find in a loving relationship between two humans.
That is so presumptuous, I keep looking around for a lightening stroke. Isaiah 55:9

To think that we insignificant pieces of dust have the power to increase the pleasure of the Creator of the universe is too wonderful of an opportunity to pass up.
And an impossibility. We can neither increase nor decrease the immutable Creator.

Perfectly happy people get married to increase their pleasure in life. Perfectly happy couples have children to increase their pleasure in life.
If you'd like to redefine "perfect" then fine. But I'll stick with the standard definition. We cannot be "perfectly happy" - that would mean that we could get no happier regardless of any alteration - including children.

I'll not go on. You have asked many people for their reaction to this particular post; that's why I made sure to read it instead of thinking "OT" and moving on. I was right, of course, and should not have bothered. I have a bad taste in my mouth now.

bybee

lIFE

lIFE

toldailytopic: What is the meaning of life?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
Life is a gift from God. The meaning of life is to live. Live abundantly! This can only be accomplished through the grace of God. Therefore, life seeks it's Creator. bybee

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If you'd like to redefine "perfect" then fine. But I'll stick with the standard definition. We cannot be "perfectly happy" - that would mean that we could get no happier regardless of any alteration - including children.
It's so weird that you think that.

There are literally millions of examples that prove you wrong.

Here are just a few...

- A perfect sphere could get bigger and still be perfect.
- A perfect clock is perfect because it is constantly changing

Living beings, and animate objects cannot be perfect without change. Anything that doesn't change is... well.... dead. :idunno:

However.... lets not get too far off topic ok guys? Little bunny trails are fun but if the bunny trail takes over, and the highway is abandon, we likely will discourage new posters from entering the thread.

Flipper

:duh: And when you finally have an opinion on that this thread will be dead.

Maybe you could just give us a sneak peek at what you've figured out so far? :idunno:

Har. Well I figure it's my duty to try to understand as much as I can about this big old universe, this planet we're on, and the fruits of human philosophy and cultural knowledge. An minute few configurations of atoms ever have the privilege of self-awareness, so I feel pushed to exercise that privilege to try and experience and learn as much about what is around me, where I stand in relation to the whole, and the fruits (good and bad) of self-awareness before I go back into the flux. Even better, I'm born at a time of unparalleled access to the sum of human knowledge.

It's a pretty good purpose, because it really only requires a library card and an Internet connection and it provides a never ending challenge. I also think that meditation provides a different experiential approach to this question, so I'm not even sure I'd need the library card and Internet connection if I was to reorder my priorities.

But if I was hit by a bus today, people could say with confidence that I died happy.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
I think that meanings of life develop for each person as they live their life.
You don't think God created you for a primary purpose? Do you actually think you can have a purpose different from the one God created you for?

Status
Not open for further replies.