toldailytopic: You are asked by a friend: How do I get to heaven? What answer will yo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 22nd, 2010 11:20 AM

toldailytopic: You are asked by a friend: How do I get to heaven? What answer will you give?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
My answer is simple....

I tell them:

All you need to do is tell God "I do".

Tell God that you know you need Him and that you know you want to be with Him in heaven for an eternity.

Tell Him that you trust that God sent His only Son Jesus to die on the cross to pay for your sins. Tell God that you trust that Jesus rose from the grave on the 3rd day just as you will rise and live with God in heaven for the rest of eternity.

- You don't need to go to church. (although it is great for fellowship)
- You don't need to follow any specific religion.
- You don't need to do any special tasks.
- You don't need to avoid any foods or drinks or holidays.

God isn't going to make you run an obstacle course.

All you need to do is live and enjoy the rest of your life knowing that you are on God's side and you are sealed under His loving arms for the rest of your life.

BabyChristian

Explore the Bible, open up your brain to the possibility and stop intellectualizing, like I used to do.

I thought I knew the Bible because I went to church as a kid but I was so wrong. I thought I was too smart to believe in such nonsense. I was so wrong once again.

It took a lot of pain for me to get humbled enough to stop thinking I was all that.

The more I read it, the more amazed I am by its supernatural messages and the integrity of its word.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm guessing B57's explanation would go something like....

"Well, ya better hope you're one of the ones, like me, who was chosen by God to go to heaven. If not then.... ha ha ha, :mock:

I'll bet your so jealous of me huh? Well, too bad! Sorry Charlie. :nananana:

Oh and not only are you not going to heaven but I'm going to mock and make fun of you because I was chosen and you weren't so.....

Enjoy the flames, ya loser!!! :wave2: :loser: "

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I sure hope none of you get asked the question. :(
STP and I were making jokes. Just be glad I didn't suggest they kill themselves. I actually thought about it. Because to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord, right?

But I realized that might be a little funny, but could be misunderstood without the inflection of my voice to give away I was joking.

I like your answer, by the way. I would tell them all they have to do is accept the truth as the truth.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
STP and I were making jokes. Just be glad I didn't suggest they kill themselves. I actually thought about it. Because to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord, right?

But I realized that might be a little funny, but could be misunderstood without the inflection of my voice to give away I was joking.
Of course I knew you were being sarcastic but it's likely many other folks wouldn't know you were being sarcastic.

I like your answer, by the way.
Thanks.
I would tell them all they have to do is accept the truth as the truth.
What if they responded... "what truth?"

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
1. Romans 10:9-10

2. Die.

3. Live.

(The last one is the easy part.)
Is that really how you would respond to the question???

If so, I'm glad it wasn't you I talked with when I asked the question. That answer wouldn't have made a bit of sense to me at that point in my life.

MrRadish

Agnostic as I am, I guess I'd just say that no course of action is discernably more or less likely to get them into Heaven, if such a location/state exists. Therefore, rather than worrying about sticking to some code or carrying out some ritual, work on making this life we have now as pleasant as possible for everybody to the best of one's ability. If the whole world were to take this attitude then it would certainly be a step toward creating if not a Paradise on Earth then certainly a much more pleasant state than we're in now.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm guessing B57's explanation would go something like....

"Well, ya better hope you're one of the ones, like me, who was chosen by God to go to heaven. If not then.... ha ha ha, :mock:

I'll bet your so jealous of me huh? Well, too bad! Sorry Charlie. :nananana:

Oh and not only are you not going to heaven but I'm going to mock and make fun of you because I was chosen and you weren't so.....

Enjoy the flames, ya loser!!! :wave2: :loser: "
POTD :first:

The Graphite

Is that really how you would respond to the question???

If so, I'm glad it wasn't you I talked with when I asked the question. That answer wouldn't have made a bit of sense to me at that point in my life.

It's a guideline. The actual conversation would take any of a hundred different forms, depending on the person. Did you want a script of a whole conversation? Where is this person at, in their life? Is this an apathetic college student loser on pot? A 40-year-old business man who thinks the wife, family, kids, house, car, career are what it's all about? Is this an elitist intellectual who believes in humanistic fairy tales like evolution? Or a hard-hearted Jew who can barely stand to hear the name Jesus? A Mormon? A Muslim?

My actual words would vary tremendously depending on the person. But the framework is always the same. The simplicity of Paul's gospel, and the rest is inevitable.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
GMCRF or JESUS. One can keep this very simple, and all points are not always needed depending on the background of the individual. The expansion below is to support the theory of these points, not as something necessary to indoctrinate people with. Romans Road, for e.g. can give sufficient verses to bring people to decision at Rom. 10:9-10 (cf. Jn. 3:16).

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59976

Posts 1,3,6

GOD: Believing in God is not enough because most North Americans believe in God but are not regenerate. Satan also believes in God (James 2), trembles, but is not saved. With some many false gods around, people need to understand basics about the one true God (greater understanding comes after we are saved). There is a difference between YHWH and Allah, for e.g. Some understand God's love, while others do not understand His holiness (character, attributes). In light of the rise of the new atheism, we cannot even assume people are not atheists. No use talking about sin and Savior if they do not even believe in a personal God of any kind. Heb. 11:6; Gen. 1:1

MAN: We contrast the perfection of God with the sinfulness of man. Too many have a new age concept of man or a humanistic version of the supposed goodness of man. The law/Word and the Spirit bring conviction that man is a sinner by choice, relationally separated from the holiness of God. Man cannot save himself or add anything to Christ's work. Man does have free will to receive or reject Christ. Rom. 3:23; Rom. 6:23; Rom. 10:9-10; Jn. 3:16 vs Jn. 3:36

CHRIST: In light of pseudo-cults like JWs and Mormons (Knight's outline is good, but could also be used by Mormons to get people into their cult since they use our semantics), people need to know that Jesus is God Almighty in the flesh (Jn. 1; Phil. 2), not a mere man, created angel, one of many gods, etc. Trusting a counterfeit Christ or false Messiah is worthless (2 Cor. 11:4). He is the Lamb of God (Jn. 1:29), King of kings, Lord of lords, mighty risen Savior (I Cor. 15 Paul makes affirmation of His bodily resurrection core to the gospel). So, Jesus is God, Lord, Savior, risen from the dead. He alone can bridge the gap between God and man and reconcile us to Him.

REPENTANT FAITH/Repentance Faith: We are willing to turn from sin, false gods, Self to Jesus as God alone. We receive the person and work of Christ, His grace, by faith (we cease the rebellion and denial of God's right to rule our lives). Works, self-righteousness, x,y,z are not necessary. Saving faith will be persisted in, not renounced (apostasy, falling away is possible vs OSAS, but He is able to keep us from falling Jude 24-25; I Jn. 5:11-13; therefore, continuance in the faith is a condition, the only true type of faith in the end vs one that ceases and renounces reverting to unbelief). Eph. 2:8-10; Jn. 1:12; Titus 3:5.

How do you get to heaven? Faith in the Lord Jesus/Knowing Jesus (I Cor. 15:1-4; Jn. 17:3), nothing more or less. 'Follow me'. We can add all the negatives as insufficient to get one there: believing in a generic 'God' (Jn. 14:6; Acts 4:12; Jn. 3:16), going to church, cleaning up one's own life to be good, being religious without relationship with God, joining a special sect or cult or religion, doing our best, not hurting anyone, etc.

Once one is saved, it is normative to grow in the grace and knowledge of Christ (character). This growth can be helped/evidenced by spiritual disciplines such as prayer, worship, Bible study/meditation/obedience, church fellowship, discipleship-evangelism, etc.

How to preach the gospel (Finney quote):

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1088844&postcount=1

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Agnostic as I am, I guess I'd just say that no course of action is discernably more or less likely to get them into Heaven, if such a location/state exists. Therefore, rather than worrying about sticking to some code or carrying out some ritual, work on making this life we have now as pleasant as possible for everybody to the best of one's ability. If the whole world were to take this attitude then it would certainly be a step toward creating if not a Paradise on Earth then certainly a much more pleasant state than we're in now.
That's very likely the same thing this person already believes, therefore you aren't offering them anything.

Pouring one empty glass into another empty glass... leaves both glasses empty.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
GMCRF or JESUS. One can keep this very simple, and all points are not always needed depending on the background of the individual. The expansion below is to support the theory of these points, not as something necessary to indoctrinate people with. Romans Road, for e.g. can give sufficient verses to bring people to decision at Rom. 10:9-10 (cf. Jn. 3:16).

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59976

Posts 1,3,6

GOD: Believing in God is not enough because most North Americans believe in God but are not regenerate. Satan also believes in God (James 2), trembles, but is not saved. With some many false gods around, people need to understand basics about the one true God (greater understanding comes after we are saved). There is a difference between YHWH and Allah, for e.g. Some understand God's love, while others do not understand His holiness (character, attributes). In light of the rise of the new atheism, we cannot even assume people are not atheists. No use talking about sin and Savior if they do not even believe in a personal God of any kind. Heb. 11:6; Gen. 1:1

MAN: We contrast the perfection of God with the sinfulness of man. Too many have a new age concept of man or a humanistic version of the supposed goodness of man. The law/Word and the Spirit bring conviction that man is a sinner by choice, relationally separated from the holiness of God. Man cannot save himself or add anything to Christ's work. Man does have free will to receive or reject Christ. Rom. 3:23; Rom. 6:23; Rom. 10:9-10; Jn. 3:16 vs Jn. 3:36

CHRIST: In light of pseudo-cults like JWs and Mormons (Knight's outline is good, but could also be used by Mormons to get people into their cult since they use our semantics), people need to know that Jesus is God Almighty in the flesh (Jn. 1; Phil. 2), not a mere man, created angel, one of many gods, etc. Trusting a counterfeit Christ or false Messiah is worthless (2 Cor. 11:4). He is the Lamb of God (Jn. 1:29), King of kings, Lord of lords, mighty risen Savior (I Cor. 15 Paul makes affirmation of His bodily resurrection core to the gospel). So, Jesus is God, Lord, Savior, risen from the dead. He alone can bridge the gap between God and man and reconcile us to Him.

Repentant-Faith/Repentance Faith: We are willing to turn from sin, false gods, Self to Jesus as God alone. We receive the person and work of Christ, His grace, by faith (we cease the rebellion and denial of God's right to rule our lives). Works, self-righteousness, x,y,z are not necessary. Saving faith will be persisted in, not renounced (apostasy, falling away is possible vs OSAS, but He is able to keep us from falling Jude 24-25; I Jn. 5:11-13). Eph. 2:8-10; Jn. 1:12; Titus 3:5.

How do you get to heaven? Faith in the Lord Jesus/Knowing Jesus (I Cor. 15:1-4; Jn. 17:3), nothing more or less. 'Follow me'. We can add all the negatives as insufficient to get one there: believing in a generic 'God' (Jn. 14:6; Acts 4:12; Jn. 3:16), going to church, cleaning up one's own life to be good, being religious without relationship with God, joining a special sect or cult or religion, doing our best, not hurting anyone, etc.

Once one is saved, it is normative to grow in the grace and knowledge of Christ (character). This growth can be helped/evidenced by spiritual disciplines such as prayer, worship, Bible study/meditation/obedience, church fellowship, discipleship-evangelism, etc.

How to preach the gospel (Finney quote):

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1088844&postcount=1
Uh... I would be long asleep by the time you reached your third paragraph. :yawn: :sleep:

Status
Not open for further replies.