United Methodists Propose to Change ‘Church Law’ to Allow Homosexual Behavior

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
United Methodists Propose to Change ‘Church Law’ to Allow Homosexual Behavior

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — A panel within the leadership of the United Methodist Church has voted to submit a proposal to change the denomination’s law book to remove prohibitions against homosexual behavior and to allow clergy to officiate same-sex ceremonies.

The Connectional Table voted 26-10 on Monday to present the amended language during the 2016 General Conference, which would then place the matter up for another vote for official approval.

The adjustments would allow those who are open and practicing homosexuals to serve as clergy, and would remove any mention of homosexual behavior as being a violation of biblical laws or being “incompatible with Christian teachings.” Language would also be removed that prohibited clergy from officiating over same-sex ceremonies.

According to the United Methodist Reporter, the proposal serves as a “third way” and compromise over the differing opinions surrounding homosexual behavior, and would put an end to any church trials over the matter.

As previously reported, Pennsylvania minister Frank Schaeffer was defrocked in 2013 after he officiated a ceremony between his son and his son’s partner, and refused to agree not to “wed” homosexuals again since he has other children who identify as homosexual.

He was later reinstated as a council ruled that he should not have been stripped of his credentials solely because he refused to repent, and noted that the written penalty did not warn Schaefer that he would be defrocked for doing so.

“Our hope is that [the Table’s proposal] will provide an alternative for the General Conference to consider that helps strengthen the unity of the church and allows us to move forward together as a denomination so that we can focus on our mission,” said Table Chair Bishop Bruce Ough.

But some have expressed concern over the new proposal, stating that it weakens the standards of righteousness that pastors are meant to exemplify and uphold.

“If we’re going to condone the practice of homosexuality, what’s stopping us from allowing pastors to commit adultery without rebuke? Why not let drunken revilers lead kids church? Why not give greedy thieves and extortioners the responsibility for church finances?” asked Jennifer Leclaire of Charisma Magazine.

“The point is, practicing homosexuality is not the only sin the Bible calls out in this verse, as so many gay rights activists like to stress. So why does the sinful practice of homosexuality, then, get special protection?” she said.

Leclaire opined that if even just one sin is accepted among congregations, there’s no telling where it will lead.

“If we’re going to let our pastors engage in homosexuality at will, condone it and have the audacity to declare that it doesn’t contradict God’s will, what’s preventing us from throwing the Ten Commandments out of the window?” she asked. “Always keep in mind, a little leaven leavens the whole lump.”

“Pastors are supposed to ‘teach God’s people the difference between the holy and profane, and cause them to discern between the unclean and the clean’ (Ezek. 44:23). Instead, far too many are calling evil good and good evil and exchanging darkness for light and light for darkness (Is. 5:20),” Leclaire noted. “We can’t just stand by and point fingers of disdain and watch. Join me in crying out that a wave of repentance will sweep the church—and the nation.”

Another church group caving to the world instead of following God.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edit: Will be adding churches and church groups and pastors who cave on this issue - if you know of any, please add them to this thread.

Just added: - see this post in this thread: T.D. Jakes Comes Out for ‘Gay Rights’ and ‘LGBT Churches,’ Says Position is ‘Evolving’ http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4411589&postcount=89

Last edited:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Church of England to consider 'transgender baptism' service

A "transgender baptism" service is to be considered by the Church of England for the first time.

The idea is to bless into God's family the new identities of Christians who have undergone gender transition.

The proposal was welcomed by the Church's most senior trans priest. Rev Rachel Mann, Rector of St Nicholas Burnage and a minor canon at Manchester Cathedral, told Christian Today: "Trans people feel powerfully called to be recognised in their 'chosen' name. An opportunity to be publicly introduced to God is therefore significant. I think this is what the proposed liturgy aims to do. It will be symbolically powerful. The extent to which it is [a form of] baptism will be debated by General Synod of course, but this liturgy is a welcome move to affirm Trans people."

There is no guarantee the proposal will succeed. It is in the form of a diocesan motion to the General Synod and needs to wait its turn to get debated on the floor. But it is certain to generate contention in a Church still struggling with its position on sexuality.

Rev Chris Newlands, vicar of Lancaster Priory, called for the change after he was approached by a young transgender person born a girl but transitioned to a boy seeking to be "re-baptised", the Guardian reports today. The vicar had at first thought the rule of one baptism sufficed, but changed his mind after discussing issues of identity with the young man.

He created a new service to affirm the original baptismal vows of the individual who was "introduced" to God with his new name and identity.

The motion, passed by Blackburn Diocese last month, states: "That this Synod, recognising the need for transgender people to be welcomed and affirmed in their parish church, call on the House of Bishops to consider whether some nationally commended liturgical materials might be prepared to mark a person's gender transition." ...
... read more at link

And another one - changing their church into the world.

musterion

So will almost every other Prot denomination before too awful long. Then the Mormons will follow suit, just to keep appearing to "fit in." I expect the Rome will get there before all the protties go over, though. Since even professing Bible believers are fading, they all need to start competing for them new demographics...queers, trannies, people who dress up like animals (I expect we'll live to see a service especially for them, with the "minister" dressed like a skunk), etc..........

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
So is transgender a mental problem or a physical problem?

Someone said, "And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness." (Romans 8:10 NKJV)

If Paul is right about the body being dead then what is the problem with corrective surgery? In other words, God is after our mind not our body.

Paul also said, "For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit." (Romans 8:5 NKJV)

Does God care about the things of the flesh or does he care about living according to the Spirit?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
So is transgender a mental problem or a physical problem?

Irrelevant. This thread is about churches caving on what God has said is ok verses what the world says is ok. Please make a thread yourself if you wish to discuss the nature of transgenderism.

Granite

Hall of Fame
When even the Catholics in Ireland realize they need to change their tune you realize it's over except for the mopping up operations.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
So will almost every other Prot denomination before too awful long. Then the Mormons will follow suit, just to keep appearing to "fit in." I expect the Rome will get there before all the protties go over, though. Since even professing Bible believers are fading, they all need to start competing for them new demographics...queers, trannies, people who dress up like animals (I expect we'll live to see a service especially for them, with the "minister" dressed like a skunk), etc..........

I cant see the southern baptists ever caving on this issue.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Well the Irish people are the ones you should be really annoyed with given recent news but yes, when the church there realizes how out of touch it is, it signals a bit of a wake up call.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Well the Irish people are the ones you should be really annoyed with given recent news but yes, when the church there realizes how out of touch it is, it signals a bit of a wake up call.

Why should i be annoyed that cafeteria christians, are eating something else unhealthy off the buffet they pick and choose from themselves?

Ive known a long long time that most Catholics don't really believe what they say they do. Most (not all) "i used to be a christian" turned atheist are ex catholics from all those ive known.

By far that's the largest group of "ex-Christians" that Ive met. They say once they actually read the bible, they see it doesn't match what their church teaches. A great many catholic doesn't practice it either except on holidays, their "Christianity" is more "tradition" or infant baptism, but has nothing to do with actual faith.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
What you don't seem to realize is that churches are people. I'm just not as judgmental about people as you are.

Please stop with the lame attempts to hijack the topic, this thread is clearly about church groups/denominations (you know that too which is why you cut off the quote) Make your own thread.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Why should i be annoyed that cafeteria christians, are eating something else unhealthy off the buffet they pick and choose from themselves?

Say that to an Irishman's face, I dare ya.:chuckle:

Ive known a long long time that most Catholics don't really believe what they say they do. Most (not all) "i used to be a christian" turned atheist are ex catholics from all those ive known.

My experience differs but then again we probably swam in different streams.

About 83% of Ireland identifies as Catholic. Nice that you're willing to dismiss most of an entire country as indifferent and or milquetoast about their faith when it's likelier they decided to simply disagree on one issue--says nothing about how devout they are, really.

My people are northern Protestants, so maybe it's no skin off my nose.:cheers:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Please stop with the lame attempts to hijack the topic, this thread is clearly about church groups/denominations (you know that too which is why you cut off the quote) Make your own thread.

You're the one who brought up the subject with regard to baptism. I just responded to what you posted and you don't have to be so defensive.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
How is it a compromise? Looks like the pro-gay side got everything they would want. :idunno:

musterion

I cant see the southern baptists ever caving on this issue.

Once upon a time I'd have agreed. They may take longer than the rest but with big baptists like Warren holding hands with Catholics, Oprah and Elton the sodomite, it'll happen. There may be a split before its over but it'll happen.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Is bigotry and prejudice acceptable toward people outside our faith?

We all realize homosexuals will not enter the kingdom of God at Jesus' coming to establish his kingdom on earth. So does that mean we should denigrate them and express contempt for them? Is that what Jesus meant by loving your neighbor?

Ok, Angel I'm ready for your next neg rep, fire away.