United Methodists Propose to Change ‘Church Law’ to Allow Homosexual Behavior

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The only unrepentant sinners that Jesus ate with were the Pharisees.

Actually, it was the Pharisees who complained.

And when the scribes and Pharisees saw Him eating with the tax collectors and sinners, they said to His disciples, “How is it that He eats and drinks with tax collectors and sinners?” (Mark 2:16 NKJV)​

Not all sinners in Jesus' day were Pharisees.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Do you have anything to say about the actual topic yet or do you intend to continue to troll?

Everything I posted is about the Methodists or anyone else not discriminating. If a congregation discriminates against one group of people where does it stop?

The problem as I see it is your unwillingness to dialogue.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Ok, I probably should never have said anything. It should be obvious to everyone that I don't know much about this Bible stuff.

And that's okay, patience is an aspect of God's Spirit. But then so is gentleness. I don't give neg reps because I don't consider that as being gentle.

But then I don't know much about Bible stuff and you guys have not helped me learn.

What I'm hearing is that we should love our neighbor unless we can find some excuse for not doing so.

:wave:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I notice that everyone quotes the OT against homosexuality. Why not quote what Jesus said about it?

Jesus said if a man cannot handle marriage between a man and a woman as He created it, then they are to remain celibate - see matthew chapter 19.

Marriage - its purpose and definition was made clear.

genuineoriginal

I am speaking against bigotry and prejudice.
No, you are not, you just have been fooled into believing that you are.

You are speaking against condemnation of unrepentant sin.

If a man is having sex with his father's wife, Paul's condemnation of him for his unrepentant sin is not bigotry and prejudice.
There is no respect of persons with God.
He will judge all, whether they are rich or poor, for their sins with the same standard that He wrote into His Law and gave to Moses.

genuineoriginal

I notice that everyone quotes the OT against homosexuality. Why not quote what Jesus said about it?
Okay.

Matthew 5:18-19
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.​

genuineoriginal

Ok, I probably should never have said anything. It should be obvious to everyone that I don't know much about this Bible stuff.

And that's okay, patience is an aspect of God's Spirit. But then so is gentleness. I don't give neg reps because I don't consider that as being gentle.

But then I don't know much about Bible stuff and you guys have not helped me learn.

What I'm hearing is that we should love our neighbor unless we can find some excuse for not doing so.

:wave:
Read the first of these verses.

Leviticus 19:17-18
17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.
18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the Lord.​

Not condemning the sin of homosexuality is hating the homosexual straight to hell, whether you call it non-discrimination, anti-bigotry, or some other term.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
No, you are not, you just have been fooled into believing that you are.

You are speaking against condemnation of unrepentant sin.

If a man is having sex with his father's wife, Paul's condemnation of him for his unrepentant sin is not bigotry and prejudice.
There is no respect of persons with God.
He will judge all, whether they are rich or poor, for their sins with the same standard that He wrote into His Law and gave to Moses.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

Paul wrote, "In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when you are gathered together, along with my spirit with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus."
(1 Corinthians 5:4-5 NKJV)

This man was part of the Corinthian congregation.

The Methodist organization decided not to discriminate against a certain group of people who were not members of the Methodist organization.

Two totally different scenarios.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Read the first of these verses.

Leviticus 19:17-18
17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.
18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the Lord.​

Do you adhere to everything in the obsolete Law of Moses?

The Mosaic law had a different priesthood than the NT congregations of God. The Hebrews' priesthood descended from Aaron of the tribe of Levi. Jesus didn't.

Granite

Hall of Fame
The unrepentant sinners that Jesus ate with were Pharisees.

Oh, really. Each and every time?

Not much of a scriptural case can be made for this ridiculous claim at all.

One or perhaps two Pharisees invited him to supper. Usually the carpenter was found with the very "sinners" the Pharisees sneered at. Some things never change.

genuineoriginal

You're comparing apples and oranges.

Paul wrote, "In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when you are gathered together, along with my spirit with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus."
(1 Corinthians 5:4-5 NKJV)

This man was part of the Corinthian congregation.

The Methodist organization decided not to discriminate against a certain group of people who were not members of the Methodist organization.

Two totally different scenarios.
From the article in the OP:
"The adjustments would allow those who are open and practicing homosexuals to serve as clergy, and would remove any mention of homosexual behavior as being a violation of biblical laws or being “incompatible with Christian teachings.” Language would also be removed that prohibited clergy from officiating over same-sex ceremonies."

Based on this, it appears that the Methodist organization is actively celebrating that they have members that are acting in complete violation of God's Law, they are even making those unrepentant sinners the clergy of the Methodist organization.

It appears that the Corinthians were no where near as corrupt as the Methodists are today.

genuineoriginal

Oh, really. Each and every time?

Not much of a scriptural case can be made for this ridiculous claim at all.

One or perhaps two Pharisees invited him to supper. Usually the carpenter was found with the very "sinners" the Pharisees sneered at. Some things never change.

The sinners that the Pharisees sneered at repented of their sins, according to the text.
The Pharisees were unrepentant sinners.

Big difference.

Granite

Hall of Fame
The sinners that the Pharisees sneered at repented of their sins, according to the text.
The Pharisees were unrepentant sinners.

Big difference.

"The unrepentant sinners that Jesus ate with were Pharisees" has little or no scriptural basis at all--there are one, maybe two exceptions. You got this wrong. Own it and move on.