Why is sex and sexual orientation so public?

jzeidler

Question of the day:

Why is sex and sexual orientation so public? Honestly no one cares who/what you are having sex with, no one wants to know nor do they care.

But why does the LGBT group force straight people to hear and condone who they have sex with? Why should we care LGBT? Why do you need our acceptance in order for you to feel good about who you are having sex with? Cant you just be like the rest of us and be committed to someone and keep your sex life between you and that person?

Now I know that I am generalizing but generally this is how the group acts and what their culture pushes on ours. There are some really amazing gay people that I know and work with and I have high respect for them because they do not push their sexuality on anyone and demand they accept it. They are who they are and they are ok with that.

Many gay people are great, but most push their gayness on others and I want to know why something so private as someone's sex life is being pushed on us straight people and we are demanded to accept it? Why do they need the acceptance of straight people in order to feel like what they do is fine?

Quetzal

Question of the day:

Why is sex and sexual orientation so public? Honestly no one cares who/what you are having sex with, no one wants to know nor do they care.

But why does the LGBT group force straight people to hear and condone who they have sex with? Why should we care LGBT? Why do you need our acceptance in order for you to feel good about who you are having sex with? Cant you just be like the rest of us and be committed to someone and keep your sex life between you and that person?

Now I know that I am generalizing but generally this is how the group acts and what their culture pushes on ours. There are some really amazing gay people that I know and work with and I have high respect for them because they do not push their sexuality on anyone and demand they accept it. They are who they are and they are ok with that.

Many gay people are great, but most push their gayness on others and I want to know why something so private as someone's sex life is being pushed on us straight people and we are demanded to accept it? Why do they need the acceptance of straight people in order to feel like what they do is fine?
Ah, the "gays push their gayness on me" routine. Look. I would be willing to put dollars on the table that says a majority of homosexuals are quietly living their lives without the need of your approval. In fact, the only reason you are relevant at all is because political interests groups that represent the same values you have, didn't want them to get married. That's it. I was hoping after the supreme court ruling these type of discussions would just go away.

alwight

I rather think gay people do not particularly seek acceptance, they seek the tolerance of straight people, which is sadly all too lacking in the homophobic bigotry often displayed instead.

bybee

Question of the day:

Well said! One's sex life is nobody's business.

bybee

I rather think gay people do not particularly seek acceptance, they seek the tolerance of straight people, which is sadly all too lacking in the homophobic bigotry often displayed instead.

To disapprove of an activity is not necessarily a phobia.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Question of the day:

God cares, and He told man to legislate righteously to promote traditional family values (marriage) and to deter sexual perversion (homosexuality).

bybee

Then let's make sure nobody but nobody's allowed PDAs or even weddings or Valentine's Day baubles. We straights shouldn't be pushing our sex lives on anyone.

I repeat, one's sex life is private. I do not wish to be treated to a public display of the sexual activities of anyone.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I repeat, one's sex life is private. I do not wish to be treated to a public display of the sexual activities of anyone.

Well unless you live on Hedonism Island, or something, I have no real idea what you're talking about. Is hand holding or necking "sexual activity," in your book? What about cuddling?

bybee

Well unless you live on Hedonism Island, or something, I have no real idea what you're talking about. Is hand holding or necking "sexual activity," in your book? What about cuddling?

You simply cannot avoid taking the simple comments of others to the uttermost extremes?
You are a very bright person and you do get the gist of what I'm saying?
Blatant, overt, gonadally sexual behavior in public is unseemly.
Naturally, you understand, that is just me?
It appears that you often have no idea what others are talking about? :p

PureX

Question of the day:

I'm curious how you imagine that LGBT people are seeking your acceptance, or pushing their culture on you. Because I'm not seeing this happening, anywhere.

In Chicago, the Irish people have a parade every year, and the Italians and the polish and the Germans each have their parades and festivals every year. Mexicans and Puerto Ricans, too. And I've never seen the Irish, Italians, Poles, Germans, Mexicans or Puerto Ricans being accused of seeking anyone's approval, or of pushing their culture on everyone else. It was always assumed by everyone else that they were just celebrating their own heritage. So I can't think of any reason why we should not assume that the gay pride parade has any different motive than all these others.

And apart from the parade, LGBT social actions have been entirely related to enforcing equal rights that should be guaranteed to them by the Constitution and the courts. Which was never about seeking anyone's approval or pushing their culture on others, it was simply about being treated fairly and equally.

So I don't see how or where you're experiencing this need on the part of LGBTs for your validation, or this alternate lifestyle promotion. I honestly don't.

Granite

Hall of Fame
You simply cannot avoid taking the simple comments of others to the uttermost extremes?

Maybe because what you think is "simple" just isn't.

Blatant, overt, gonadally sexual behavior in public is unseemly.

Okay...I'll take a guess you're complaining (again, as you guys do all the time) about pride parades. Is that it? Seriously?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Question of the day:

i know what you mean and i've commented on it before with similar wonderment. maybe it's the media coverage, the attention and the shock value it creates but it's insane.

do we have heterosexual parties for the sole purpose of celebrating being straight ? maybe some festivals would be compared that way, but the answer is no. do we make a point to tell people and SHOW people what our sexual preference is ? no. i don't get it, they should keep it to themselves; it's called discretion -

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Question of the day:

Because we are sexual human beings.

The first thing that comes to our minds when we dimly glimpse a figure in the distance is are they male or female?

Gender, like it or not, is a necessary category of human life.

Buzzword

Question of the day:

Do some research

The fact that you and too many others treat x-orientation as "normal" and anything not-x-orientation as "abnormal" is the bare bones of the problem, and why you think a still-oppressed group of people are "pushing their culture" on you.

THERE IS NO "GAY CULTURE," first and foremost.
Gay people come from just as large a variety of cultural backgrounds as anyone else anywhere on the sexual orientation spectrum.
A culture of protection from discrimination, from having ones supposedly God-given rights taken away, from prejudice, from unequal treatment under the law, etc. is not a gay culture, it is the AMERICAN culture.

As long as there are still laws on the books which allow for businesses and persons to discriminate based on sexual orientation, then sexual orientation will still be at the forefront of the national discussion.

And this doesn't even get into the push by many people across all sexualities in my generation to end the age-old, irrational treatment of sexuality as some kind of dirty, taboo thing to keep locked down until/unless you're making babies.

For too many CENTURIES, human sexuality has been demonized (especially by religious groups treating it as a result of "the Fall"), and all expression of it strictly controlled or outright banned, whether by law in public or by shame in private.

In an age of unlimited information, there is ZERO reason to continue treating this everpresent facet of human existence as if it were a rotting branch grafted onto a perfectly spiritual tree against our will.

We're going to keep talking about it because the conversation is long overdue, and because our parents and grandparents weren't allowed to take part and try to keep us from doing so.

bybee

Do some research

The fact that you and too many others treat x-orientation as "normal" and anything not-x-orientation as "abnormal" is the bare bones of the problem, and why you think a still-oppressed group of people are "pushing their culture" on you.

THERE IS NO "GAY CULTURE," first and foremost.
Gay people come from just as large a variety of cultural backgrounds as anyone else anywhere on the sexual orientation spectrum.
A culture of protection from discrimination, from having ones supposedly God-given rights taken away, from prejudice, from unequal treatment under the law, etc. is not a gay culture, it is the AMERICAN culture.

As long as there are still laws on the books which allow for businesses and persons to discriminate based on sexual orientation, then sexual orientation will still be at the forefront of the national discussion.

And this doesn't even get into the push by many people across all sexualities in my generation to end the age-old, irrational treatment of sexuality as some kind of dirty, taboo thing to keep locked down until/unless you're making babies.

For too many CENTURIES, human sexuality has been demonized (especially by religious groups treating it as a result of "the Fall"), and all expression of it strictly controlled or outright banned, whether by law in public or by shame in private.

In an age of unlimited information, there is ZERO reason to continue treating this everpresent facet of human existence as if it were a rotting branch grafted onto a perfectly spiritual tree against our will.

We're going to keep talking about it because the conversation is long overdue, and because our parents and grandparents weren't allowed to take part and try to keep us from doing so.

Visit New Orleans during Mardi Gras....