Atheists believe....?

commonsense

There are two different types of atheists:

a) one who is indifferent about the existence or nonexistence of God

b) one who has a visible and progressive stance against the notion of the existence of God

Crucible is close on point a) but even moreso...you can't be indifferent about something you don't even consider

b) extremists

commonsense

Another peanut gallery comment: :idunno: Formatting problem or thread comment?

I think I can help, I'll edit after I pop it up:

Simply calling something goat-herd fables doesn't make them less valuable. We still have Aesop's Fables and value them. Fiction? Well, we still use the OT for archeology. Regardless of how incredulous you find it, you must necessarily find it partially credulous. You'll not say that with the BoM or other religious literature. Even I recognize the Quran has factual information. You cannot uncritically pass the Quran off as a work of fiction. It is not. I may not be true (taking an agnostic position momentarily) but it isn't fiction. We actually find it in the nonfiction section of a Library. Leprechauns? :nono: Fsm? Not really in the library which should reveal something to problematic atheistic connection.

6days

ATHEISTS GET MAD AT GOD :)

ATHEISTS GET MAD AT GOD :)

About 3 or 4 years ago a survey was done at a university (I can try find it if anyone wants).... An interesting thing was that some who proclaimed to be atheists gave reasons why they were mad at God.

Along that same line.... Last Christmas, I posted this 'Joke' which contains some truth.

Christmas music was playing in the mall. An atheist along with his daughter were walking through the mall when an old woman handed him a piece of paper about God. The atheist turned to the old woman and said, "Keep your god to yourself. I'm tired of people trying to stuff god down my throat".

As the man and his daughter continued walking they passed by Santa Clause passing out treats to kids. The daughter said, "Dad... are you going to get mad at Santa?"

The dad laughed saying "No Sweetie. I'm not going to get mad at Santa"

After pondering things for a moment the girl asked, "Dad... Well, how come you seem to get mad at God, but not Santa?"

The father looked down at his daughter and gently explained "Because Santa isn't real"

PureX

Which statement is most true?
1. Atheism is a belief in the non-existence of God. (And generally, they believe that life came from non life)

2. Atheists don't have to and usually don't believe when they don't know the fact.*
3. Atheists believe that whatever you believe is wrong.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Which statement is most true?
1. Atheism is a belief in the non-existence of God. (And generally, they believe that life came from non life)

2. Atheists don't have to and usually don't believe when they don't know the fact.*

Neither.

It is certain that every man that does not love God, denies God.

The atheist persuades himself there is no God, and stifles the seeds of knowing there is God in his reason and conscience, such that he might have the greatest liberty to entertain the allurements of the flesh.

The folly of atheism is evidenced by the light of reason. Men that will not listen to Scripture, as having no counterpart of it in their souls, cannot easily deny natural reason, which rises up on all sides for the justification of this truth. There is a natural as well as a revealed knowledge, and the book of the creatures—that is, the first book of creation all around us—is legible in declaring the being of a God to the natural man, as well as the Scriptures—the second book—are in declaring the nature of a God. There are outward objects in the world, and common principles in the conscience, whence from the existence of God may be inferred.

Accordingly...

Atheism is a belief system that wishes there is no Triune God.

AMR

Reactions: Lon

musterion

All forms of atheism, boiled down, are active beliefs that there is no God.

Some atheists, like the New, are blunt about this. That's what the term atheist means, after all. They're consistent and intellectually honest with the label.

Others, like those here, think they're clever enough to pull off pretending it's merely passive by actively denying that they're actively denying anything, as if no one will notice.

You're not clever.

The strident, openly hostile New Atheists are more honest in their atheism than you are. They don't vainly pretend this is nothing more than reasonable people disagreeing on trifles at a polite cocktail party, who when the party's over will part amiably. It's just one more tiny front of the long, already lost war against the God Who you know sees you.

Reactions: Lon

Arthur Brain

Some atheists, like the New, are blunt about this. That's what the term atheist means, after all. They're consistent and intellectually honest with the label.

Others, like those here, think they're clever enough to pull off pretending it's merely passive by actively denying that they're actively denying anything, as if no one will notice.

You're not clever.

The strident, openly hostile New Atheists are more honest in their atheism than you are. They don't vainly pretend this is nothing more than reasonable people disagreeing on trifles at a polite cocktail party, who when the party's over will part amiably. It's just one more tiny front of the long, already lost war against the God Who you know sees you.

You're not clever either Musterion. This is just the same arrogant shtick I'd come to expect from you and the presumptive 'reasoning' for why anyone doesn't believe the same as yourself. It's simplistic, facile and dishonest, but I suppose it makes it easier to justify others going to "hell"?

Heck, I've had to tell you on more than one occasion that I'm not an atheist but you still banged on the same drum.

Nobody has to conform to your parameters in order to be anyone frankly so quit with the arrogance for once.

musterion

No strain of atheism is passive. All are active because all actively refuse and deny the idea of God, which is why they are called atheism. Some are just more honest about it then the others.

Arthur Brain

No strain of atheism is passive. All are active because all actively refuse and deny the idea of God, which is why they are called atheism. Summer just more honest about it then the others.

Then you haven't read all that many atheists then. Clearly you prefer the more zealous who fit into your parameters but then even people like Dawkins make no claim to know without doubt there isn't a god. There's plenty an honest atheist/agnostic here who aren't hostile and debate with good will so why are you claiming they're dishonest?

alwight

You do have an active disbelief in God, because you were created with the knowledge of God IN YOU. You did believe until you consciously decided He wasn't doing what you wanted Him to be doing. So now you deny Him, and refuse to come to Him for the Gift He has freely offered to all men.

Complete and utter codswallop, you really must be so programmed by your particular belief while at the same time unwittingly atheistic to all the other gods that might possibly be, to which we both have no belief in.

Lon

Complete and utter codswallop, you really must be so programmed by your particular belief while at the same time unwittingly atheistic to all the other gods that might possibly be, to which we both have no belief in.
Peanut-gallery comment:
:nono: Way too over generalized. I believe that God exists. If another describes Him differently, it is the difference I'm against. That's not close to atheism, but it is active because Christianity is incompatible. :popcorn:

alwight

You're not clever.

I don't speak for all atheists who may have a whole range of beliefs. Agnostic atheists like me are in the vast majority imo because just like theists when it comes down to it I don't think anybody CAN actually KNOW theistically, whatever they may say they believe.
Some are gnostic atheists, or so they say, but I'd put them alongside those theists who think or will claim that somehow they do know. Some of these perhaps simply think that the chances of them being wrong are so vanishingly small that it can be ignored.

Atheist = without theistic belief, not a belief that gods do not exist.
That may not please some gnostic theists too much because a positive belief would be rather easier to refute. Too bad then, it is what is, it isn't a lie. I think that gnostic theism is rather more of a lie.

alwight

Peanut-gallery comment:
:nono: Way too over generalized. I believe that God exists. If another describes Him differently, it is the difference I'm against. That's not close to atheism, but it is active because Christianity is incompatible. :popcorn:
Belief is one thing, knowledge is another.

musterion

a = not, without, (having) no

theos = God

agnostic atheist

Translation: "I could be wrong but I still choose to believe God doesn't exist. That way I can live my life how I want, but if I ever find myself standing before Him in judgment I can just plead ignorance and say, 'Hey, I never categorically denied You exist; I just said I wasn't really sure! Besides, it's Your fault for not leaving me better evidence of your existence!' and that will get me off the hook."

That's some cute and cowardly bet-hedging but it'll cut no slack with Him.