Only criminals use cash

genuineoriginal

Is anyone going to address the presumption of guilt?

Or amI the only one on this site that remembers being taught that we are presumed to be innocent until proven guilty?

Buzzword

Is anyone going to address the presumption of guilt?

In other words, "WILL NO ONE ACKNOWLEDGE MY WHINING AS A LEGITIMATE GRIEVANCE AND PAT ME ON THE HEAD?"

How is a preventative measure by a private business "presumption of guilt"?

Do you consider security cameras to be a demonstration that a store's owners assume everyone coming in are guilty of shoplifting?

Do you consider a metal detector at a government building's entrance to be a presumption that everyone coming in is carrying a bomb?

Do you consider Wal-Mart requiring that you enter a PIN number if you pay with a debit card to be a presumption on the company's part that everyone paying with a debit card is guilty of theft and/or fraud?

Or amI the only one on this site that remembers being taught that we are presumed to be innocent until proven guilty?

"Innocent until proven guilty" is your protected right when accused of a crime in a court of law.
A business is in no way required to acquiesce to potential liabilities and losses by assuming that nobody is committing a crime through them or their services, or on their premises, and is well within their rights to take whatever steps they feel are necessary to protect themselves and prevent those crimes.

If it's such a threat to your masculinity, BANK WITH SOMEONE ELSE.
And good luck finding a bank still in operation that isn't taking steps to protect themselves and their customers' investments.

genuineoriginal

How is a preventative measure by a private business "presumption of guilt"?

The preventative measure is in reaction to the government's war on its citizens.

Do you consider security cameras to be a demonstration that a store's owners assume everyone coming in are guilty of shoplifting?
Yes, but that is a different issue.
Do the stores in question put extra demands on you to prove that you are not a criminal if you choose to use cash to make a purchase?
Do you consider a metal detector at a government building's entrance to be a presumption that everyone coming in is carrying a bomb?
Yes, don't you?

Do you consider Wal-Mart requiring that you enter a PIN number if you pay with a debit card to be a presumption on the company's part that everyone paying with a debit card is guilty of theft and/or fraud?
How is this similar to being treated like a criminal for trying to use cash?

"Innocent until proven guilty" is your protected right when accused of a crime in a court of law.
A business is in no way required to acquiesce to potential liabilities and losses by assuming that nobody is committing a crime through them or their services, or on their premises, and is well within their rights to take whatever steps they feel are necessary to protect themselves and prevent those crimes.
Those things that the bank is trying to protect themselves from are the demands of a government that presumes the guilt of everyone that uses cash.

You do realize that the banks are doing this in response to increasing abuses by the government, don't you?

Mr. 5020

Setting aside for the moment that numerous banks have been willing participants in money laundering for many years; if the IRS has the ID of both the giver and the givee one would think they had enough to get to the bottom of any suspicious activity already don't you think? In fact one would think that, if their true intent were to detect and prosecute money laundering, allowing someone to document it through using a bank would give them the lure/trap necessary to catch them both. Why prevent the depositor from falling into the trap thus implicating both them and the recipient in one action?
It's not a trap. It's preventative. The rules are there to protect customers, not because we like catching irate people on our surveillance cameras.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
On an unrelated note, why do you and your wife have separate bank accounts?
Every couple I've ever known who divorced did so because of money problems, most of which revolved around having separate bank accounts and one spouse feeling the other wasn't "contributing" enough to paying bills, etc.

My wife and I have separate accounts, and it works great. We periodically look at expenses, and divvy up the bills to be paid each month. Works for me.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Only criminals use cash.

My wife gave me some cash and a deposit slip, and when I went to the bank to deposit the cash, I was treated as if I was money laundering.

The banker refused to take the cash unless I deposited it into my account first and then he would transfer it into my wife's account.

He said this was to protect the bank from the government regulations because anyone could just walk into a bank and deposit cash into anyone else's account and it couldn't be traced.

The banker said that all banks would be doing this by 2016.

Thank drug pushers and pimps for these types of regulations.

How much mula are you talking about here?

Bank Reporting Guidelines for Cash Deposits
http://budgeting.thenest.com/bank-reporting-guidelines-cash-deposits-23318.html

Last edited:

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
So, doing away with cash is going to save us from drug dealers and pimps?

I was kinda sorta thinking that cracking down on the criminal element (drug pushers, pimps, terrorists) would allow honest people to once again do cash transactions without government oversight.

The Berean

Yes, I can relate,.....to have a family member or friend deposit any money in my bank, they cannot use 'cash' but must get a money-order or write a check. This became policy recently, I bank at CHASE. - however, it appears you can still deposit cash at most Wells Fargo banks. Not sure if this is the best policy to have all banks operate this way by 2016, unless its best for all involved. My friend was kind of offended when he tried to deposit some cash into my account, when the clerk told him they are trying to protect from 'money laundering',....so he had to go get a money-order :idunno:

pj

This is true. I recently deposited cash into my father's Wells Fargo savings account.

fzappa13

I was kinda sorta thinking that cracking down on the criminal element (drug pushers, pimps, terrorists) would allow honest people to once again do cash transactions without government oversight.

We haven't lost that right just yet but that is where things are headed in the name of dealing with a criminality that has been with us forever and likely will be till the judgment. I can't speak for the intent of the O.P. but I can speak for mine ... Rev 13 implies a cashless society and I am in no way suprised to find us drifting that way.