The earth is flat and we never went to the moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
White Cliffs of Dover

The most famous cliffs in the world are found in the southeast of England. The White Cliffs of Dover overlook the English Channel. On clear days, the rock walls can actually be seen from France. At 300 feet, these are not the tallest sea cliffs on earth. However, their fame comes not from their height but from their color and their location".

The cliffs of Dover in England are 30 miles from Calais France. From this picture they are clearly visible on a clear day.

I don't know if there is a telephoto lens used but it would not matter because a telephoto lens cannot take a picture over the curvature of the earth any way.

What would be the curvature of the earth at 30 miles? Would 300 foot cliffs be visible from 30 miles away?

I will wait for some to respond before I give my answer.

--Dave

Click on pic for larger view.

View attachment 25099

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
White Cliffs of Dover

The most famous cliffs in the world are found in the southeast of England. The White Cliffs of Dover overlook the English Channel. On clear days, the rock walls can actually be seen from France. At 300 feet, these are not the tallest sea cliffs on earth. However, their fame comes not from their height but from their color and their location".

The cliffs of Dover in England are 30 miles from Calais France. From this picture they are clearly visible on a clear day.

I don't know if there is a telephoto lens used but it would not matter because a telephoto lens cannot take a picture over the curvature of the earth any way.

What would be the curvature of the earth at 30 miles? Would 300 foot cliffs be visible from 30 miles away?

I will wait for some to respond before I give my answer.

--Dave

Click on pic for larger view.

View attachment 25099
Not enough information to answer the question. Need to know what height one's eye would be.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TheologyOnline mobile app

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
This pic is from the shore line, the person taking it would be would be average adult height lets say. So what is the curvature of the earth at 30 miles. The pic itself gives us enough to go by.

--Dave
What is the person's eye height above sea level? Where sea level is h0, eye level is h-what?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
What is the curvature at 30 miles can be calculated with out knowing the height of the person. With a person 5'10" we can get a good idea.

--Dave
Correction for what I said above: "h0 = 0 feet" is sea-level. I'm talking about the photo you provided. The viewpoint looks to be higher than h0 = 0, and seems to be at least h0 = 60 feet, if not more.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Correction for what I said above: "h0 = 0 feet" is sea-level. I'm talking about the photo you provided. The viewpoint looks to be higher than h0 = 0, and seems to be at least h0 = 60 feet, if not more.

So you think the person taking the picture is 60 feet above sea level? Give it what ever you think it is. Fine, stop quibbling and give me a calculation and explanation?

--Dave

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
So you think the person taking the picture is 60 feet above sea level? Give it what ever you think it is. Fine, stop quibbling and give me a calculation and explanation?

--Dave
Fine, let's be generous (because I can't be certain from the photo) and assume that h0 = 75 ft. That means there's a 250 ft drop off from where one's line of site meets the horizon to the object, which on a 300 ft tall object, leaves 50 feet above the horizon.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Fine, let's be generous (because I can't be certain from the photo) and assume that h0 = 75 ft. That means there's a 250 ft drop off from where one's line of site meets the horizon to the object, which on a 300 ft tall object, leaves 50 feet above the horizon.

What is the earths curvature at 30 miles? At sea level.

--Dave

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
30 miles of curvature on the globe model is 600 feet.

Since the cliffs are 300 feet high and the drop is 600 feet I don't think they would be visible from Calais.

--Dave

View attachment 25101

View attachment 25100

Look at the cliffs from here. You can almost see the whole face of the cliff.

The cliffs of Dover 30 miles and 600 feet of curvature from Calais would not be visible.

--Dave

View attachment 25102
They would not be visible......... FROM SEA LEVEL!

As I stated above, your photos WERE NOT TAKEN AT SEA LEVEL, and you DID NOT give the height of the camera, nor any indication of where the photo was taken. You're using a false equivalence fallacy to justify your position, and everyone in this thread is getting tired of you ignoring actual science just because it doesn't fit your perception of reality.

Now, answer this question:

Do we know anything at all about any of the stars in your perceived dome over the earth? (and I mean ANYTHING)

gcthomas

The cliffs of Dover 30 miles and 600 feet of curvature from Calais would not be visible.

--Dave

View attachment 25102

As said already, you are reading from a chart that allows you to find what would be visible if you dunked your head in the water to observe from exactly sea level. From above the sea level your line of sight does descend to sea level at the horizon, when th epath is tangential to the curve of the Earth.

So, applying Pythagoras' Theorem to both sides of this point, instead of just one, a view point of just 65' as seems right for your photo means that you can see anything over 80' above sea level at Dover. Refraction would cause more to be visible.

So yes, I'd really expect to be able to see most of the cliffs from Calais.

(Pythagoras' Theorem maths is really quite simple, so check it out for yourself.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.