The earth is flat and we never went to the moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

fool

Hall of Fame
So.... if the earth is flat why doesn't the sun set at the same time for everyone?

It would never set. Imagine your new "Globe" is a flat disk like a record player with the North pole being the center and the Coast of Antarctica is the outside edge. Now take a small light bulb to be the sun and suspend it over the record. We know it's always noon somewhere so put the light bulb over your house, that makes it midnight on the exact opposite side of the record from you. Now go look at the light bulb from the other side of the record and you can plainly see that the people on the other side of the record can still see the light bulb because there's no curvature to block it.

Now spin the record and observe the light from the perspective of your house, the light bulb goes of towards the North West getting lower in the sky until midnight when it the lowest and directly north of you, then starts getting bigger and higher coming in from the North East until it's noon again.
That's the Sun we would see on a flat disk Earth and you don't have to take my word for it.

Now try to do the Seasons.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Now go look at the light bulb from the other side of the record and you can plainly see that the people on the other side of the record can still see the light bulb because there's no curvature to block it.
Uh.... I don't get it.

Plus... I don't think people live on the other side of the earth according to this theory. Everyone is on the same side. But I could be wrong. :idunno:

fool

Hall of Fame
Uh.... I don't get it.

Plus... I don't think people live on the other side of the earth according to this theory. Everyone is on the same side. But I could be wrong. :idunno:

Right, we're all on the same side of the record, the side facing "up" and the center of the record is the north pole and the outer edge of the record is the coast of Antarctica. So when you go north you're going towards the center and when you go South you are going towards the edge.
Cause it's flat.
And we're all on one side.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Right, we're all on the same side of the record, the side facing "up" and the center of the record is the north pole and the outer edge of the record is the coast of Antarctica. So when you go north you're going towards the center and when you go South you are going towards the edge.
Cause it's flat.
And we're all on one side.

That's the way I understand the theory. So therefore there are no people on the other side. That being the case.... everyone on earth should see the sun set at around the same moment (other than slight differences for mountains and landscape that might obscure it a bit).

The only difference would be that those closer to the sun would see it larger than those far away.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

fool

Hall of Fame
That's the way I understand the theory. So therefore there are no people on the other side. That being the case.... everyone on earth should see the sun set at around the same moment (other than slight differences for mountains and landscape that might obscure it a bit).
No, they would never see the sunset.

The only difference would be that those closer to the sun would see it larger than those far away.
No, it would change angle as well as waxing or waning once every 24 hours and midnight would have the sun visible to your direct North.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm sorry that I have not been able to reply to all the posts. I work long hours but have more time on the week end.

I'm not avoiding some of the great questions you have been asking, I have been working on ways to answer them. I really do thank all of you who have participated.

And I do want this to be fun and enlightening. Viewing Stanley Kubrick's films in relation to "we never went to the moon" is both intriguing and a joy to see his great fills again. Did he film the moon missions on the set of "2001 A Space Odyssey"???

--Dave

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Samuel Birley Rowbotham

Samuel Birley Rowbotham (1816–1884) was an English inventor and writer who wrote Zetetic Astronomy: Earth Not a Globe under the pseudonym "Parallax". His work was based on his decade-long studies of the Earth and was originally published as a 16-page pamphlet (1849), which he later expanded into a 430-page book (1881). According to Rowbotham's method, which he called Zetetic Astronomy, the Earth is an enclosed plane, centered at the North Pole and bounded along its outward edge by a wall of ice, with the Sun, Moon, planets, and stars only several hundred miles above the surface of the Earth.

After Rowbotham's death, Lady Elizabeth Blount founded the Universal Zetetic Society, which attracted thousands of followers, published a magazine entitled The Earth Not a Globe Review and remained active well into the early part of the 20th century. After World War I, the movement underwent a slow decline, but it was revived in 1956 as The Flat Earth Society.

In the United States, Rowbotham's ideas were taken up by the Christian Catholic Apostolic Church and promoted widely on their radio station. His work in the United States was continued by William Carpenter. Carpenter, a printer originally from Greenwich, England, a supporter of Rowbotham and published Theoretical Astronomy Examined and Exposed — Proving the Earth not a Globe in eight parts from 1864 under the name Common Sense. He later emigrated to Baltimore where he published A hundred proofs the Earth is not a Globe in 1885.[6] He argues that:

"There are rivers that flow for hundreds of miles towards the level of the sea without falling more than a few feet — notably, the Nile, which, in a thousand miles, falls but a foot. A level expanse of this extent is quite incompatible with the idea of the Earth's convexity. It is, therefore, a reasonable proof that Earth is not a globe."

"If the Earth were a globe, a small model globe would be the very best — because the truest — thing for the navigator to take to sea with him. But such a thing as that is not known: with such a toy as a guide, the mariner would wreck his ship, of a certainty!, This is a proof that Earth is not a globe."--Wiki

Pictured below is a drawing of one of his experiments to prove a flat earh

View attachment 25105

In this video beginning from "51:51 to 57:57" is a presentation of his work.

You go right to this section of the video and and only view 6 min and see what is the origin of the modern flat earth movement.

--Dave

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Samuel Birley Rowbotham

Samuel Birley Rowbotham (1816–1884) was an English inventor and writer who wrote Zetetic Astronomy: Earth Not a Globe under the pseudonym "Parallax". His work was based on his decade-long studies of the Earth and was originally published as a 16-page pamphlet (1849), which he later expanded into a 430-page book (1881). According to Rowbotham's method, which he called Zetetic Astronomy, the Earth is an enclosed plane, centered at the North Pole and bounded along its outward edge by a wall of ice, with the Sun, Moon, planets, and stars only several hundred miles above the surface of the Earth.

First of all, do you realize that you're saying the stars are much closer to Earth than the Sun and Moon are? If that's the case, then we should see stars in front of the moon, and not have the moon eclipse them. This is NOT REALITY.

After Rowbotham's death, Lady Elizabeth Blount founded the Universal Zetetic Society, which attracted thousands of followers, published a magazine entitled The Earth Not a Globe Review and remained active well into the early part of the 20th century. After World War I, the movement underwent a slow decline, but it was revived in 1956 as The Flat Earth Society.

In the United States, Rowbotham's ideas were taken up by the Christian Catholic Apostolic Church and promoted widely on their radio station. His work in the United States was continued by William Carpenter. Carpenter, a printer originally from Greenwich, England, a supporter of Rowbotham and published Theoretical Astronomy Examined and Exposed — Proving the Earth not a Globe in eight parts from 1864 under the name Common Sense. He later emigrated to Baltimore where he published A hundred proofs the Earth is not a Globe in 1885.[6] He argues that:

Ok, first of all, read this: http://www.veritas-ucsb.org/library/russell/FlatEarth.html

"There are rivers that flow for hundreds of miles towards the level of the sea without falling more than a few feet — notably, the Nile, which, in a thousand miles, falls but a foot. A level expanse of this extent is quite incompatible with the idea of the Earth's convexity. It is, therefore, a reasonable proof that Earth is not a globe."

We've discussed this already with the Calais Cliffs. I'm not going to go into it again.

"If the Earth were a globe, a small model globe would be the very best — because the truest — thing for the navigator to take to sea with him. But such a thing as that is not known: with such a toy as a guide, the mariner would wreck his ship, of a certainty!, This is a proof that Earth is not a globe."--Wiki

This is a non-sequitur, not to mention he's ignoring a most of naval navigation history, not to mention reality...

Pictured below is a depiction of one of his experiments to prove a flat earh

View attachment 25105

This is such a ridiculous image. It assumes that gravity is pulling in one direction. It does not. Gravity is omnidirectional. Notice the man on the right in the top half of the image, and then the man on the left. The man on the left, his "down" is toward the focal point of the curve. The man on the right? His "down" is not toward the focal point. From this we can safely assume that the artist clearly has no understanding of physics, nor do you, or you would not have used it in your post

In this video beginning from "51:51 to 57:57" is a presentation of his work.

You go right to this section of the video and and only view 6 min and see what is the origin of the modern flat earth movement.

--Dave

I have already provided you with a link to read on the origin of the idea of a flat earth.

Now. ANSWER MY QUESTION!

Can we know anything about the stars in your flat earth's dome?

Sent from my Pixel XL using TheologyOnline mobile app

chair

The origins of the flat earth movement are of interest to historians of pseudoscience. There are so many things wrong with the idea that it is astounding that anybody literate (as Dave clearly is) would believe such a thing.

Dave, gravity is real. Even if we do not understand it completely- it is real. Not a hoax. It has been observed and measured. That's just the way things are.

The Nile drops far more than your 19th century flat-earther claims. Again- it is simply a fact.

The distance to the moon and stars has been measured. They are very far away. They are not on a dome hanging a few hundred miles above the earth. Again a simple fact.

Contrary to popular belief, the ancients, certainly as far back as the Greeks, knew that the Earth is spherical. Again, a plain fact.

Hours of videos and thousands of words full of ideas that don't connect to reality are not some superior theory. They are nonsense. Really.

Wake up, Dave. You are wasting a lot of energy on something that isn't worthwhile.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hey Dave, I know you busy so just answer this when you can.

In your own words... If the earth is actually flat what would be the motivation behind the conspiracy to convince the people that the earth is a sphere? What's the payoff? Why do it?

Please no video links or copy and paste from another site. Just give me your own summarized answer in your own words.

ttruscott

Originally Posted by DFT_Dave
Samuel Birley Rowbotham

with the Sun, Moon, planets, and stars only several hundred miles above the surface of the Earth.
First of all, do you realize that you're saying the stars are much closer to Earth than the Sun and Moon are? If that's the case, then we should see stars in front of the moon, and not have the moon eclipse them. This is NOT REALITY.

I am certainly not a flat earther but your conclusion that "with the Sun, Moon, planets, and stars only several hundred miles above the surface of the Earth" must mean 'the stars are much closer to Earth than the Sun and Moon' is objectionable.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I am certainly not a flat earther but your conclusion that "with the Sun, Moon, planets, and stars only several hundred miles above the surface of the Earth" must mean 'the stars are much closer to Earth than the Sun and Moon' is objectionable.

I am using Daves own comment from earlier, where he said that the Sun and Moon rotate above the Earth about 1000 miles above it. (or something like that). I'll find it after I post this, there's a few other posts I want to address of his, and provide the Post number here: ______

Also, according to Dave, the planets don't exist.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
The sun and moon circle the flat earth.

This ancient symbol represents this:

View attachment 25061
That's the yin and yang. It represents 2 completely opposite yet complementary energies. It has nothing to do with a flat earth.
Have you noticed that when you look up at the moon, you always see the same features? You can see craters and patches of different colors. With a pair of binoculars or a telescope, you can make out even more detail. But no matter how you look at the moon, you're always seeing the same landscape. What's on the other side of the moon? --http://science.howstuffworks.com/dark-side-of-moon.htm

View attachment 25065

--Dave
Have you never, ever looked at an astronomy textbook? The moon orbits the earth at the exact same speed that it rotates, and in the same direction too. That's why we always see the same half (yes, half, the moon is a sphere), regardless of where it is in the sky.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
i'm working on it, i'm working on it

Vyjayanthi-Chari-e1424450233214.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.