toldailytopic: Is it wrong to hate wicked people?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
How sad that some would think not hating evil people is "loving evil." Some of the Devil's greatest work on Earth is done by people whom he has convinced that God wants them to hate evil people. In fact, we are all evil people, compared to the people we are called to be. Let us remember that none of us is free of evil. I pity and pray for those who don't understand that.

We are called upon to be an imitation of Christ, and He loved evil people enough to give up His life for us.

We may not be that committed, but we should try.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
2380577-2662941_grima_wormtongue_large_1__large.jpg

dreadknought

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 21st, 2013 06:00 AM

toldailytopic: Is it wrong to hate wicked people?

No, it is not wrong to hate wicked people.
King David said:
"I do not sit with men of falsehood, nor do I consort with hypocrites. I hate the assembly of evildoers, and I will not sit with the wicked. I wash my hands in innocence and go around your altar, O LORD, proclaiming thanksgiving aloud, and telling all your wondrous deeds." Psalm 26:4,5,6ESV

PureX

If hatred becomes your life, then it's a serious problem.
I agree about it being a momentary emotional response. That it's somewhat automatic and I suppose even reasonable under a number of circumstances. But human beings are a kind of highbred creature that exists partly as animal and partly as something more. And we experience a lot of basic animal responses that the human in us believes we need to transcend. And I think hatred is one of these, as I don't see any positive result from it that couldn't be achieved fairly easily without it.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I agree about it being a momentary emotional response. That it's somewhat automatic and I suppose even reasonable under a number of circumstances. But human beings are a kind of highbred creature that exists partly as animal and partly as something more. And we experience a lot of basic animal responses that the human in us believes we need to transcend. And I think hatred is one of these, as I don't see any positive result from it that couldn't be achieved fairly easily without it.

:think:

Try this: Hatred is an emotional shortcut.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying things, but I think there's something to this.

PureX

Try this: Hatred is an emotional shortcut.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying things, but I think there's something to this.
Are we confusing anger with hate?

I think of hate as a desire to see someone else harmed. It's more specific, I think, then anger or rage, which I think of as being almost totally visceral. Hate is a thought reaction, whereas anger and rage tend to be automatic emotional reactions. This is why I think of hate as something the human in us would want to rise above, whereas our anger is a necessary and automatic survival function.

I don't think I feel hate like I feel anger or rage. But I can certainly think hateful thoughts. And I see no particularly useful purpose for my doing so.

Make any sense?

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
PureX said:

I think of hate as a desire to see someone else harmed.

Golly, if only there was a way to figure out what the definitions of words are. :dizzy:

hate

noun, often attributive \ˈhāt\

Definition of HATE

1a : intense hostility and aversion usually deriving from fear, anger, or sense of injury

b : extreme dislike or antipathy : loathing <had a great hate of hard work>

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
I hate (have an intense hostility and aversion deriving from anger and an extreme dislike or antipathy : loathing) child molesters.

PureX and barbie on the other hand do not.

Granite

Hall of Fame

I think of hate as a desire to see someone else harmed. It's more specific, I think, then anger or rage, which I think of as being almost totally visceral. Hate is a thought reaction, whereas anger and rage tend to be automatic emotional reactions. This is why I think of hate as something the human in us would want to rise above, whereas our anger is a necessary and automatic survival function.

I don't think I feel hate like I feel anger or rage. But I can certainly think hateful thoughts. And I see no particularly useful purpose for my doing so.

Make any sense?

So you'd say that true full-blown hatred probably contains active malice, while anger or rage--being in the moment responses--don't, necessarily. Correct? I think we're on the same page here.

Hate may be useful, temporarily, for purging, venting, or burning off undesirable emotion. Overall I would agree it doesn't serve a very positive purpose, at least in the long run.

dreadknought

I hate (have an intense hostility and aversion deriving from anger and an extreme dislike or antipathy : loathing) child molesters.

PureX and barbie on the other hand do not.
:thumb:

I hate homesexuality. Homosexuality is a self gratifying sin. I pray for a homo's repentance & strength to overcome, but I do not have to welcome those actively practicing into my home....... or partake with them @ the Lord's Table.

"Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you........."

On the other hand, I am angry with Christian men/women who play childish games, I hate many of these games. I don't look for ways to cut off their heads.

"BE ANGRY, AND yet DO NOT SIN; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and do not give the devil an opportunity."

PureX

So you'd say that true full-blown hatred probably contains active malice, while anger or rage--being in the moment responses--don't, necessarily. Correct? I think we're on the same page here.
Yes, exactly.
Hate may be useful, temporarily, for purging, venting, or burning off undesirable emotion. Overall I would agree it doesn't serve a very positive purpose, at least in the long run.
That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that. I think entertaining hateful thoughts probably is an effective way of venting the anger and rage we feel toward someone. And in that sense it actually could be a good thing, short term.

glorydaz

No, it is not wrong to hate wicked people.

"I do not sit with men of falsehood, nor do I consort with hypocrites. I hate the assembly of evildoers, and I will not sit with the wicked. I wash my hands in innocence and go around your altar, O LORD, proclaiming thanksgiving aloud, and telling all your wondrous deeds." Psalm 26:4,5,6ESV

King David was of the race of Adam, of which Jesus was the LAST ADAM, while born again believers are of the Second Man (Jesus Christ), with His Spirit dwelling in us. John 14:16 KJV Being temples of the Holy Spirit, it cannot be that we hold onto any kind of hate, for if we do, we will be sorely chastened. :rain:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Yes, it is wrong to hate wicked people so much that you refuse to rebuke them for their sins.

Leviticus 19:17
17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.​

There is a difference between a brother and a neighbor.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yes, exactly.
That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that. I think entertaining hateful thoughts probably is an effective way of venting the anger and rage we feel toward someone. And in that sense it actually could be a good thing, short term.

Exactly. But keeping such emotions at a boil doesn't do much of good for anyone. It's a valve, basically. Release as needed, and hopefully it's not much needed, if at all.

This Charming Manc

Do I need to? The Pharisees were unrepentant, self-righteous sinners who committed their sins in the open, blatantly.

Really, in there day the Pharisees were seen as the righteous and holy ones who were faithful jews, diligent in faith, morally pure, followed the whole law and rabbinic interpretation of the law.

They were not to the naked eyes sinners or morally corrupt. They were good conservative people. Who were passionate about there faith, and restoring God back to there government.

Yes He did. And?

Do you think that contradicts my statement?

No I don't think every observation that I make is one of contradiction, It may scare you to actually understand there are some things we probably agree on.

They got both barrels because they were immoral, unrighteous [self-righteous] hypocrites.

I think the self righteous is the reason they got both barrels, and it would of surprised many listeners at the time.

All of whom were repentant.

Really? I think your reading in to suit your belief there. Definitely in a few cases repentance came from graceful interaction, I think you would be misleading to say that Jesus was only ever gentle and polite with sinners who had already repented.

For example zacchaeus only repented after Jesus came to his house and ate with him. There is no record of Jesus rebuking him at all ?

And He didn't rebuke the unrepentant man on the cross beside Him because the repentant one did that.

Really? I think your reading that in. Nothing in the text suggests that, apart from your apparent belief that Jesus went round confronting everyone.

Yes John the baptist did have a gift for confrontation. However I don't think were all called to be like John all the time. if you do can offer you a natty hairskin jacket I have in my wardrobe , and can offer you a diet of wild honey and crickets ?

Autumn Delight

Why wouldn't the entire human race be considered wicked?

If we are all born into sin, wouldn't that make us all wicked?

Is a 'sinful' heart not the same as a wicked heart/wickedness?