toldailytopic: Should the Boy Scouts of America lift the gay ban and allow homosexual

bybee

But allowing a woman in the same situation is OK? Not campaigning to stop women being scout leaders then? There are plenty of ways to ensure privacy in scout camps, and I'm pretty sure communal showers went out of scouting a long time ago.

Arguing from 'common sense' means arguing 'without feeling you have to justify any bigotry'.

You've never heard of unisex restrooms in corporate buildings? They're quite common now.

One at a time and there are locks on the doors.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
One at a time and there are locks on the doors.

Thats not really a unisex restroom then. A true one would be men and women in one with multiple stalls and we all know why that doesnt happen and it doesnt take a brain surgeon to get it and get why some people would be uncomfortable with a same sex person in them with them as if a member of the opposite sex were in there with them.

This isnt hard people.

gcthomas

False there are still plenty of communal showers at boy scout camps in the US and no women do not supervise them there.

Unisex restrooms where its not just one toilet with a door lock but instead where multiple sexes are using them at the same time? Where can i find those in the US please?

Or do you mean they are commonplace in the UK?

A small troop of scouts can get by on just a couple of individual stalls (are individual stalls EVER not lockable??), and can share hand-washing areas.

I notice that you ignored the main point about your mistake regarding female leaders in the scouts, and your incoherent argument against homosexuals. Don't have an answer for that yet?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
A small troop of scouts can get by on just a couple of individual stalls (are individual stalls EVER not lockable??), and can share hand-washing areas.

I notice that you ignored the main point about your mistake regarding female leaders in the scouts, and your incoherent argument against homosexuals. Don't have an answer for that yet?

I was talking about females as in girls, and i did respond that the women den mothers do not shower and sleep in with the boys, men do that.

You were who wanted to talk about women leaders, and its not that way here.

If you dont get the restroom and shower argument and comfort in having them seperate, i cant help you.

Its really not hard to understand unless the lack of understanding is willful, which in your case, i believe it is so there is nothing more really to discuss with you.

gcthomas

I was talking about females as in girls, and i did respond that the women den mothers do not shower and sleep in with the boys, men do that.

You were who wanted to talk about women leaders, and its not that way here.

If you dont get the restroom and shower argument and comfort in having them seperate, i cant help you.

Its really not hard to understand unless the lack of understanding is willful, which in your case, i believe it is so there is nothing more really to discuss with you.

Women can be accommodated by not having them supervise open showers, but you couldn't accommodate homosexuals in the same way? Why is that? It is not hard to arrange, is it?

"Its really not hard to understand"?? Really? Men and women of any orientation can look after children of any variety. Most adults are good to all children, even though you insist on marginalising one group for your own, unfathomable reasons. Some adults are bad (mostly heterosexual ones, due to their numerical superiority), but you can't reasonably demonise a whole, law abiding and non-paedophile sub-group of the population without having to seriously distort the meaning of christian morals.

fool

Hall of Fame
The gays, why cant they just make their own scouting club and admit whoever they want?
Scouting is for BOYS.
How can a 12 year old be gay?

I can imagine that if i were a boy i wouldn't want someone who identifies with the opposite sex in themselves going out and camping, sleeping, showering and spending that much time with me or even having the thought that they might find me attractive sexually.
There's women in scouting.
We had a woman on our last campout.
A boy lost his father so his mom came along.
They have female Scout Masters.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_Pollard_(Scouting)

To be consistant you should object to that.
And this all ignores the fact that the parents are on the camp outs anyway. Not just the Scout Master. So are you saying that a Scout shouldn't be able to bring his gay dad on the campout?
Or are you saying that you don't want the boy in Scouts if he has a gay dad?
Does the gay rub off on the kid?
Do the gays ever think about anyone elses comfort other than their own?
If you're uncomfortable around gay people that's Your problem, not theirs.
Just like if you're uncomfortable around Atheists or Blacks or Cheese Makers.
Scouting isn't about you being comfortable, it's about Boys going Scouting. And boys aren't Gay or Atheist or Cheese Makers, they're just boys.

fool

Hall of Fame
Its as supportable as saying that you should be comfortable in a public showering facility with a man in there showering.

Its the same thing. No one should be forced into that kind of discomfort.

Allowing a gay man to be sleeping in with a bunch of boys, would be the same thing as allowing a straight man to sleep in with a bunch of teen girls, shower with them, etc..

Common sense - has nothing to do with bigotry, but the same reason we dont put the girls and boys and men and women in the same restroom.

The gays that are trying to force it, could care less about the comfort of others.

This reasoning is not hard to get.

Being a Boy Scout in no way requires taking a shower in front of an adult or twenty other boys.
That's the public schools you're thinking of.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Scouting is for BOYS.
How can a 12 year old be gay?

I went through puberty by 11, is that not possible to happen in a boy? Are there no 12 year old boys that have decided what sex they are interested in?

There's women in scouting.
We had a woman on our last campout.
A boy lost his father so his mom came along.
They have female Scout Masters.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_Pollard_(Scouting)

To be consistant you should object to that.
And this all ignores the fact that the parents are on the camp outs anyway. Not just the Scout Master. So are you saying that a Scout shouldn't be able to bring his gay dad on the campout?
Or are you saying that you don't want the boy in Scouts if he has a gay dad?
Does the gay rub off on the kid?

If you're uncomfortable around gay people that's Your problem, not theirs.
Just like if you're uncomfortable around Atheists or Blacks or Cheese Makers.
Scouting isn't about you being comfortable, it's about Boys going Scouting. And boys aren't Gay or Atheist or Cheese Makers, they're just boys.

Having a woman along and having one sleeping in tents with them and showering with them and being in rest rooms with them arent the same thing.

And no, i would not be comfortable with a member of the opposite sex watching me in the rest room, or shower or sleep with me unless it was my husband, any more than i would want a bull dyke, who likes women watching me or sleeping with me or showering with me, it would be EXACTLY like having a member of the opposite sex doing all that.

Everyone has a right to their personal space and what makes them feel comfortable and gay with them is like a member of the opposite sex, and we dont have to keep pretending we dont get it.

Not hard to understand. If you wouldnt want someone of the opposite sex that isnt your mate in the shower with you, you should understand that having someone attracted to your sex there even if they are of the same sex, is like having someone of the opposite sex there.

LKmommy

Scouting is wider than any particular denomination, and this means everyone should exercise tolerance of others' beliefs.
Tolerance and apathy are the last virtures of a dying society~Aristotle.

I dont agree with you gcthomas and I do not support the BSA lowering their Oath/Creed/Foundation and principles based upon their religous/moral/foundations.

gcthomas

I dont agree with you gcthomas and I do not support the BSA lowering their Oath/Creed/Foundation and principles based upon their religous/moral/foundations.

The creed etc say nothing about evangelical Christianity or intolerance to homosexuals. Where's the problem?

gcthomas

Your Aristotle quote is a fake, I'm afraid.

LKmommy

Your Aristotle quote is a fake, I'm afraid.

I'm afraid you are thinking of J Kennedy and his take on the above statements.

I am afraid you are tolerant to the unnatural acts of homosexuals that want to be around little boys.

I dont agree with you GC. No homos in the BSA. They can say who joins and who does not period, simple. You have ignored people on this thread who pointed to their belief systems and their understanding of God and you go off on rabit trails......

I am not interested in your rabbit trail. Homosexuality is unnatural and perverse. I support the BSA standing by their fundamental values of God. If you don't like their views, do not join them, do not support them, and make your own scout club.

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Like many other institutions the scouts are being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Better late than never.

gcthomas

Lkmommy, the quote you ascribed to Aristotle seems to have been coined (faked) by one Dr Willan Pearce, a leader of the white separatist National Alliance.

It is a made up quote to justify bigotry. Don't fall for it.

LKmommy

Lkmommy, the quote you ascribed to Aristotle seems to have been coined (faked) by one Dr Willan Pearce, a leader of the white separatist National Alliance.

It is a made up quote to justify bigotry. Don't fall for it.

There are many to have claimed this quote. Is it Aristotle, Plato, Socrates or a little of each? Throw in some JKennedy and Dr. Pearce and if this is the outcome....

I SUPPORT THE STATEMENT not the person who said it how about that? As for "dont fall for it", do not worry about me for I believe the message: Galatians 5:9

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
There are many to have claimed this quote. Is it Aristotle, Plato, Socrates or a little of each? Throw in some JKennedy and Dr. Pearce and if this is the outcome....

I SUPPORT THE STATEMENT not the person who said it how about that? As for "dont fall for it", do not worry about me for I believe the message: Galatians 5:9

But you really should be able to state where or when the person supposedly said or wrote it, otherwise it just doesn't hold water, LowKlassmommy. Otherwise, it is just an attempt to artificially add weight to a weakly supported comment.

LKmommy

But you really should be able to state where or when the person supposedly said or wrote it, otherwise it just doesn't hold water, LowKlassmommy. Otherwise, it is just an attempt to artificially add weight to a weakly supported comment.

Nice name calling Uber. So I should align myself with someone like you of *such high moral standards and debate tactics? :hammer:

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
Nice name calling Uber. So I should align myself with someone like you of *such high moral standards and debate tactics? :hammer:
Obviously my attempt at humor failed me. It allowed you to completely ignore the point of my post. :comeout:

LKmommy

Obviously my attempt at humor failed me. It allowed you to completely ignore the point of my post. :comeout:

I do NOT accept namecalling. My five year old has more class than you Uber. How is name calling EVER "an attempt at humor"?

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
I do NOT accept namecalling. My five year old has more class than you Uber. How is name calling EVER "an attempt at humor"?
With all due respect, it might be time for you to lighten up. Perhaps if you had more class... Just Kidding.