toldailytopic: What is the most emotionally difficult thing you have ever done in you

Status
Not open for further replies.

bybee

Hey John W.!

Hey John W.!

Decidiing between Morelli's, and the Diner.

My second daughter who is an RN may be taking a job with the VA Hospital in Dallas. Give me some names of good inexpensive places to eat. Oops! I suppose I shouldn't ask this on this thread. Sorry, bybee

nicholsmom

Learning how to place a nasogastric tube up the nose of my infant daughter when I learned that she was aspirating my milk :cry: Then later having to give up hope of ever resuming breastfeeding her.

It was also hard to tell the doctors, months later, "No, you will not surgically place a g-tube in this child. I want a second opinion." When faced with evidence that she continued to aspirate and therefore knowing that she could get pneumonia from just eating if I refused. Still, that was a great decision - she's doing great with eating and speech thanks to saying "no" to that g-tube and getting a second opinion (which opinion was "Wow, she's doing great! Keep up the good work and keep thickening her formula.") And no pneumonia - ever. Not even an ear infection (yes, they are related).

Learning that having successfully breastfed 5 previous children was insufficient experience for breastfeeding the sixth was hard. Learning that all my confidence in taking care of babies might well have endangered her life, was devastating.

Last edited:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
people dont like to hear about that stuff too much. someone would try to shut the thread down.

I don't think this is true.

That had to be devastating. I can't even imagine. So sorry you had to experience this.

vnctblzn

I don't think this is true.

That had to be devastating. I can't even imagine. So sorry you had to experience this.
thanks much.

sometimes people assume that because my father is homosexual pedophile that i must be too. yet i was never even tempted into those things, because i saw their negative side at an early age. similarly, my father is a drinker and a smoker, yet i've never had the urge to drink or smoke.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
thanks much.

sometimes people assume that because my father is homosexual pedophile that i must be too. yet i was never even tempted into those things, because i saw their negative side at an early age. similarly, my father is a drinker and a smoker, yet i've never had the urge to drink or smoke.

If people assume this it's certainly out of ignorance. I think it stands to reason that a child would want to run from anything that resembled the hurt and destruction he saw his parent/s take part in.

vnctblzn

If people assume this it's certainly out of ignorance. I think it stands to reason that a child would want to run from anything that resembled the hurt and destruction he saw his parent/s take part in.
i have more of a focus on both self-preservation and preservation of the human species. i dont really honor blood ties too much. rather, i honor healthy behavior in people. my pastor had a much holier countenance than my father. my father's countenance is more demonic.

Selaphiel

Seeing my otherwise very cheerful mother fade away, over the course of 4 weeks, in a hospital bed due to cancer.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: What is the most emotionally difficult thing
you have ever done in your life?

These were difficult . . .

When my dad died, I was thirteen.

When Mrs Psalmist was on the ventilator for eleven days.

I think the most emotionally difficult . . .

When two of our daughter’s died

Sarah-Jayne, in 1968. Sarah-Jayne was only two days old.

Eleanore Rose, in 1971. Rose was 18 months old.

Then arranging and attending each of their funerals, then their burial.

Last edited:

One Eyed Jack

Dealing with my dad's death was pretty hard, especially since we fought a lot. I'll never be able to forget that I slammed him against the wall a couple of days before he died. I wish I'd never done that.

vnctblzn

Dealing with my dad's death was pretty hard, especially since we fought a lot. I'll never be able to forget that I slammed him against the wall a couple of days before he died. I wish I'd never done that.
i yelled at my brother in front of my mother the last time that she saw us together. that must have hurt her before she passed away.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I lost faith in my youngest son and I was wrong and shallow. My three older children were all good students and involved in activities. My youngest son was different and then, I was far less understanding of differences. He went through a period in high school, getting poor grades, hanging out with kids I thought to be outcasts. I accused him of things! Then he went to college and did very well in computer systems analysis. He is still affected by me and while we talk, he is distant.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Same here. Dad went into the hospital for a liver problem, early the next morning mom got a call to come to the hospital that they were losing him. Mom sent for us two boys about an hour later, within two hours he died. That day is still vivid, as were the next 6 days.​

fool

Hall of Fame
I think reading this thread is the most emotionally difficult thing I have ever done.
Tommorows TotD is gonna be about kittens and butterflies right?

ragTagblues

Generally waking up i find to be very ta. . . . .wait used this recently in another post!

Hmmmmm.

Deciding to leave someone I loved for the wrong reasons and realizing I was not the man I thought I was.

The Graphite

I think reading this thread is the most emotionally difficult thing I have ever done.
Tommorows TotD is gonna be about kittens and butterflies right?

TOL Topic of the Day:

Vote! Kittens or Butterflies?

Sorry, Fool. Today's topic was my suggestion. Ironically, I did not have a specific answer in mind when I suggested it, so here I am, today, struggling to pick one. I'm fortunate in my life that I have had little tribulation.

I've had emotionally difficult situations in which I really had no choice or decision in the matter, such as when both of my brothers conspired so that one of them could commit adultery against my sister-lin-law while sneaking money out of his/her bank account while she had serious unpaid medical bills that were preventing her from receiving further, much-needed medical treatment. There wasn't much of anything for me to do in that situation, other than support my sister morally and spiritually, and that certainly wasn't difficult.

But as for today's question, I think I would have to say it comes down to a tie between two distinct but similar situations, each of which was not a singular event but rather the culmination of a long struggle with an issue of personal worldview. The first was my struggle with the issue of violent vigilanteism, most importantly as it relates to abortion and abortionists. Don't worry, I ended up adamantly against it.

It's not a singular event in my life, mind you. Rather, it was a process over years of time, but ending in a firm decision. I struggled with this issue since soon after I was saved in November 1999. I would struggle with it for a while, eventually find an excuse or some halfway sensible (sounding) answer, and that would mollify my concerns for a while, but it would just come back again. Nobody could really answer this deeply emotional issue for me, for years. Not in any solid or lasting way. I even actively avoided any contact with pro-life volunteer work for years because of this - because of an underlying fear that while I might not premeditate anything, that in the heat of the moment I might act in a way that would bring dishonor to God and those whom I love.

I lost sleep over this issue on many occasions, quite literally. Please don't misunderstand, I didn't feel called to any actual action, any actual act of violent vigilanteism. But it was a question of whether I supported it ideologically. In hindsight, my conscience was against it, all along, and I did want a good, solid answer to give me a reason to be permanently and completely against it. But I could find no such answer. I asked various pastors, and none of them could give me a solid, biblical answer. I felt that it was wrong, but I could not seem to prove it, scripturally or otherwise. And that was enormously and emotionally frustrating.

Until I became aware of Pastor Bob Enyart and his ministry. His comprehensive and biblically-sound argument against violent vigilanteism was so complete and rock-solid that it finally gave me peace on this terrible and emotional issue. It was an enormous slam dunk, and I have been truly at peace on this issue for years now, thanks to him.

----------------

The other lf of this tie would go to the worldview transformation I underwent over the course of about 8 or 10 months. This was over a shorter amount of time, but was also very emotionally intense for me, at times.

Make no mistake, this wasn't a matter of "Gosh, which candidate is slightly better than the other? Which box do I mark with a No. 2 pencil on my mail-in ballot form?" From far it. This was a very major part of my worldview, on a personal level. It was part of who I was, my identity as a person. The only transformative moment in my life bigger than this was accepting Christ as my Savior.

I'd spent my entire adult life as a loyal and faithful Republican. I voted for George Bush Sr. against Clinton, then voted for Dole against Clinton, and then for "Dubya" both times. The second time, I actually stepped out of my home into public and shouted for joy when his victory was made official on the news. I was naive enough to think these men were conservative, pro-life, etc. How immature I was. It really is shameful. However, with the help of friends and my church, I forced myself to confront the terrible political realities that exist in our tragically beseiged nation, and the rampant political corruption and compromise within the Republican Party. I didn't want to face it or accept it. I didn't want it to be true. And, again, I literally lost sleep on many nights during this period of time, agonizing over the many issues inherent to this overall worldview, from economics and taxes to issues of life and liberty and morality. Eventually, the extensive and overwhelming evidence defeated me. I could never see American politics the same way, again. Certainly, my understanding of specific issues and events is always growing as I continue to learn and keep informed. But that period of just shy of a year was actually very difficult for me. A huge portion of my worldview massively changed and it was a very trying time for me.

Praise God, from whom all blessings flow. We have ultimate victory in Him! Not in the ridiculous games people play here on earth. His victory is the one that counts for me, and I hope each day I can honor what I did for me, no matter how far I know I will fall short.

Status
Not open for further replies.