well, I see no one is talking about the pope... that is telling

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
yes, it is telling...

guess some of you anti-Catholics just saw too much GOOD there...

Pope going to Mass

Pope addressing Congress about evils in the US and the world

yes, very telling...

your motto: Cant say anything bad, say nothing at all

+++

The reason I'm not talking about him is, I invited him over
for dinner and he didn't have the common decency to even
respond to my invitation.

Last edited:

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Ad Hominem rhetoric. Try again.

Addressed here. Try again.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+
Just like bowing before statues, you cannot justify ignoring what God clearly commands. Observe:

Matthew 15:1-9English Standard Version (ESV)

Traditions and Commandments

15 Then Pharisees and scribes came to Jesus from Jerusalem and said, 2 “Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat.” 3 He answered them, “And why do you break the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition? 4 For God commanded, ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘Whoever reviles father or mother must surely die.’ 5 But you say, ‘If anyone tells his father or his mother, “What you would have gained from me is given to God,”[a] 6 he need not honor his father.’ So for the sake of your tradition you have made void the word[b] of God. 7 You hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy of you, when he said:
8 “‘This people honors me with their lips,
but their heart is far from me;
9 in vain do they worship me,
teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’”

If you believe that this applies only to the commandment to honor your father and mother you have far greater problems to deal with.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
You can go ahead and apply that to yourself regarding Matthew 23:9.
You are wrong to call priests and the Pope "Father". There is no grey area. Why? Because when call a priest or a pope father you are not referring to them as your biological father, you are addressing them as your spiritual father. And God has said quite plainly, He is to be your ONLY spiritual Father.

Cruciform

You are wrong to call priests and the Pope "Father".
Already answered---and corrected---in Post #42 above.

...when call a priest or a pope father you are not referring to them as your biological father, you are addressing them as your spiritual father.
...just as were the apostles.

And God has said quite plainly, He is to be your ONLY spiritual Father.
Nope. Back to Post #42.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

PureX

It's interesting how intently the subject of the pope's coming to the U.S. and spanking the republican party, and spanking American greed-run-amok in general, is being avoided, here. And instead we're bickering about Catholic priests being called "father", which I admit is silly, but lots of religious traditions are silly to those who don't engage in them.

Is anyone going to address the pope's actual message, and how it completely counters the republican party's long-standing agenda of blaming the poor every chance they get and eliminating all public aid to the poor so they can funnel yet even more tax dollars to their wealthy corporate, Wall Street, and military industrial cronies?

I'm just curious if the pope's message tweaked anyone's consciences, here, since some of you all seem to love the republican party so much, hate the poor, and revere corporate greed and profiteering in general. (You know who you are.)

oatmeal

yes, it is telling...

guess some of you anti-Catholics just saw too much GOOD there...

Pope going to Mass

Pope addressing Congress about evils in the US and the world

yes, very telling...

your motto: Cant say anything bad, say nothing at all

+++

Does the Pope really have anything to offer compared to the likes of Moses or Paul or Peter or David or Jesus Christ or Mark or Luke or John?

No, not really.

I would rather read truth from God's word.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
It's interesting how intently the subject of the pope's coming to the U.S. and spanking the republican party, and spanking American greed-run-amok in general, is being avoided, here. And instead we're bickering about Catholic priests being called "father", which I admit is silly, but lots of religious traditions are silly to those who don't engage in them.

Is anyone going to address the pope's actual message, and how it completely counters the republican party's long-standing agenda of blaming the poor every chance they get and eliminating all public aid to the poor so they can funnel yet even more tax dollars to their wealthy corporate, Wall Street, and military industrial cronies?

I'm just curious if the pope's message tweaked anyone's consciences, here, since some of you all seem to love the republican party so much, hate the poor, and revere corporate greed and profiteering in general. (You know who you are.)

I heard bashing of both.

You wanna address what he said about the family unit being destroyed?

No employment for men and all the opportunity for women to put off starting families?

Reforming the definition of marriage?

Sounded like liberalism bashing to me.

God's Truth

There is nothing silly about the things Jesus says to do and not to do.

Don't you care if you falsely judge? You falsely judged Jesus' words as being silly, and now you claim people are hating the poor.

God's Truth

You are wrong to call priests and the Pope "Father". There is no grey area. Why? Because when call a priest or a pope father you are not referring to them as your biological father, you are addressing them as your spiritual father. And God has said quite plainly, He is to be your ONLY spiritual Father.

The Catholics can't see the power in that command.

Right Divider

Body part
Do you not know how to copy and paste and quote the relevant information here, not many i would guess, waste their time clicking on a link that just says here.
Cruciform thinks that bogus RCC doctrine confirms the validity of bogus RCC doctrine. How terribly convenient.

It almost humorous the verses that they use to "support" the use of the term "Holy Father":
Acts 7:2 (RSV) And Stephen said: “Brethren and fathers, hear me. The God of glory appeared to our father Abraham, . . .”
Romans 4:12 . . . the father of the circumcised . . . our father Abraham . . .
Romans 4:16-17 . . . Abraham, for he is the father of us all, as it is written, “I have made you the father of many nations . . .” (cf. 9:10; Phil 2:22; Jas 2:21)
1 Corinthians 4:15 For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel.
In the first three, they (the writers) are talking about fathers as ACTUAL PHYSICAL ancestors.

And in the last one, PAUL is the father (and NOT Peter). I guess that they chose the wrong line for the "pope".

If also almost humorous that they DON'T follow Paul's advice in that passage either.
1Co 4:15-16 KJV For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel. (16) Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.

PureX

I heard bashing of both.

You wanna address what he said about the family unit being destroyed?
Sure, and that it's being destroyed by the systematic greed and exploitation of corporations, banks, Wall Street, and the politicians they buy like prostitutes, to do their bidding. Which certainly does apply to democratic politicians just as much as to the republicans. Yet the democrats are still at least a little bit ashamed of this behavior, and try to hide it. The republicans are downright proud of it, and tout greed and exploitation as if these were virtues; going to save us all from those horrible poor people, and emigrants, and the old and sick and unemployed.
No employment for men and all the opportunity for women to put off starting families?
Right, because our beneficent 'job-creators' (that republicans and conservatives so love and adore) have sent our manufacturing jobs to other countries, where they can exploit their citizens for even bigger profits. And because they discovered they could pay women 1/3rd less than men here at home to do the same jobs. It's all about the money!
Reforming the definition of marriage?
You'll note that what the pope says about this, to both Christians and non-Christians, alike, is to stop obsessing on these social issues and start acting on behalf of each other's well being.
Sounded like liberalism bashing to me.
Then you really need to clear out your ears.

God's Truth

Cruciform thinks that bogus RCC doctrine confirms the validity of bogus RCC doctrine. How terribly convenient.

It almost humorous the verses that they use to "support" the use of the term "Holy Father":
Acts 7:2 (RSV) And Stephen said: “Brethren and fathers, hear me. The God of glory appeared to our father Abraham, . . .”
Romans 4:12 . . . the father of the circumcised . . . our father Abraham . . .
Romans 4:16-17 . . . Abraham, for he is the father of us all, as it is written, “I have made you the father of many nations . . .” (cf. 9:10; Phil 2:22; Jas 2:21)
1 Corinthians 4:15 For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel.
In the first three, they (the writers) are talking about fathers as ACTUAL PHYSICAL ancestors.

And in the last one, PAUL is the father (and NOT Peter). I guess that they chose the wrong line for the "pope".

If also almost humorous that they DON'T follow Paul's advice in that passage either.
1Co 4:15-16 KJV For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel. (16) Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.

Yeah right, for Paul explains that he is like a father because he is a first, an apostle, and he is older than Timothy. He explains how Timothy is like a son to him, YET PAUL STILL CALLS TIMOTHY A BROTHER!

1 Thessalonians 3:2 We sent Timothy, who is our brother and co-worker in God's service in spreading the gospel of Christ, to strengthen and encourage you in your faith,

Paul says we do not have many fathers in Christ that is Paul speaking about the firsts, the apostles; however, Paul never tells anyone to call him 'father'. There are not many fathers in Christ, yet the perverted Catholic religion makes MANY fathers in Christ, for all the priests are called father! There are thousands upon thousand upon thousands of fathers in the Catholic perverted denomination.

Cruciform

The proof is the scriptures. The scriptures are the word of God. God says do not call anyone 'father' but God the Father; and, Jesus called God the Father "Holy Father".
Jesus called himself the "Good Shepherd." According to your "logic," then, we are forbidden to refer to human beings as "pastor" (shepherd), correct? (Back to Post #42.)

That's a name only reserved for God!

Nothing in Scripture states that it is "reserved for God," any more than "shepherd" is reserved for Jesus merely because the Bible calls him the "Good Shepherd." Try again.

Back to Post #21.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Last edited:

republicanchick

It made me cringe to hear even non Catholic reporters calling that sinful man 'Holy Father'.

yeh, words... they are HORRIBLE, aren't they?

they cause just horrendous amounts of damage..

ARe you also cringing when you SEE

how aborted babies in abortion "clinics" who live are then being killed? This was recently in the news.. a new bill in Congress.. but it appears you were too busy watching those dreaded cAtholics...

__