You have been removed from this thread

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
A lot of folks are jumping on that bandwagon.
Good riddance to them.
Sherman has done a good job here in accordance with the wishes of the site owner.
That is what she is supposed to do as a mod here.

We have a few 'Malcontents' on TOL. They're not too happy about this site. All they wanna do is bellyache and complain.

Lon

It's not a big deal, experientially. Those of us to whom it happens on a regular basis find our own humor in it, based on the ludicrousness of Christians moaning about censorship when they're so good at it themselves.
On a microcosm level. I don't really think much of any censor attempts. That said, I'd think you are like me and would rather not hear slights against our Lord and Savior but I'm assuming you aren't meaning that, here. :up:

But it's an interesting look at human behavior that may be small and inconsequential here, but has much larger implications in the real life ways people use their leverage in society based on their privileged status. It's MAD and/or SOOTs here, but in real life it's the ones in Trump's base who want someone on whom they can dump all their resentment and fear of losing their historic majority.
We all take away our own meaning from the world politics but to me, (and I'm okay with the disagreement) this is its own site with its own rules and not really duplicated on any other site I've been on. Maybe I need to get out more? :think: I just don't see TOL nor the way it works duplicated anywhere else. I think Knight was/is very tolerant, even with the conservative bent unapologetically. It might be worth a good conversation one day if an OP is started just right.

And what's especially interesting is that if they're so sure their views are correct, why the consternation at having them challenged?
See, I think this is part of that OP direction...When the Lord Jesus said not to cast pearls before swine, because they'd trample them in the mud, we certainly are risking those pearls at times. For me, the question is: "Is it my fault for casting them?" or "Is it his/her fault for trampling them?" To me, it seems a no-fault encounter when those who cast pearls want them to be treasured and those who don't value them trample them. Yet, at times, if they are asked for, I think infraction appropriate when they aren't even considered, just taunted from the other side of the fence to do a happy dance on them, etc. For me, the short is I see both sides and simply post where I am. I do realize I'm 'respectful' by nature though. I have one infraction warning on TOL and it wasn't intentional. I was saying a guy seemed to have a good head on his shoulders and that I couldn't picture a guy like that being unreasonable to get an infraction. At the time, a mod thought I was questioning the other's infraction. It was against the rules at that time. Since it contained no point value, I wear it as a humorous badge instead of being resentful about something I didn't believe I earned. It was just a no-point warning infraction. It was no big deal but I've seen it every day I log in for over 10 years I've been here on TOL.

glorydaz

mrscleaver_meme.png

I'm betting Anna thinks this went over our heads. Instead of having the guts to come right out and say what she thinks, she pretends to be above all that. These libs are truly the "new Puritans", and quite tyrannical about it, too. Nose too high in the air....

But, I suppose it passes as civil dialogue these days. :think:

drbrumley

I think the biggest thing I have seen is in the politics section. A republican before trump was raked over the coals on this board, and RIGHTLY so. But now it seems, and I could be wrong, but don't think so is Trump is still like the old dumb blowhard Republicans and now he gets a pass. I can't figure it out for the life of me.

TOL is STILL the best forum on the WWW though and no one can change my mind about that.

glorydaz

I think the biggest thing I have seen is in the politics section. A republican before trump was raked over the coals on this board, and RIGHTLY so. But now it seems, and I could be wrong, but don't think so is Trump is still like the old dumb blowhard Republicans and now he gets a pass. I can't figure it out for the life of me.

TOL is STILL the best forum on the WWW though and no one can change my mind about that.

AH HA...Your bias is showing. :chuckle:

But you do know a good forum when you find one. :thumb:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
On a microcosm level. I don't really think much of any censor attempts. That said, I'd think you are like me and would rather not hear slights against our Lord and Savior but I'm assuming you aren't meaning that, here. :up:

No, I'm not meaning that here at all. It wasn't part of the conversation. I'm talking about Christians posting threads about the censorship of Christians in real life and then doing the exact same thing to others here. The MAD/SOOTs group wanting perceived out-group members banned from TOL because they don't like the out-group beliefs, and pretending it's about out-group 'dishonesty' when it's not - the MAD/SOOTs crowd just doesn't seem to handle very well being challenged. Then there are members crowing over members banned from threads in the threads they've been banned from, knowing the member they're gossiping about can't respond. Micro, it's small. Anyone can walk away from here and many have. In the macro, this is how the privileged classes maintain their privilege.

We all take away our own meaning from the world politics but to me, (and I'm okay with the disagreement) this is its own site with its own rules and not really duplicated on any other site I've been on. Maybe I need to get out more? :think:

Do you or have you posted regularly (daily or weekly) on any other forum? Just curious.

See, I think this is part of that OP direction...When the Lord Jesus said not to cast pearls before swine, because they'd trample them in the mud, we certainly are risking those pearls at times. For me, the question is: "Is it my fault for casting them?" or "Is it his/her fault for trampling them?" To me, it seems a no-fault encounter when those who cast pearls want them to be treasured and those who don't value them trample them. Yet, at times, if they are asked for, I think infraction appropriate when they aren't even considered, just taunted from the other side of the fence to do a happy dance on them, etc. For me, the short is I see both sides and simply post where I am. I do realize I'm 'respectful' by nature though. I have one infraction warning on TOL and it wasn't intentional. I was saying a guy seemed to have a good head on his shoulders and that I couldn't picture a guy like that being unreasonable to get an infraction. At the time, a mod thought I was questioning the other's infraction. It was against the rules at that time. Since it contained no point value, I wear it as a humorous badge instead of being resentful about something I didn't believe I earned. It was just a no-point warning infraction. It was no big deal but I've seen it every day I log in for over 10 years I've been here on TOL.

Not everyone comes here for the religion forum, Lon. Some come for politics or science or sociological issues or what have you, and have no interest in talking about religion.

At the bottom of the home page it says: "On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else."

Spirited conversation isn't allowed much anymore though. musterion gets miffed because his OP is being challenged so he asks (and receives) the blocking of everyone whose opinion he doesn't want. Thread banning should be rarely used if at all, because it's killing "spirited conversation."

Again, because I didn't see a clear answer to my question: if they're so sure their views are correct, why the consternation at having them challenged?

Lon

No, I'm not meaning that here at all. It wasn't part of the conversation. I'm talking about Christians posting threads about the censorship of Christians in real life and then doing the exact same thing to others here. The MAD/SOOTs group wanting perceived out-group members banned from TOL because they don't like the out-group beliefs, and pretending it's about out-group 'dishonesty' when it's not - the MAD/SOOTs crowd just doesn't seem to handle very well being challenged. Then there are members crowing over members banned from threads in the threads they've been banned from, knowing the member they're gossiping about can't respond. Micro, it's small. Anyone can walk away from here and many have. In the macro, this is how the privileged classes maintain their privilege.

Do you or have you posted regularly (daily or weekly) on any other forum? Just curious.
Yes. A number of them are defunct now. I did leave CARM for some of this similar observation though. It seems to me, always which 'cop' handles your 'infraction.' Most are volunteer but some seem like "zealous rookies" to me at times :)

Not everyone comes here for the religion forum, Lon. Some come for politics or science or sociological issues or what have you, and have no interest in talking about religion.

At the bottom of the home page it says: "On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else."

Spirited conversation isn't allowed much anymore though. musterion gets miffed because his OP is being challenged so he asks (and receives) the blocking of everyone whose opinion he doesn't want. Thread banning should be rarely used if at all, because it's killing "spirited conversation."

Again, because I didn't see a clear answer to my question: if they're so sure their views are correct, why the consternation at having them challenged?
I can't really answer your question, but I do understand your frustration, I think. At least I see it anyway. I think I also see their side a bit too: They are already a 'fringe' group and so get a lot of scrutiny most often in not-so-nice terms. I'm generally the guy that tries to get Christians talking instead of posturing, though... Sorry I'm not much help, Anna.

glorydaz

Spirited conversation isn't allowed much anymore though. musterion gets miffed because his OP is being challenged

Nonsense. The OP isn't being challenged at all. The author of the OP is being slandered and attacked. Try to get your facts straight, Anna. The Left's best tactic is to censor anything conservative by degrading and attacking the person making the claim.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Nonsense. The OP isn't being challenged at all. The author of the OP is being slandered and attacked. Try to get your facts straight, Anna. The Left's best tactic is to censor anything conservative by degrading and attacking the person making the claim.

Obviously, Anna doesn't know what she's talking about. You'll have to excuse her.

glorydaz

I can't really answer your question, but I do understand your frustration, I think. At least I see it anyway. I think I also see their side a bit too: They are already a 'fringe' group and so get a lot of scrutiny most often in not-so-nice terms. I'm generally the guy that tries to get Christians talking instead of posturing, though... Sorry I'm not much help, Anna.

Common regular God fearing Americans are a "fringe group"?

And Christians "talking and not posturing"?

Really, Lon. Don't stoop to Anna's level, please.

I'm not seeing any Christians "posturing", nor are we a "fringe group".