You must be saved to believe the Gospel !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
1 Cor 1:18 shows that a person must be in a saved state to believe the Gospel.

18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

Now in contrast to the perishing lost, to whom the Cross preaching is foolishness, to them who are being saved, its the power of God ! Cp Rom 1:16

In 1 Cor 1:18 "us which are saved" is a present tense participle, indicating they are in a saved state, just like Paul was at the time, in a saved state, so he uses the pronoun plural US.

So we must be in a saved state to believe the Gospel, in perfect agreement with the contrast of being in a lost state, the Gospel is hidden resulting in believing not 2 Cor 4:3-4 !
Utter stupidity.

Calvin's (and B57's) god is unjust.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Nothing you showed changes anything.

Saying it doesn't make it so, B57. I showed you how you were wrong, and you come back with a one-liner as if that refutes what I said. Go back and read what I wrote again, and try to refute it, rather than making baseless statements.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I believe scripture,

If you believed scripture, then you would have no problem showing me how what I said in post #139 was incorrect. Instead, you chose to ignore it all and claim I'm incorrect.

what you think 1 Cor 1:18 is, the newspaper

As I showed in post #139, your interpretation of 1 Corinthians 1:18 is absurd.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Nothing you showed changes anything.

Here it is again:

No, it doesn't.

Otherwise you have scripture going against scripture.

Paul says, quite explicitly:

"Confession is made UNTO salvation."

Follow his line of reasoning, B57, rather than your a priori assumptions:

that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.”For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him.For “whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.”How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, Who bring glad tidings of good things!”But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “ Lord, who has believed our report?”So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.But I say, have they not heard? Yes indeed: “Their sound has gone out to all the earth, And their words to the ends of the world.”But I say, did Israel not know? First Moses says: “I will provoke you to jealousy by those who are not a nation, I will move you to anger by a foolish nation.”But Isaiah is very bold and says: “I was found by those who did not seek Me; I was made manifest to those who did not ask for Me.”But to Israel he says: “All day long I have stretched out My hands To a disobedient and contrary people.” - Romans 10:9-21 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans10:9-21&version=NKJV

"If you confess and believe, you will be saved."
"With the heart one believes unto righteousness."
"With the mouth confession is made unto salvation."
"Whoever believes will not be put to shame."
"The same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him."
"Whoever calls shall be saved."
"How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed?"
"How shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard?"
"How shall they hear without a preacher?"
"How shall they preach unless they are sent?"
"Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."
"Have they not heard? Yes indeed: “Their sound has gone out to all the earth, And their words to the ends of the world."

Ordo salutis:
  1. Preacher is sent, the sound of the word of God has gone out to all the earth, and the words to the end of the world.
  2. Preacher preaches Christ.
  3. People hear.
  4. Those who hear can (not necessarily "will") believe, have faith
  5. Those who believe in their hearts will call.
  6. Those who call, who confess with their mouth, shall be saved, made righteous.

Those who believe are NOT saved already, otherwise you're asserting that they were saved to believe so that they would be saved, which is not only redundant, but not what the Bible says.

It doesn't say what you want it to say.

It says that to those who are ALREADY SAVED, it's the power of God.

We don't need to be saved again! The Power of God is what saved us!

Again, We must be in a saved state to believe the Gospel to be saved?

We're already saved! We don't need to be saved again!

Leatherneck

Temp Banned
I believe scripture, what you think 1 Cor 1:18 is, the newspaper
Tools
Unchecked Copy Box
1Co 1:18 - For the preaching of the cross is to them that perishfoolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. The cross is foolishness to unbelievers. Are saved are believers.

marke

1 Cor 1:18 shows that a person must be in a saved state to believe the Gospel.

18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

Now in contrast to the perishing lost, to whom the Cross preaching is foolishness, to them who are being saved, its the power of God ! Cp Rom 1:16

In 1 Cor 1:18 "us which are saved" is a present tense participle, indicating they are in a saved state, just like Paul was at the time, in a saved state, so he uses the pronoun plural US.

So we must be in a saved state to believe the Gospel, in perfect agreement with the contrast of being in a lost state, the Gospel is hidden resulting in believing not 2 Cor 4:3-4 !
Those of us who got saved by coming to Jesus for forgiveness understand the power of the Word of God. Those who refuse to repent and come to Jesus for forgiveness do not understand the Word of God.

beloved57

Those of us who got saved by coming to Jesus for forgiveness understand the power of the Word of God. Those who refuse to repent and come to Jesus for forgiveness do not understand the Word of God.
So you just going to dis what that scripture is saying, like it doesnt even exist !

Leatherneck

Temp Banned
NoNMore evasion !
That is rich “ evading scripture” ! How about the jailer asking what must I do to be saved and being told believe on the Lord Jesus and you will be saved ! Now let’s watch the real evading of scripture begin. If the jailer could be saved by believing that means before he believed he was lost.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
The words of God Himself through His prophet Isaiah....

Isaiah 1:19 If you are willing and obedient,
you will eat the good things of the land;
20 but if you resist and rebel,
you will be devoured by the sword.”
For the mouth of the Lord has spoken.

Nanja

The words of God Himself through His prophet Isaiah....

Isaiah 1:19 If you are willing and obedient,
you will eat the good things of the land;
20 but if you resist and rebel,
you will be devoured by the sword.”
For the mouth of the Lord has spoken.

It is God who Makes His Elect Willing and Obedient
Rom. 5:19; Rom. 9:23; Ps. 110:3.

But He makes the non-elect resist and perish Rom. 9:22; Dan. 4:35; Rev. 21:8.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.