Alcoholics Anonymous(kinda)

PureX

I have been visiting Okinawa for evangelistic reason and have been staying at his house. It was OK when our mother was alive. His behavior was not too bad. But now mother is gone, he is becoming abusive to me even though I have been paying for all expenses plus a lot extra.

It seems what I pay him is not good enough. I am not going back to his house anymore. He has been giving me all kinds of demands, trying to control what I should be doing.

He is not happy unless I give him all he demands.

I have to find another place to stay.

His behavior is very much traditional irresponsible Okinawan male
behavior.
Actually, to refuse him may be the best thing for him. And for you.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Traditional ? Good luck and God bless you with that.

Yes, it was traditional.

Most my friends complain about their father how tyrant they were. But my family seemed to be the worst kind.

It is because the men is supposed to be bread winner and they treat them like king.

It seems to be this way in China, and Okinawans were the same.
It was this way when we were growing up.

I think they are changing to be like western now, influenced by western culture.

But bums are still there like my brother because he was not raised appropriately. My parents did not have ability to raise children. I was selfish myself.

I leaned to be decent by knowing Jesus' teachings.

Eric h

We know (2 Pe 2:1, 1 Co 13:8). :rolleyes:

As a reminder meshak is number 17 on Satan, Inc. (TOL Heretics list) in "The 'Jesus is not God' people (Non-trinitarians) category. :burnlib:

This should be a thread to help and support people, as our thread starter mentioned.......

You're welcome to post bible verses here when you find them relevant. I just don't want this to turn into a flame fest, ever.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
Dealing with some medical issues, but otherwise OK. How about you?

Great!! Back at work, doing what I must. :)

Day 67 and counting, have you got any tips, how are you coping?

Life is a journey always one day at a time.

I just looked at my drunk idiot ap- turns out its day 68!! WOO!! Nothing big- working the steps, meditating, doing what I need to do one day at a time.

PureX

It's a common occurrence with alcoholics to blame those around them for their negative predicaments. Playing the victim, and fostering resentments provides them with an endless, ongoing excuse to get drunk. And because most alcoholics don't want to acknowledge that they are alcoholic, and that this is why they always want to get drunk, they need to have those excuses always at the ready.

But that makes life very difficult for those who love or live with the alcoholic, because they're always being blamed by the alcoholic for the perpetual state of crisis that the alcoholic life brings with it. And it's sometimes hard for the loved ones to understand, and to remember that it's NOT THEIR FAULT. Alcoholics drink because they are alcoholic. And their lives become an endless chain of crises because drinking alcohol makes people make bad decisions, and behave like idiots. And none of this is anyone else's fault. It's just the nature of the addiction.

If anyone is reading this and living with an alcoholic, and is feeling like it's somehow their fault that the alcoholic drinks, or their responsibility to keep the alcoholic from drinking. Please understand that it's NOT YOUR FAULT, and it's not your responsibility to stop them from getting drunk. Don't let them put that on you. And refuse to accept it if they try.

PureX

I just looked at my drunk idiot ap- turns out its day 68!! WOO!! Nothing big- working the steps, meditating, doing what I need to do one day at a time.
There's a "drunk idiot ap"? :chuckle:

Man! There's an ap for everything!

Eric h

Great!! Back at work, doing what I must. :)
I just looked at my drunk idiot ap- turns out its day 68!! WOO!!

:BRAVO:

Nothing big- working the steps, meditating, doing what I need to do one day at a time.

We blunder through life, going from one crises to the next, somehow we have to face these events without the crutch of booze.

Your mind is the most powerful tool you have, it all starts with how you think, and I love this quote...

Watch Your Thoughts, For They Become Words,
Choose Your Words, For They Become Actions,
Understand Your Actions, For They Become Habits, Study Your Habits For They Become Your Character,
Develop Your Character,
For It Becomes Your Destiny.,

PureX

That's what I just thought. AA is ok for some, not for me.
AA works well for anyone who has finally reached that point where they realize they can't stop drinking, but they must stop drinking. Once they hit that 'between the rock and the hard place' they become willing to do whatever it takes. An that's when the program really works. But once an alcoholic has reached that point, there are other programs that will work, as well. Including Christian based programs. So although I am an advocate of AA for alcoholics who want to get and stay sober, I do not disparage other programs and methods. Whatever works, works.

The twelve step programs are especially effective, though, because they go beyond helping the alcoholic remain abstinent. They actually seek recovery. As my AA sponsor used to say: "abstinence is just a ticket to the show, recovery is the show, itself".

Quincy

I've never been one to drink alcohol. I'm far too carefree to be bothered by peer pressure and too lazy to learn to like anything, :chuckle: . My mother-in-law's had a rough go with it for most of her life, though. She seems to have finally kicked the habit but the way she acted before equates to having a one way ticket to a life of solitude and misery. I think it's amazing to see people stand up, take responsibility for their actions and make such a fundamental change. The great thing about it, is, not only does becoming sober make the person with the illness have a better life but it also improves everyone's life who is involved. One might say, getting sober is one of the greatest acts of love.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I've never been one to drink alcohol. I'm far too carefree to be bothered by peer pressure and too lazy to learn to like anything, :chuckle: . My mother-in-law's had a rough go with it for most of her life, though. She seems to have finally kicked the habit but the way she acted before equates to having a one way ticket to a life of solitude and misery. I think it's amazing to see people stand up, take responsibility for their actions and make such a fundamental change. The great thing about it, is, not only does becoming sober make the person with the illness have a better life but it also improves everyone's life who is involved. One might say, getting sober is one of the greatest acts of love.

Very true Quincy M.D.,

Alcoholism and/or drug addiction are extremely SELFISH illnesses -

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber

Very true Quincy M.D.,

Alcoholism and/or drug addiction are extremely SELFISH illnesses -

YES. I agree 100%