homeschooling lead to social deficiency?

erinmarie

jack jackson said:
I don't think it's selfish to want a break from your kids. Nearly every parent wants one, whether they admit it or not. It's true. It's good for your sanity. My kids were unplanned but I love them and enjoy being with them. But it's not wrong to have some "adult time" each day. It's perfectly normal and OK.

I think Turbo already covered the point I was going to make, but I'll continue anyways. I have three children 5 and under, and I take care of them all day pretty much on my own. (My husband has two jobs and an internet comic book store). Once a week, on a Friday or Saturday night, my husband will mind the store while I go out for one or two hours with my best friend, after I put my children to sleep. It's my "scheduled" break from my kids. Every once in awhile my husband and I will go to the movies, or dinner, but if we have a child under one year old, they almost always come with us. The way I see it is you have plenty of time for "alone time" when your children are older, and able to stay with a babysitter, or family member for longer amounts of time. And if you're referring to sex, you have all these "unplanned" children, it looks like you're able to make plenty of time for it.

I think that sending your child away from you for hours and hours everyday is not only selfish, it's also harmful to your child and their healthy development.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
jack jackson said:
I think so too

Then, why'd you say that parents need a break in the beginning? To me, that sounds like something my sister would say or something that a public school teacher would say.

jack jackson

BANNED
Banned
What I'm saying, Ebenz, is that parents have the right to some adult time each day. it's good for them. And it is not selfish.

Could you give me some references for free homeschool stuff please? I'd like to look at it.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
jack jackson said:
What I'm saying, Ebenz, is that parents have the right to some adult time each day. it's good for them. And it is not selfish.

Could you give me some references for free homeschool stuff please? I'd like to look at it.

All you have to do is do a google search for "free {grade} curriculum." In this case, I did "free preschool curriculum." Of course, I didn't use the quotation marks. Also, for low priced (read gently used) curriculum, try http://www.vegsource.com/homeschool/fsp2/index.html. I've bought curriculum and sold it on those boards. They seperate it out according to age groups. The page I gave you was for Pre-K to second grade.

Free worksheets for ages 3 to 6 to print out
http://home.earthlink.net/~stcarr/preschool.html

ABC Home Preschool - Preschool Curriculum
http://www.abchomepreschool.com/ and http://www.abchomepreschool.com/FreeActivities.htm

Downloadable alphabet curriculum
http://oblockbooks1.home.att.net/

Preschool Curriculum and Holiday Preschool Lessons
http://www.homeschoolinglibrary.com/preschool_lesson_plans.htm

Free coloring pages
http://www.free-coloring-pages.com/page/activity-6.html

Tanhithion

beefalobilly said:
I think a lot of what you have to say about public schools is kind of over-done, I mean it's not like kids go to public schools to get loaded and have sex. That stuff happens after school, and just because a kid is in church or youth group doens' tmean they won't be inovolved with that, I know plenty of kids who are regular with youth group and still go out and party and drink etc.

There are bad eggs no matter where you look. But I'll tell you what, kids don't get loaded and have sex after homeschooling. I've heard many stories about girls being raped on school property and hours, and I've seen for myself drug trading going on while school was in session...in sixth grade. That's unreal. Show me where that can happen during homeschooling.

There's always goign to be bad kids at public schools, but there's also going to be good kids who hang out together. I think if a parent has done their job, then there shouldn't be too big of a problem going to a public school.

True, but it's a little hard for a parent when your child is being force-fed that evolution is true, or that homosexual lifestyles should be tried by everyone, or that Bush is wrong (not that it's him specifically, I'm just saying that schools have no right to bash a President no matter who they are). Schools are handing out condoms to kids instead of teaching abstinence is a better way. Not one of these things are a problem with homeschooling.

And girls will be berated by guys no matter where you go.

I've never seen it with homeschoolers. I've always seen homeschooling boys to be chivalrous, and the girls to be ladylike. In public school, this was rare. Both sides were indecent to each other.

It's not public schools, it's the culture and nature of people.

People are not naturally drug abusers or fornicaters or sexist. They become this way - oftentimes during the public-schooling scenario.

And if you're really trying to protect your children from the influence of other people, then you'd have to cut off interaction with other people completely, there's going to be a negative influence just about anytime you interact with another person.

Completely untrue. I worked at Chick-Fil-A in West Virginia for a while, and many of the employees there were homeschooled. They were very outgoing, friendly, smart, and handled things well. Then I saw many people who used to be my friends who were still in public school. They'd come up to the counter, dressed in fishnets, faces like pincushions. They'd mumble a few words you could never hear. And this isn't an exaggeration, this is serious.

Homeschooling isn't locking your kid up in a plastic bubble like many want you to believe. It's education minus all the crap around it. You can have a good, clean atmosphere (provided where you work is like that), receive a Christian education, and learn social skills without being forced to be sexually harrassed or offered drugs or having the life beat out of you. Ever since I started homeschooling I've seen the degeneration of my former friends who are in public school. Of course it all isn't this way, some public schooling is good. But I have to admit to the fact that every person I ever met who is still in public school is either a pincushion, a drug addict, alcoholic, not a virgin, or has a mouth like you wouldn't believe. And I also have to admit to the fact I've never seen a homeschooler like this.

So, take it as you will. I'm just telling you how I see things. No offense meant to anyone.

Good day :)

Tanhithion

Whoops ^_^;; I'm very sorry. I forgot this was a forum for homeschooling teachers, and there was one for students. Please forgive ^_^;

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Tanhithion said:
Whoops ^_^;; I'm very sorry. I forgot this was a forum for homeschooling teachers, and there was one for students. Please forgive ^_^;

Well, since it was such a great post, we won't beat you up for it....this time. :eek: ;)

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
worth noting that Crow was a mod at this time:
I agree. I met Christine, her sister, and Nori's daughter when several of us got together for a meal last year. Not only did the three homeschooled young ladies have good social skills as their own little group, but they were impressive in their ability to interact well with adults.

By contrast, a friend's child and his public schooled buddies behave as I envision Neanderthals would. Scratch. Pick. Belch. Fart. The sound of lips smacking. Conversation: "Uh huh. Uh uh. No way. Maaaaaaannnn."

Now, you can write this off to being male, but I assure you that his fifteen year girlfriend is just as crass and gross as he is.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Most home schooled kids I know are involved is various "after-school" activities, like Boy/Girl Scouts, sports, piano, choir, volunteer work, etc.

An hour or two a day partaking in a social activity is quite different than interacting with fellow students for 8 hours a day.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I think Turbo already covered the point I was going to make, but I'll continue anyways. I have three children 5 and under, and I take care of them all day pretty much on my own. (My husband has two jobs and an internet comic book store). Once a week, on a Friday or Saturday night, my husband will mind the store while I go out for one or two hours with my best friend, after I put my children to sleep. It's my "scheduled" break from my kids. Every once in awhile my husband and I will go to the movies, or dinner, but if we have a child under one year old, they almost always come with us. The way I see it is you have plenty of time for "alone time" when your children are older, and able to stay with a babysitter, or family member for longer amounts of time. And if you're referring to sex, you have all these "unplanned" children, it looks like you're able to make plenty of time for it.

I think that sending your child away from you for hours and hours everyday is not only selfish, it's also harmful to your child and their healthy development.

My parents had me when they were 18 and were still wanting to live young and free lives. They got lots of adult time and I turned out terrible, just ask around.

PureX

Home schooling is not a panacea for the difficulties of public education. Nor is home-schooling some form of child abuse.

I'm sure it can work well for a lot of people, and for their children. Just as does public education. But home-schooling can also become a disaster if the parents are doing it for the wrong reasons, or are simply ill-equipped to take on such a complex and important responsibility.

Also, I think it's important to remember that home-schooling doesn't mean the children cannot participate in all the same group activities that are available to kids in public schools. Because they can, and they should be encouraged to do so.

badp

Home schooling is not a panacea for the difficulties of public education. Nor is home-schooling some form of child abuse.

I'm sure it can work well for a lot of people, and for their children. Just as does public education. But home-schooling can also become a disaster if the parents are doing it for the wrong reasons, or are simply ill-equipped to take on such a complex and important responsibility.

Also, I think it's important to remember that home-schooling doesn't mean the children cannot participate in all the same group activities that are available to kids in public schools. Because they can, and they should be encouraged to do so.

Christian private school is better than atheist homeschool.

Greg Jennings

In most cases I tend to agree with badp, here. I myself went to a Christian private school in Texas until 7th grade. There was no pushing of religion onto students in the classroom. The only thing that we did related to Christianity was attend chapel in the attached church once a week for 25 minutes. That was hardly taxing.

The teachers were well-qualified and with one exception, kept any religious opinions about our subject matter to themselves (when one teacher stated that human footprints were found inside of dinosaur prints, and that we can't say for sure that humans and dinos didn't live together; just one mention of it, though, nothing to write home about).

Based on my experience, I'd say that teachers employed at a Christian private school are more qualified to educate children than the vast majority of parents, regardless of belief.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In most cases I tend to agree with badp, here. I myself went to a Christian private school in Texas until 7th grade. There was no pushing of religion onto students in the classroom. The only thing that we did related to Christianity was attend chapel in the attached church once a week for 25 minutes. That was hardly taxing.

The teachers were well-qualified and with one exception, kept any religious opinions about our subject matter to themselves (when one teacher stated that human footprints were found inside of dinosaur prints, and that we can't say for sure that humans and dinos didn't live together; just one mention of it, though, nothing to write home about).

Based on my experience, I'd say that teachers employed at a Christian private school are more qualified to educate children than the vast majority of parents, regardless of belief.

As someone who also attended private, Christian schools, I agree with this statement.