toldailytopic: What vehicle would you put in your dream garage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memento Mori

We're discussing dream cars I believe, and whatever "dream car" means to (the royal) you, we're discussing. If your dream car drives about town and picks up your kids at soccer practice automatically, we'll talk about it. And believe me, if I owned a 550 Barchetta I'd be having some troubles; never mind waxing it every day, I'd be trying to bring it into bed to cuddle.

Oh, and now we're having a discussion. Last I checked this was more of a discourse. (Oh Lord) Gsweet, I'm being more facetious.

Take it to bed with you? Well I suppose I'd be doing the same.

The 550 and the 360 have a pretty similar cabin, so the whole "storage" thing is a moot point; they're both fabulously impractical cars for the price of a house.

My dad rented one in Las Vegas. He said he could have managed to drive it around daily

Well, I don't suppose I can fault you: a mid engine layout is going to handle better than a front engine. That said, you're not going to be able to really detect any performance differences between say, a 360 and 550, unless you're pushing both towards their respective limits. I'm willing to bet that most here (including myself) don't have the driving ability to even come close to doing that.

Well that's all I do. Forza Motorsport 3. I've upgraded my Modena's power output to keep up with the high A class but the suspension is purity. I haven't touched the handling and it's still a beast.

To put it another way, my dream driving experience is not necessarily to rip my own limbs off with G-forces at a track (where a mid-engine car shines...a la F50), but to cruise along on a back road in somewhere at a comfortable clip, under sunny skies. With an attractive woman in the front seat next to me (obviously).

Oh, well then my dream car is a Lotus Exige.

I've experienced a bevy of pretty ridiculously powerful vehicles. From older 911's to a high school friend's '66 GTO (with a bored over 454 dropped in it, mind you), to a family member's '94 Ferrari 348. Once you reach a certain power output in a smaller car, it becomes downright terrifying, especially in a rear-drive layout.

Well I haven't... You know you don't have to powder your nose in my face. The most powerful thing I've driven is probably my dad's 944 which is now a giant paperweight thanks to the previous owners lack of care.

I don't think any amount of horsepower is going to get you away from your track-tuned suspension on a pothole-ridden road.:think:

I still don't think you should be driving a 550 on a pothole ridden road. But I know where the potholes around here are and can avoid those roads.

Uh, yea. You don't find the California to be an amazing work of art?

Not really. I do like the exhaust design though but that nose just kills it for me. Long front ends just don't look good to me.

I bolded the important part for you. Keep in mind that Ferrari's heritage is steeped in front engine V12's...and the 550 Barchetta has a pretty timeless design as far as I'm concerned.

And I italicize the important part for you. The front end design was truly altered until Lotus' introduction of the Europa (which looks silly in all honesty. Although the new Europa S looks pretty cool).

Because it is a Vector, and not a Ferrari. If you're priorities lie strictly with performance (and you're actually spending your own money), you probably wouldn't want a Ferrari. You can get similar speed/handling/etc from a car that costs a fraction of the black stallion on yellow. If you want rarity, you can buys something that some guy made 5 of in his garage 40 years ago. But a Ferrari is a pretty special beast, and a very low-volume production one is something that I drool over indeed.

Well the Lamborghini Reventon only had 40 produced, has an LP640 V-12. I didn't realize we were spending our own moneys! That's certainly not how my dream goes...

I don't necessarily derive "sexy body" from performance (strictly), and I think it's clear that we have a disconnect here. A beautiful car is termed as such through a mixture of performance, heritage, pure superficial appearance, and a handful of other factors (smell, sound, feel, etc). Let's put it this way, from a strictly visual perspective, I find an early 1960's Ferrari Testarossa infinitely more appealing than just about any current offering.

From a purely visual perspective the 360 is still my choice. It's incredibly smooth, wonderfully elegant, not too sporty or showy. It's a very simple and smooth design which draws the eye just enough without shoving it in one's face. The 550 just seems more akin to the American, in-your-face, muscle. It is very smooth but it's too showy for me. I prefer a little more subtlety which the 360 does more to offer than the 550.

A '90s Testarossa would work for you then. Just out of curiosity, why a Modena and not a 430 or the new 458?

Well the 360 is the heritage for the 430 and the Italia. I do love those cars but the 360 is the granddaddy.

And the Testarossa I've just seen too much of. My dad loves to draw cars and his designs usually stem from the Testa. When it comes to cars my dad and I tend to conflict. I prefer the new Elise but my dad loves the Esprit. Just one of those generational things I guess.

keypurr

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 13th, 2010 11:32 AM

A paid up one.

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
a two seat sports car convertible with a manual transmission

it is just a dream
so
I can't tell you the make

genuineoriginal

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 13th, 2010 11:32 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I had this nightmare that my vehicle was in the garage and the repair bill was greater than the original cost.
:doh:

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
1969 Chevelle SS. All flat black, white wall tires, with a motor built by my uncle Dan, who was a GM mechanic for YEARS. He is currently building a 69 Corvette, so I hope he'd make mine moderately quick.:car:

That or a 1964 Cadillac Coupe Deville convertible. All flat black, white wall tires. Made to float over anything!! Like riding on a :cloud9:

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Saturn-Sky_2007_Auto+Cars+Blog+(3).jpg

Mine. Saturn Sky - Turbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.