The earth is flat and we never went to the moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
As said already, you are reading from a chart that allows you to find what would be visible if you dunked your head in the water to observe from exactly sea level. From above the sea level your line of sight does descend to sea level at the horizon, when th epath is tangential to the curve of the Earth.

So, applying Pythagoras' Theorem to both sides of this point, instead of just one, a view point of just 65' as seems right for your photo means that you can see anything over 80' above sea level at Dover. Refraction would cause more to be visible.

So yes, I'd really expect to be able to see most of the cliffs from Calais.

(Pythagoras' Theorem maths is really quite simple, so check it out for yourself.)

A six foot person standing on the beach at Calais would not see the cliffs.

How high up would one have to be to see them?

You live there, go and see for your self.

--Dave

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
View attachment 25102

Not only would we not be able to see the cliffs from the beach, we would have to believe that the water is not level which is preposterous.

And the cliffs would not be perpendicular to the view from Calais.

--Dave

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
View attachment 25102

Not only would we not be able to see the cliffs from the beach, we would have to believe that the water is not level which is preposterous.

And the cliffs would not be perpendicular to the view from Calais.

--Dave
Once again you utterly failed to not only grasp basic physics and mathematics, but you completely ignored what he said. I STRONGLY recommend you read his post again.

Also, I gave a number of 75 feet above sea level, not 6 feet. The reason for that is that you DID NOT give a camera height for your photo. You are also NOT taking into consideration atmospheric refraction, so any answer on that chart you have will only be accurate on a planet the size of Earth that does not have an atmosphere.

Answer my question. Can we know anything about the stars in you flat-earth's dome?

Sent from my Pixel XL using TheologyOnline mobile app

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You are the idiot. We have just explained this to you THREE TIMES, and you still say it's not possible, even though we have told you it is.

An explanation that tells me I can see a 300 foot cliff behind a 600 foot wall of water contradicts itself.

That the water from Dover to Calais is not level is non sense.

--Dave

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
An explanation that tells me I can see a 300 foot cliff behind a 600 foot wall of water contradicts itself.

That the water from Dover to Calais is not level is non sense.

--Dave

(Knight, if this is too much, let me know and I'll tone it down a bit.)

Dave, If someone was looking in the direction of the cliff from sea level, then your statement would be correct. BUT THAT"S NOT WHAT WE WERE CALCULATING FROM! THAT'S NOT THE HEIGHT OF YOUR PHOTOS!!!! NOR IS IT THE HEIGHT WE USED TO EXPLAIN HOW THE EARTH WORKS TO YOU!!!! How many times do we have to beat it into your thick skull that you are WRONG! And not just wrong out of misunderstanding, you're wrong because you are willfully ignorant of reality, and it's making you stupid.

You keep saying that the water wouldn't be level on a globe. You're wrong. If gravity is pulling everything towards the center of the Earth equally, then you need to account for that. You are not. Your assumption is that gravity is pulling in only one direction on the globe. That assumption is wrong. What you and I consider "down" is towards the center of the earth. That doesn't change regardless of where you are on the earth. That means that water will distribute itself evenly.

Enough on this, because we're clearly not getting anywhere. Now answer my question.

Can we know anything about the stars in your flat-earth's dome?

gcthomas

A six foot person standing on the beach at Calais would not see the cliffs.

How high up would one have to be to see them?

You live there, go and see for your self.

--Dave

A person stood on the beach should be able to see anything above about 180 feet of the cliffs, according to my calculations and not allowing for refraction. The cliffs are quite big and close to France.

But you still haven't explained why I can't see the bottom of the cliffs and lighthouse when I looked the other day. If the sea was flat, is have been able to, so your bizarre claim is thoroughly refuted by reality.

Greg Jennings

There are videos that show what they actually look like without NASA photo shop. But I get hell for even suggesting that any one should view a video that might support flat earth theory. So I'm saying they exist, God fore bid that should ask you to view it. So, just saying.

--Dave

That's because many of us here have seen the planets through our own telescopes. You could too if you put some effort into it

Jose Fly

What does your post mean? :idunno:

Dave has made it quite clear that just like with his creationist beliefs, his flat-earth beliefs stem from Christianity.

In other discussions here over the years I've seen Christians cite extreme and/or crazy beliefs of a few members of a group as reflective of that group as a whole....Muslims, atheists, Catholics, scientists....so I figure it's only fair to do the same here.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Funny how that works with some subjects and beliefs, but not others. :rolleyes:
It's an arguable point, but not one that's helping you with this one.

Dave has made it quite clear that just like with his creationist beliefs, his flat-earth beliefs stem from Christianity.
And Charles Manson's direction to murders were founded in his understanding of a Beetle's album.

Should we have charged John, Ringo and Paul? Or ridiculed their record? :plain:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

In other discussions here over the years I've seen Christians cite extreme and/or crazy beliefs of a few members of a group as reflective of that group as a whole....Muslims, atheists, Catholics, scientists....so I figure it's only fair to do the same here.
We prefer that folks at least attempt to add something of value to the thread. Otherwise find another thread that interests you.

If you are just going to stand on the sidelines and make distracting comments I'll just ban you.

Jose Fly

It's an arguable point, but not one that's helping you with this one.

Oh, I think it's a very valid point. It may be a point that some folks would rather not have to think about or deal with, but it's still quite valid.

And Charles Manson's direction to murders were founded in his understanding of a Beetle's album.

Should we have charged John, Ringo and Paul? Or ridiculed their record? :plain:

Exactly. Yet some here do that sort of thing fairly regularly with groups they don't like....gays, Muslims, Catholics, atheists....

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So.... I haven't read all the posts in this thread nor have I watched the videos so maybe this has already been covered but can someone tell me what is supposed to happen if you get to the edge of the earth? What will you see? Will you not be able to fall off? Does the dome keep you in?

Does the South pole actually not exist?

Just curious.

Jose Fly

We prefer that folks at least attempt to add something of value to the thread. Otherwise find another thread that interests you.

If you are just going to stand on the sidelines and make distracting comments I'll just ban you.

Well, I suppose I could jump in and attempt to debate a flat-earth vs. spherical-earth, but IMO some things are just too ridiculous to debate.

Instead I preferred to note the obvious parallels between Dave's rationale and framework and those from some of the creationists here he's arguing with. And of course there's the issue of people chastising Dave for ignoring science in favor of his beliefs, but not doing the same for folks like 6days and Stripe.

But then, I realize not everyone is a student of human behavior and is fascinated by such things, so if me making such observations is offensive to you, I'll just politely bow out of the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.